Shortened turnaround times for TV? (1 Viewer)

BurkartFan

Nitro Member
Alan just said over the PA that the teams have been notified they have a 65 minute turnaround for today - due to the hard TV time. :mad: It's bad enough when weather makes that necessary, but for TV, when we're already abused often enough by TV?

I know, I know...it's better than when we waited two weeks for a brief TNN recap of the race, but it sucks that the teams are really going to be crunched for the sake of making the TV window. I hope it doesn't end up affecting the actual racing today! Maybe teams will get lucky and not need the full normal time. :(

Alan just said over the PA that the teams have been notified they have a 65 minute turnaround for today - due to the hard TV time. :mad: It's bad enough when weather makes that necessary, but for TV, when we're already abused often enough by TV?

I know, I know...it's better than when we waited two weeks for a brief TNN recap of the race, but it sucks that the teams are really going to be crunched for the sake of making the TV window. I hope it doesn't end up affecting the actual racing today! Maybe teams will get lucky and not need the full normal time. :(

Hmmm maybe they should tell the b-ball games that they have less time outs next time,lol. yea right

I thought it was a Great Show and hope that they make more future races 65 minutes. It was nice to see the finals on live tv instead of having to listen to it on the internet.

Lisa, I believe most of these teams are completing their between round maintenance within this time anyways.

Also, if you hang back in the pits as some of the round 1 top fuel winners come back and do maintenance. You'll notice some cars are refired by 11:45am.

Lisa, I'm with you. Is it really fair to shorten the time, just to get the final live.?? Seems like it may be tough on the small crew teams.

Maybe it's better to tape delay and let the teams have the same time at every race??

It was great having live finals.Very well done NHRA ,ESPN,and all the teams who got it done.

Even JF had to pack a parachute,very cool.

I got to the track at 8:30, and Chris Demke was getting ready to warm up. I asked what was up, they said 2nd round of alky was running at 9:30 because of the live TV. It was strange seeing finals run at 3:30! Since I had over 4 hrs till my flight, it made easy for me hang around the winners circle for a change.

I think aiming toward having live finals more often would be great! Especially if it doesn't hamper the teams' ability to service the cars. Question for Joe Sherwood: How many events do you attend each year? I look forward to your pics, and I was just thinking, man, I think that Joe attends more meets than a lot of race teams!

I think aiming toward having live finals more often would be great! Especially if it doesn't hamper the teams' ability to service the cars. Question for Joe Sherwood: How many events do you attend each year? I look forward to your pics, and I was just thinking, man, I think that Joe attends more meets than a lot of race teams!

I've attended around 8-9 for the last 10 years, last year I went to 11 but I won't do that this year. Next race is Chicago.;)

Lisa, I'm with you. Is it really fair to shorten the time, just to get the final live.?? Seems like it may be tough on the small crew teams.

Maybe it's better to tape delay and let the teams have the same time at every race??

My TIVO worked just fine at 8pm last night. Yesterday was the warmest day in 5 month here and the sun was out, so it was not a TV day.

didn't even now the finals were live. As long as I see it the same day live or taped doesn't matter to me

I think the NHRA should go to each team having 2 cars in the nitro teams. Then they could turn them around every 30 minutes! If the NHRA could figure how to run a national event on Sundays in a 3-3&1/2 hour time frame, maybe the events would be all live!

As long as the ability of the crews to safely and completely service the car is not hampered, then reduce the time to 65 mins. But when it starts to affect the crew's ability to service the car, which could possibly endanger the driver(s), then the NHRA should step in and say that X amount of time is needed to service these cars. I wouldn't mind waiting another few hours to see the race on tape delay. Safety is number one.

They don't tell the stick and ball sports to limit their timeouts or half time shows. There's a lot more at stake with an 8000 HP nitro car than with any ball game.

They don't tell the stick and ball sports to limit their timeouts or half time shows.

In fact it's the other way around. TV ADDS time to the game to get in more commercials. Commercial after an extra point, kick off then another commercial break, etc. I believe during most college and pro basketball games they have planned TV timeouts. It's even worse during playoffs.

Other motor sports have been affected, look at the proliferation of night racing in NASCAR.

you think we reacted to 1000' racing!?
just think what would happen if they introduced 7 inning games!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back