RUMOR MILL - IS PRO STAGING A BIG-MONEY RACE AHEAD OF 2024 NHRA SEASON OPENER? (1 Viewer)

I heard about this a few months ago, from what I understand Tony Stewart wants to produce an event similar to his SRX series made for TV. My guess is that TV sponsors will put up the $$.
Where the race will be held is the big question.

Anyone remembering Don Garlits and the PRO back in the 70's?
I was at the ‘72 & ‘73 National Challenges at Tulsa.
Drove from Little Rock to Tulsa in a 1962 Ford Galaxie. I slept in my car in a Holiday Inn parking lot both times.
At the ‘73 race Dick Landy was staying at the same Holiday Inn where I was. He had the car up on jacks and the crew was working underneath the car.
They were using some kind of cleaner they were wiping on something.
Next thing you know an incandescent shop light fell to the ground and everybody scattered thinking the spark would ignite the cleaner. Thankfully the cleaner was not gasoline and nothing happened.
For some reason that event is the first thing I think of when someone mentions those two races.

I don't think NHRA will let them use Gainesville, I'm guessing Orlando.
Orlando has had pretty big events in the past, Doorslammer Nationals, World Street Nationals, Pro Mod races, Tom Bailey's Sick Week (where there were over 300 cars), etc. And the track has a good reputation for grip.
This is my analsis of the possible track locations.
Gainesville, Bristol and Charlotte. These locations have plenty of parking and have hosted national events. But NHRA may not want to rent either track to another organization.
The 3 other possible locations are, like you said, Orlando, Bradenton and one nobody has mentioned, South Georgia Motosports Park. If the event is held in one of these tracks in February, it could be used as a test and tune for the Gator Nationals.
As for Orlando, the only possible problem would be seating. There's not enough.
If it happens in Orlando, OMG! I could go for the warmups in the morning, come home for lunch and go back for the eliminations in the afternoon.

Possibly South Georgia Motorsports Park (a.k.a. Valdosta). Good facility, has held many large events, reasonable weather that time of year, no "home track" advantage for anyone.

If they had built the supertrack @ COTA, that would have been a perfect location for this as the opening event.
But they didn't...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back