Pro Stock Rumor (1 Viewer)

Seems to me they have struggled at Phoenix more often than not so you would think most wouldn’t miss that one.

While I feel bad saying this if they do not run Phoenix next year it will not be the end of the world, I just hope we get something extra to replace them like Factory stock or Pro Mod or even Alky cars. Even as someone who religiously followed pro stock for many years I find myself tuned out and not following as closely anymore. Honestly I think I spent more time in the sportsman pits than walking the pro stock pits at the nationals this year and other than chatting with Matt Hartford or once in awhile Greg Anderson there is really nobody I look forward to chatting with. Its not that there are not terrific people in the class there are but folks I followed and chatted with for many years just are not there anymore. Once the folks I became good friends with, WJ/KJ/Arlene, Mark Wolfe and especially the Rivera's stopped racing it took some of the rooting interest out of the class for me.

it is going to be a slow prolonged death. I lost most interest in the class when it became pro camaro.
FSS is much better racing FSS is what PS should be.
In Norwalk I did not even go into the pS pit area, weird for me.

I spent about an hour yesterday evening on YouTube watching old '80's and '90's Pro Stock videos (along with some old Modified Production) and just loved it. Even knowing the outcome I really enjoyed reminiscing.

I agree with Ken when it comes to FSS in that it is exactly what Pro Stock should be. Really looking forward to spending a couple of days at Indy here in a couple of weeks or so and checking these things out up close. Although it appears to already be headed the way of Pro Stock with regards to expense, I will remain hopeful that NHRA will be better stewards of the class than they were with Pro Stock keep them somewhat reigned in.

Sean D

Just throwing this out there, but what changes would any of us had made to preserve the class? It's an unfortunate by product of competition that things evolve, things change until only the best are left. When the class first showed up, it was to showcase factory hot rods with modifications that weren't allowed in super stock classes. It evolved from cars built from a factory "body in white" to allow tube chassis, V8 Vegas, clutchless transmissions, split carbs, then EFI, stretched, narrowed bodies, altered wheelbases and on and on until the cars are all identical because that's what the wind tunnels dictate. What was the alternative? Race Hemi 'Cudas for 45 years? Who's going to pay to watch a 9-second pro stocker when a Demon off the showroom floor, with the right setup will do that? It is what it is, cars got faster, technology came in as it always does and now evertyone's up in arms, blaming NHRA. So seriously, what could we have done differently?

Just throwing this out there, but what changes would any of us had made to preserve the class? It's an unfortunate by product of competition that things evolve, things change until only the best are left. When the class first showed up, it was to showcase factory hot rods with modifications that weren't allowed in super stock classes. It evolved from cars built from a factory "body in white" to allow tube chassis, V8 Vegas, clutchless transmissions, split carbs, then EFI, stretched, narrowed bodies, altered wheelbases and on and on until the cars are all identical because that's what the wind tunnels dictate. What was the alternative? Race Hemi 'Cudas for 45 years? Who's going to pay to watch a 9-second pro stocker when a Demon off the showroom floor, with the right setup will do that? It is what it is, cars got faster, technology came in as it always does and now evertyone's up in arms, blaming NHRA. So seriously, what could we have done differently?

FACTORY BODIES. I understand technology progresses and has to evolve. My main complaint is they DO NOT look like factory cars.
FSS is perfect. As Sean said costs are quickly getting out of control and I agree.
But as in all of life there are going to be the "haves" and "have nots".
Some people drive Toyotas and others drive Porsches.
Some race brackets, others Nitro.
When a class gets too expensive for the rich to keep playing it will go away or regulate itself such as PS.
IMO PS should be the existing power plants, chassis and technology in a factory body
FSS as is manufacturers body and power plant.

So seriously, what could we have done differently?

Not let them turn into funny cars with doors would have been a start. Allowing pro mod at national events seems to have been the beginning of the end of the class.

Adopting EFI when the industry did would have been nice as well.

Has NHRA even talked to the manufacturers (domestic and foreign) to see what they want to see on the track (not saying they haven't asked, it's a honest question).

I'd be surprised if Pro Stock is around in 2 years. It seems to be the "Super Gas" of the professional series - mostly appeals to the racers themselves.

so no bikes,no pro stocks,no pro mods,14 or 15 tf and fc,wow does not sound like fun,ive been going for over 25 years and i think i will save my money and go to the MARCH MEET

The NHRA does a tv piece on Elite and are allowed access to their engine room AND dyno and it doesn’t occur to them that with no more innovations to be secretive about it is foreshadowing the demise of Pro Stock?

Not let them turn into funny cars with doors would have been a start. Allowing pro mod at national events seems to have been the beginning of the end of the class.

Has NHRA even talked to the manufacturers (domestic and foreign) to see what they want to see on the track (not saying they haven't asked, it's a honest question).

I'd be surprised if Pro Stock is around in 2 years. It seems to be the "Super Gas" of the professional series - mostly appeals to the racers themselves.

Adding to your good points.....
I would have liked NHRA do something to encourage manufacturers to stay in the class, even adding Lexus, (who has rear-drive coupes) or other manufacturers. Pro Camaro is boring as hell. Pro stock was the only category that drew me to NHRA, now I don't even watch on TV, much less pay $$$ to go in person. !6 nearly identical cars just has zero appeal, and a "Mustang" with a GM PS motor is just ridiculous to me.
Pro Mod is meeting the same fate, aesthetically speaking, with most of those cars as generic blobs. No point in even saying "that is a Camaro" or "that is a Corvette", just call it a PM and be done with it.

Yea but super gas is still around tho lol

Pro Stock, in its first couple of years, was a great class. The variety of cars and the colorful drivers' names helped set it apart from the fuel classes. While the fuel cars were fun to watch, seeing and hearing, Ronnie Sox or Herb McCandless banging gears on a factory built four-speed was a great adrenaline rush. I loved the class.
NHRA's allowing Grumpy to run a tube chassis in 1972 was the beginning of the end of the original intention of the Pro Stock class.
The weight break years drove Chrysler out of the game. Plus, Ford was also penalized for being too good.
After seeing FSS at this year's Gators, I wanted the current PS class to go away, and be replaced by FSS. However, those cars are quickly getting very expensive. I'd hate to see it get much more out of hand.
The one rule I'd like to see implemented for PS is: If it's not available directly from the factory, it can't be used.
It goes without saying the engine must be of the same manufacturer as the body.
After that, let the best driver/car combination win.

I totally agree with the factory bodies. But would that make any difference in encouraging a variety of cars? If one car has better aero, everyone's going to use it anyway. Engines? Same thing. The days of a Bob Glidden coming along and succeeding (ie. Dominating) through hard work and intelligence is gone. No matter the class, money rules all and there's no quick fix for that. I thought I knew cars until I started really paying attention to the pro stockers, they are truly technological marvels and once they started reaching the edge of the envelope of performance, the pack started catching up and now they're all the same except the color. It's how racing works, sad to say.

I understand your point but if they actually looked like what you could buy the factories might still be involved.
When Talking to Allen Johnson in Gainesville at the Dart preview he stated NHRA would not approve the Challenger.
Really Dodges premier muscle car can not run in PS, does not fit the mold?? So a 4 cylinder 4 door does.

When they got away from the body in white and the generally available street engine is when it went down hill. It's just a turned into a boring class.
grpinto01.jpg

Thx nhra for the awful coverage of pro stock. We know you hate pro stock. Its obvious.

I understand your point but if they actually looked like what you could buy the factories might still be involved.
When Talking to Allen Johnson in Gainesville at the Dart preview he stated NHRA would not approve the Challenger.
Really Dodges premier muscle car can not run in PS, does not fit the mold?? So a 4 cylinder 4 door does.

You do know that they presented NHRA with a scaled down version of the Challenger to compete with the current makes in PS. It was the only way for the Challenger to be competitive due to the poor aerodynamics.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back