Race Engine Development (1 Viewer)

DaveRenk

Nitro Member
If you were starting a new engine program from scratch (example: the new Ford stuff), where would you start and what would be your progression? Let's assume you have everything needed to fire up the engine.

I'm thinking that you would start with the camshaft then go to the intake manifold followed by the combustion chambers. Any thoughts here?

From what I've always heard $ read..heads are the key.

Would be a fun job and I sure respect the gear heads.

I would personally start on the Induction system and look into various ways to stabilize the valve train. (Recently read a article that would debate that)

The Flow Bench is just a tool, getting caught into numbers can sometimes lead you down the wrong path. You can easily manipulate the outcome in a more marketable standpoint like a lot of shops do to sell products. You can learn a ton from a Flowbench (dry or wet) or a SpinTron, it's just knowing how to interrupt what the results are saying and building a better power plant in the long run...

I'm gonna watch this thread. :D It will be interesting to see where this goes. I would figure that the heads/intake/carbs/camshaft would be key, but I'm not anywhere near an expert. I'm assuming that when you get to the Pro Stock level, the bottom end is basically the same (okay, not really, but all the tricks that would work on a GM or Dodge should work with a Ford short block?) and the induction system would be the key?

I would think all things induction would be the major part. Got to efficiently get the most air in there to make the most power.

Sean D

What a great thread, thanks for starting it.

I seem to remember reading that back in the day, Bob Glidden spent an unbelievable amount of money on differnt camshafts trying to maintain his edge.

When you look at the Summit team and their reported ties to NASCAR technology, exotic metals, and the mulitiude of things that could have an effect on the horsepower numbers, it has to be staggering. I would think that it may even turn out that something that makes additional power in one area robs the motor of power in another area, maybe not.

I've thought about how Warren Johnson, who had the edge for quite some time, has been passed up by some of the newcomers. What do they know that he doesn't? Where did they pick up that extra horsepower, and why can't Warren find the same results? It can't be from lack of resources, I've heard that his engine shop has state of the art everything.

I remember reading that one of the guru's, maybe Glidden or Johnson, or someone else, said that an internal combustion motor is nothing more than an air pump, and the goal was to move the air/gasoline mixture through it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I'm also not so sure about that comment someone made about the guys not using the dyno. It seems that every time they talk about Jason Line, they're always mentioning how valuable he is to the team and how much dyno time he puts in looking for horsepower for their team.

Last edited:
I remember reading that one of the guru's, maybe Glidden or Johnson, or someone else, said that an internal combustion motor is nothing more than an air pump, and the goal was to move the air/gasoline mixture through it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Yep, that's all it is...... Sounds like a good and simple game plan to me. :confused: Well maybe not simple.

I've thought about how Warren Johnson, who had the edge for quite some time, has been passed up by some of the newcomers. What do they know that he doesn't? Where did they pick up that extra horsepower, and why can't Warren find the same results? It can't be from lack of resources, I've heard that his engine shop has state of the art everything.

Couple of things:

Check out the MPH from a lot of the races this past year.
The large majority warren is within .5mph and in some cases in the top 2-3 guys at an event (kurt included).

The major thing from this past year is they really haven't gotten a solid suspension baseline as you can tell from the 60fts. They never really got in the .98x range consistently as Edwards, Anderson/Line, and AJ did (if not better).

He still works 12 hour days, and from my understanding is still in the process of testing things from 2-3 years back.

we can sit here and talk about it , guess , and assume theroies, but we will never know the real tricks htese teams have for getting additional HP from these engines. they spend countless hours of R&D to get 1,400 plus HP out of a 500 in engine with 2 holley carbs, its amazing when you think about it . @ over10,000 rpms im guessing valve train dynamics and stabilty is a big factor. and thats only the engines not the cars and rest of the combos, all pro stock teams should be congratulated on thier efforts.

Well whatever you decide to do you're going to need to start off with a few 55 gallon drums full of $100 bills.

Most "new" programs seem to start with a great deal of "known" points of origin. For example the Harley Pro Stock bikes borrowed a great deal of known and proven Illmor assets in the original design.

I'd look at the rules first, existing technology second and last, but not least, fill in the gaps by thinking forward.

In the end, it's gotta spin, it's gotta breathe and it's gotta live the requisite amount of time to complete the task.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back