More on the Changes for Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

stitcherbob

Nitro Member
"Says (Jason) Line, “We told NHRA that if we had to uncover and show everything we are doing, we would have driven out the front gate. It’s not a crate-motor class; it’s a class that if you do something innovative, you should get rewarded—not penalized."

unfortunately it's going to become just that....crate DRCE motors in all sorts of bodies

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/2016-pro-stock-problems-solutions-future/

"According to the nhra.com staff:

“Body choice must be from a 2009 or later NHRA-accepted 2-door or 4-door coupe or sedan—domestic or foreign—production vehicle. Body, drivetrain, chassis, etc. may not be altered, modified, or relocated, except as outlined in Requirements & Specifications in the Rulebook. Minimum weight at conclusion of run: 2,350 pounds, including driver. Minimum weight on the rear axle at conclusion of run: 1,100 pounds, including driver.

“The engine still must be an internal-combustion, reciprocating, naturally aspirated, single camshaft, 90-degree V-8 (i.e., cylinder bank must be at a 45-degree angle from the camshaft/crankshaft centerline, creating a combined 90-degree angle) automotive-type engine with a maximum 500 cid. Aftermarket blocks permitted if designed and cast with OEM approval, and currently accepted by NHRA.”

June 2017 Hot Rod....I think this article was overlooked on previous pro stock discussion threads, and I had never heard that Jason Line quote before...

my guess is, since Jason has the only major sponsor in the class and that sponsor pays NHRA also, they would have been told 'good riddance' once they defied the rule

smarter = faster. if PS sticks around as we know it, i hope there's still room for the really smart guys to be smart.

I find it hard to believe so many teams knew very little about EFI. How far behind the times are we? Just my opinion but I think PS should move from 500 to 400 CI. It would wipe the slate clean and maybe bring in more teams to try making the combo work. There are only a few engines builders in PS that are competitive with 500CI.

I was looking to purchase a certain 2015 Rick Jones pro stock Camaro roller from an "unamed" racer to fit my lard butt in it a couple of weeks ago. When I told him I wanted to run top sportsman with it and was hoping to run low 6 second passes in it he refused to sell me the car. He said "Have RJ build you a 112-115" long car or you'll end up sliding backwards through the finish line with it at a some of the less prepared divisional tracks. The nameless driver told me he believes NHRA should address the issue of the 105" wheelbase rule on P/S cars and said it has been mentioned to them. I looked up a bone stock 2015 Camaro sold at the local Chevy dealer and off the showroom floor and they are 110.7" He said the issue of safety (or lack of it) by requiring a pro stock car, that is supposed to resemble the actual car, being forced to run a short wheelbase when handling is already an issue especially toward the finish line is pretty crazy. We guessed NHRA has the short wheelbase rule in place as one of those rules left over from the days when Chevy Vegas and Ford Pintos were raced.

I was looking to purchase a certain 2015 Rick Jones pro stock Camaro roller from an "unamed" racer to fit my lard butt in it a couple of weeks ago. When I told him I wanted to run top sportsman with it and was hoping to run low 6 second passes in it he refused to sell me the car. He said "Have RJ build you a 112-115" long car or you'll end up sliding backwards through the finish line with it at a some of the less prepared divisional tracks. The nameless driver told me he believes NHRA should address the issue of the 105" wheelbase rule on P/S cars and said it has been mentioned to them. I looked up a bone stock 2015 Camaro sold at the local Chevy dealer and off the showroom floor and they are 110.7" He said the issue of safety (or lack of it) by requiring a pro stock car, that is supposed to resemble the actual car, being forced to run a short wheelbase when handling is already an issue especially toward the finish line is pretty crazy. We guessed NHRA has the short wheelbase rule in place as one of those rules left over from the days when Chevy Vegas and Ford Pintos were raced.

Without going into the rules structure I have mad respect for a guy who could have made a sale but was more concerned with you getting what you really needed to be SAFE and competitive.

Alan

Without going into the rules structure I have mad respect for a guy who could have made a sale but was more concerned with you getting what you really needed to be SAFE and competitive.

Alan

Me too. I'm a new fan of his.

After that smack in the face I decided to go the more user friendly route to see if I'll be happy in my retirement years in a class that the main tool in your trailer between rounds is a California Car Duster instead of spare bullets under the bench. I found a good deal on a great car, and already pulled the trigger on it. We'll see how it goes, and I'm driving this one. If I have fun and the guys still want to be involved then I'll look for a top sportsman car to replace it in a couple years. I figure T/S will be a lot less intense and a lot less expensive than trying to beat Jay Payne again. :)

Last edited:
Randy, great to hear you’re going racing again. What are the details on your new ride, and any pics?

Your "neighbor, down the hill" says: Let us know if we can help with anything!

It will be great to see you at the track again!

Your "neighbor, down the hill" says: Let us know if we can help with anything!

It will be great to see you at the track again!

I'll need massive amounts of sponsorship money. Massive. :)

I started searching as a diversion to my situation at home. Not to get too personal but my wife is nearing the late stages of a 2 1/2 year cancer fight. She encouraged me to find something to dwell on besides her when the time comes. So I was patiently looking and considering what to do. My TA/FC pals have said there is a chair with my name on it in their pit any time I want to come. But I get a lot of pleasure out of doing it myself. If I came back to TA/FC I would have to make a huge financial commitment once again. So I looked into something I could do locally plenty of times or nationally if I chose to without ruining my retirement. If I don't like it there's always Racingjunk.com. I actually sold one of my twin screw Freightliner toterhomes to Dwayne Shields through RJ and he still has it.

So, I bought this Charlie Stewart super gas Corvette from Joe Fisher. It's being sent to Charlie and he will go through it for me to make sure it's ready to go. It has a 632 cubic inch SR20 headed engine in it which makes 1,330 hp. On a good night bracket racing it it should run 7.60's at 185 miles per hour. As a super gas car it should run 9.90's at 174. The real problem for me is how bad I'm going to get beat up. Those .000 to .009 packages make TA/FC look like a walk in the park.

80-51068628_419_2010_charlie_stewart_63_vettewinnern_633761cafebe413a3bb408da1decc76c9374dbc0.jpg

Wow, what a tough time. Prayers to your wife, and to you as I'm sure it is really almost as bad for you to watch your spouse fight the fight and not be able to take it from her.

Over 2hp per cubic inch is pretty stout for a NA motor. Have fun.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back