Qualifying Concludes, Shane Gray Finding Formula in Phoenix (1 Viewer)

CHANDLER, Ariz. (Feb. 23, 2013) – Shane Gray and his Gray Motorsports Pro Stock team have been steadily pursuing progress at the 29th annual NHRA Arizona Nationals at Firebird International Raceway near Phoenix with a whole new program and have been rewarded with another raceday start and a chance to run for the title at the second event of 24 in NHRA's prestigious Mello Yello Drag Racing Series.

After banking a win light during eliminations last week at the season-opener in Pomona, Gray was encouraged and enthused to return to the driver's seat in Phoenix, and the first round of qualifying did not disappoint as the second-generation drag racer clicked off a respectable 6.579-second pass at 210.11 mph to immediately position himself in the critical top 12 with times that would carry over to the second day of qualifying.

Gray maintained his position as the No. 10 qualifier throughout the first two days of the event with runs amounting to a 6.568, 6.611, and 6.608.

"We can see that we're moving in the right direction," said Gray. "We were real happy with a couple of those runs, and I feel real good about this team and the way that they are so dedicated to growing. We continue to learn every time we get out on the racetrack. We tend to get mighty serious out here, and I think that's important, but we also want to enjoy this.

"If we continue down this path and keep digging, we're going to find that balance. It's a lot more fun driving the car this year for me, and so far, I'm having a great time in Phoenix. Tomorrow's outcome could make it a very special weekend."

Crew chief Justin Elkes poured over the data following each run and consulted with the Gray Motorsports team as they continued to tweak their program in preparation for raceday in Phoenix and, equally as important, solidity for their long term program.

"We really feel like we're making progress," said Justin Elkes. "We can see where we need to improve, and we're identifying exactly what it's going to take to keep this new program on track. With each run down the racetrack during qualifying, we were able to learn something new that will help us down the road."

Gray, though eager to taste success, agrees with Elkes in that every step forward they make now will benefit in the long run.

"We're excited to see the results that we know are coming, and maybe tomorrow good fortune will be on our side," said Gray, who will square off with Erica Enders in the first round of eliminations. "No matter what, I know we're going to go out there and give it all we've got. Hopefully, it will pay off here before too long."

Shane Gray, Gray Motorsports Chevy Camaro
Qualified: No. 10
First-round opponent: Erica Enders

FRIDAY:
Session 1: 6.579-sec., 210.11 mph
Session 2: 6.568, 210.57
SATURDAY:
Session 3: 6.611, 208.65
Session 4: 6.608, 209.17

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread