Pro Stock Testing in Tuscon (1 Viewer)

Johnny Mopar

Nitro Member
Allen Johnson and Richie Stevens tested yesterday in Tuscon. Any one know how they did, or if any other teams were there?

Re: Pro Stock Testing in Tucson

Allen Johnson and Richie Stevens tested yesterday in Tucson. Any one know how they did, or if any other teams were there?

Hey John,

Alan Reinhart lives, works, and breaths in Tucson, so hopefully he can get back to you with an answer to that question. I'm curious too. Would be a good nearby location to TEST and have similar conditions to Firebird other than track prep. Should be close in altitude although Tucson will be approx 1,000 ft higher than Firebird in Chandler.

Hey John,

Alan Reinhart lives, works, and breaths in Tucson, so hopefully he can get back to you with an answer to that question. I'm curious too. Would be a good nearby location to TEST and have similar conditions to Firebird other than track prep. Should be close in altitude although Tucson will be approx 1,000 ft higher than Firebird in Chandler.

Interesting observation Kurt,
It's actually 1500 ft higher than Phoenix and that equates to a bunch of air. I spent the afternoon at Speedworld yesterday, where I had the pleasure of meeting Roland McNew, their marketing director, and there were a couple pro stockers testing while we were there. That made a lot more sense to me than Tucson.

Sorry John,
I don't divulge numbers from a private session on a rented track out of respect for those involved. They'll let them out if they so choose but I won't.
They are putting up public numbers tomorrow for all to see.

Sorry guys,

I was in the shop yesterday AM and went to Phoenix in the afternoon, didn't even know they were here. I will however bust their chops for not calling while they were in town,

Alan

Sorry guys,

I was in the shop yesterday AM and went to Phoenix in the afternoon, didn't even know they were here. I will however bust their chops for not calling while they were in town,

Alan

It's a tough life you have Alan. Tomorrow I'll be shoveling snow again and you'll be announcing dragracing. Hey would you get whoever is doing comp to announce the third digit of the E.t. in case there are any data geeks listening on the Net who have with an excel spreadsheet open-not that I would ever do such a thing.

Sorry John,
I don't divulge numbers from a private session on a rented track out of respect for those involved. They'll let them out if they so choose but I won't.
They are putting up public numbers tomorrow for all to see.

I totally understand Bobby. I was hoping (assuming?) there were several teams testing in Tuscon and that the numbers were more 'public'. I assumed that was the case, as the test session was metioned in the 'Shop Talk' session of Allen's site.

I'm just a desperate Mopar fan looking for a low e.t....

Thanks...

Gary,

I'm back in Tucxon this morning, but here it'e sunny and about 70.

Remember, "We don't race weathermen",

Alan

Interesting observation Kurt,
It's actually 1500 ft higher than Phoenix and that equates to a bunch of air. I spent the afternoon at Speedworld yesterday, where I had the pleasure of meeting Roland McNew, their marketing director, and there were a couple pro stockers testing while we were there. That made a lot more sense to me than Tucson.

Bobby,

I was going by a foggy memory of the elevation differences between Tucson and Phoenix. You're right, 1500 ft is a bunch of difference, and testing at Speedworld in Peoria or thereabouts makes more sense. I guess a few racers figured that out too. Plus, it's kinda on the way into Phoenix if coming from California. Does that 101 loop help in that regard coming from I-10?

I used to attend, but never raced at, the old Tucson Dragway off Houghton Rd. in South East Tucson and that was a fun place. Never been to SIR which I think is off the Houghton Rd exit of I-10 in the opposite direction. I helped out Mike (Wild Man) Hilsabeck back before he got into Fuel Altered's and his CIFCA funny car(s). We were just a couple of crazy bracket racers in our 63/65 Nova's back then. I'm sure you've bumped into Mike many times over the years. He used to post on the 'Mater a couple years ago but never joined up on the New Nitromater.

Hey, enjoy the CSK Nationals, and if I still lived out there I'm sure I'd have trouble staying away even if Firebird is not the best track in the series.

Kurt,
I love Mike Hilsabeck! Our entire family considers him a very close personal friend and he's about as intelligent a person as I ever expect to meet. Yes, the new freeway helps access Speedworld by a bunch for those of us East of the track. It's the 303 freeway that makes the big difference for us.

And Justin,
We didn't run any cars yesterday. We were actually coughing up a bunch of money for the sign we maintain out there.

Kurt,
I love Mike Hilsabeck! Our entire family considers him a very close personal friend and he's about as intelligent a person as I ever expect to meet. Yes, the new freeway helps access Speedworld by a bunch for those of us East of the track. It's the 303 freeway that makes the big difference for us.

And Justin,
We didn't run any cars yesterday. We were actually coughing up a bunch of money for the sign we maintain out there.

Hey Bobby,

Mike H's a good guy. Had lots of fun with him back in the early 80's. I figured you might know him since he lived up in your part of Phoenix. I think he lived in Deer Valley actually, which used to be the end of the Earth way back when. I'm sure he spent, and probably still spends, a good bit of time out at Speedworld. It looks a lot nicer than when I used to tow out there from Tempe. That was a haul. I considered Beeline my home track, but would tow out to Speedworld occasionally. I was out of racing by the time they built Firebird. Those were the heydays (60's 70's & 80's) of drag racing in Phoenix when Beeline was hosting the AHRA Winternationals and lots of other booked in events.

I know the track at SIR had some serious teeth the few times I was there and the folks that ran it were pretty nice. That might make up for the lack of air.

D

Last edited:
Actually it was 3 days of fabulous testing...included were V. Gaines, Larry Morgan, Mike Edwards and Allan Johnson..all were running great and you are correct..i cannot post the times..but anyone else who was there may
PS All 4 of these teams are absolutely class acts..an absolute pleasure to have them back here testing:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back