Pro Stock cars look dumb (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
Logged on today and saw this pic:

untitled.jpg

You can really tell how lame those pro stock cars look when they are painted all white. Similar for the funnycars.

Over the years these cars have evolved into this. They didn't look so far off stock cars back in the 80's (on the outside anyway). So much more fun to watch a stock car run 170 then one of these at 200+, even if it meant gutting the car and inserting completely new stuff inside the original shell.

Have the rules been altered over the years, or have the racers just gotten good at exploiting every loop hole slowly? (didnt KB do that with that olds F/C)

Just my opinion

Jesse James had a good concept on Monster Garage when he said all his monsters must appear stock.

Not only are these PS cars not stock, theyre not even stock looking. If the engine doesn't fit under the hood, then cut a hole in the hood... dont make the engine compartment so big that it looks disproportionally large with respect to the rest of the body. If the current model is styled with sharp, blunt edges (new mustangs, camaro, challeneger) then the race cars should have sharp, blunt edges.

I think they all look like their stock counterparts... I see a lot of similarities in them... I think the new mustang looks a lot like the stock version...

I'm sure the heavy hitters are more worried about the competition aspect of it anyway...

I guess to each there own...

CJ Curtsinger

I agree; they look absurd, particularly with regard to: "If the engine doesn't fit under the hood, then cut a hole in the hood..."

They cut a hole in the hood to accommodate the requisite mega hood scoop, necessitated by the huge, tall, tunnel-ram intake manifold mounting two archaic Holley 4500 Dominator carburetors that are mandated by the rule book.

These cars are called "Pro STOCK." There hasn't been a "stock" car with a carburetor on it built in Detroit (or, anywhere else, for that matter) for over 20 years... maybe 30... What's "stock" about that????

It's insane that these cars are still running basically the same induction system they were running in 1970. Thirty-nine years is a long time...

Do the powers-that-be at NHRA own stock in Holley Carburetor???

A fuel injection system could be configured that would allow them to get rid of these goofy-looking hood scoops, would increase driver safety (they could actually see where they were going,) and might even make the cars a little faster... dunno about that.

But, NHRA's most important product is inertia. Their reluctance to change ANYTHING (except entry fees, membership fees, etc.,) is legendary.

I'd guess it will be a long time before Pro STOCK cars start looking very "STOCK."

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Logged on today and saw this pic:

untitled.jpg

You can really tell how lame those pro stock cars look when they are painted all white. Similar for the funnycars.

Over the years these cars have evolved into this. They didn't look so far off stock cars back in the 80's (on the outside anyway). So much more fun to watch a stock car run 170 then one of these at 200+, even if it meant gutting the car and inserting completely new stuff inside the original shell.

Have the rules been altered over the years, or have the racers just gotten good at exploiting every loop hole slowly? (didnt KB do that with that olds F/C)

Just my opinion

Jesse James had a good concept on Monster Garage when he said all his monsters must appear stock.

Not only are these PS cars not stock, theyre not even stock looking. If the engine doesn't fit under the hood, then cut a hole in the hood... dont make the engine compartment so big that it looks disproportionally large with respect to the rest of the body. If the current model is styled with sharp, blunt edges (new mustangs, camaro, challeneger) then the race cars should have sharp, blunt edges.

Hey Nick,

Can't fault anyone who is connected with Al Hoffman and his tribute site but Pro Stock cars have looked pretty much this way for 10+ years now. You just now getting concerned? I agree the big scoops do look rather absurd, and the body mods do a little too, but it's not like these cars are like the Pro Mods with half the engine or at least the complete blower and scoop completely above the hood line. Now there's a class where the driver can't see too well but Pro Stock is close behind. You are right as far as Funny Cars no longer looking like the real thing since the 80's starting with Kenny Bernstein's infamous (Buick?) Batmobile. Again, that was 20 years ago now too.

L8R

Hey Nick,

agree the big scoops do look rather absurd, and the body mods do a little too, but it's not like these cars are like the Pro Mods with half the engine or at least the complete blower and scoop completely above the hood line.

I think I'm just nostalgic. I just watched some old racing from the early 80's. I'm sure back then the insides were totally different from stock, but the outsides were still shaped stock. As time went on, they got more rounded, less stock looking. I think the last semi-stock looking pro stock car was the olds cutlass.

With that white pontiac, it just looks awful. Look at the mini super swooped back windshield.

I kinda like the pro mods with the huge engines sticking out of the hood. Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I like the big engines because I grew up watching truck and tractor pulls where they had those things loaded up with 5 or 6 engines on them - very bad ass. Come to think of it, there are similarities the USHRA has with the NHRA when it comes to monster trucks not looking like trucks anymore.

But I guess if I wanted to see stock cars run they have hundreds of sportsman cars at every event.

Maybe they should just call them the pro-naturally aspirated-loosely based on stock class

Perhaps I'm just totally bored with the class. Theyre not stock, and theyre not pro mod. Theyre somewhere stuck in the middle. If theyre not gonna look stock, why not go all out.(like pro mod).

i think pro stock cars look killer in all white or all 1 color, they look closer to stockers than nascar cars do.

Does anyone know if anyone is building a new Challenger and/or new Camaro pro stock entrant(s)? Are they legal?

The "Stock" left Gas Floppers with Grumpy's Toy... that one car sent the class in a direction 180 from what was intended. it was a great idea the first two years, the Toy came out and was approved and we were right back to A/FX, which defeated the whole thing.

d'kid

In 1965 when Mopar shoved all the wheels way forward and thought no one would notice anything " Funny" about them NHRA screamed FOUL and the funny car was born. Here we are 44 years later talking again about the Pro stockers looking "Funny", Back to the future!!!!:D:)

In 1965 when Mopar shoved all the wheels way forward and thought no one would notice anything " Funny" about them NHRA screamed FOUL and the funny car was born. Here we are 44 years later talking again about the Pro stockers looking "Funny", Back to the future!!!!:D:)

'Funny' you should say that Paul... I always thought the '65 Dodges and Belvedere's looked 'right with the wheelbase jacked forward... but then, I liked the '69 mini-chargers better than the street car too.

d'kid

I think the pro stock cars look awesome. Just because they have the hood scoop and a few more body lines doesnt mean there isnt alot there that looks like the factory models.

Does anyone know if anyone is building a new Challenger and/or new Camaro pro stock entrant(s)? Are they legal?

These bodies would be to an aerodynamic disadvantage under the current rules. The Cobalt is a narrower and more aero body than the Camaro. Same goes for the Mopars. Think about it

Guess the glass is half empty for some? I like the P/S bodies. They look over-the-top, mean, like a race car. Running a bunch of cars that look like boring, FWD econo-boxes would be a lot less interesting; to me anyway. :/

I agree with the O/P...current Pro Stocks have looked stupid since they all turned into, what was it Warren called 'em "Dumpling Cars"...

the hood scoop I can cope with, but the huge front overhang and the hood line half way up the front window just makes 'em ridiculous (and virtually identical) looking

for many, many years the stock-ish bodied pro's were my favorite (my mom tells me I could identify A/FX cars by the time I was in kindergarten)...but for about the last 8 or 10 year Pro Stock was the time to hit the pits or fast forward the DVR :mad:

The "Stock" left Gas Floppers with Grumpy's Toy... that one car sent the class in a direction 180 from what was intended. it was a great idea the first two years, the Toy came out and was approved and we were right back to A/FX, which defeated the whole thing.

d'kid

Right on. These things ceased being "stock" years ago. To me, they're little more than gas burning alcohol funny cars that happen to have doors that open and are normally aspirated. At least for a while, they used stock style body lines, but all P/S bodies have to be approved by Glendora now, and are extensively modified for "parity."

Here is one of my favorite Pro Stocks of all time, built by Bob Glidden. Although it was a scratchbuilt race car, at least it LOOKED like a T-Bird!!!!
800px-BobGliddenDragster1987.jpg

That gawdawful creation in the OP is a joke.:rolleyes:

I may only be 20 but when has pro stock ever been stock , sure in the old days you could go out and buy the cars that were on the track but the ones racing were far from stock . what factory car has ever had a tunnel ram . This goes especially for when the lenco's came out which when you think about it was only a few years after pro stock started what factory car has ever been had a lenco .

Sure pro stock is meant to represent factory cars but I think its more to represent the best the factory has to offer and its not like you can't buy the blocks and heads of those pro stock engines from the factory so they aren't totally unavailable to the public.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back