Pro Stock cars look dumb (1 Viewer)

I may only be 20 but when has pro stock ever been stock , sure in the old days you could go out and buy the cars that were on the track but the ones racing were far from stock . what factory car has ever had a tunnel ram . This goes especially for when the lenco's came out which when you think about it was only a few years after pro stock started what factory car has ever been had a lenco .

Sure pro stock is meant to represent factory cars but I think its more to represent the best the factory has to offer and its not like you can't buy the blocks and heads of those pro stock engines from the factory so they aren't totally unavailable to the public.

Yes, you are young... first two years of 'Pro Stock" before the bird cage chassis, the engines were what was available, from the factory, in a body type, they were super stocks with a tunnel ram, basically on steroids... no bloody lencos or any of that garbage. SS/A & SS/B & A/MP... the first couple of years it was hemi cudas, challengers, dusters, demons, boss429 mustangs, rat motor camaros, all based on factory body/motor combos if you checked the right options, with the motors in full race modified trim... they were match race super stocks... the MoPars, at least some even ran the cross ram manifold...

And yes, when they stopped using factory trannys and went to the bird cage chassic, it STOPPED being PRO STOCK as the class was conceived.
d'kid

Last edited:
Yes, you are young... first two years of 'Pro Stock" before the bird cage chassis, the engines were what was available, from the factory, in a body type, they were super stocks with a tunnel ram, basically on steroids... no bloody lencos or any of that garbage. SS/A & SS/B & A/MP... the first couple of years it was hemi cudas, challengers, dusters, demons, boss429 mustangs, rat motor camaros, all based on factory body/motor combos if you checked the right options, with the motors in full race modified trim... they were match race super stocks... the MoPars, at least some even ran the cross ram manifold...

And yes, when they stopped using factory trannys and went to the bird cage chassic, it STOPPED being PRO STOCK as the class was conceived.
d'kid

yeah I aware of what they raced in the old days , I try to learn as much as possible about drag racing history . I was just saying that pro stock apart from those first few years has not had anything stock about it .

yeah I aware of what they raced in the old days , I try to learn as much as possible about drag racing history . I was just saying that pro stock apart from those first few years has not had anything stock about it .

And That's When They Stopped Being Pro Stock and became G/FC. All because No One had the Balls to tell Grumpy No, and MoPar would not withdraw their cars, because they were still offering them for sale through their dealerships. The class should have died in '74 with the first downsizing of cars and engines.

But then, I go find something else to do at the track, or around the house, when gas floppers run.

d'kid

The evolution:

sideby.jpg

Looks good. May not be stock, but still looks stock.

oldsside.jpg

Looks good, not as good as the T bird. Still have the body mouldings on the doors and whatnot.

firebirsbs.jpg

This doesn't look right. The front end is bubbled up. It looks like lots of the curves on the factory model didnt make it to the PS.

gxpsbs.jpg

Today - the front end looks slightly off - like the headlights are a different shape - wider & taller. The hood is smooth, not like the factory. The hood is also bubbled again, like the firebird.. but this time it looks way worse. Windshield is tiny. The production car sits up higher, the pro stock continues all the way to the ground, and they did this by making the door taller, not by adding ground effects (as a custom car would) - and the door is too long -this makes the door look gigantic.

What's the purpose of this discussion? Sounds like you want Pro Stock to look like a cross somewhere between Comp's Super Modified, DD/AT and the Hemi Challenge cars. Even that would be to far from stock for some of you. Say for instance, NHRA would mandate a drastic change like some of you are proposing. What would the current Pro Stock perennials do with their now illegal cars and livery. It would have virtually no market value. If you don't like Pro Stock as it appears today just say "They should eliminate this class by the year ____" . A lot more negative comments could be said for today's crop of fuel funnies.

Last edited:
Today - the front end looks slightly off - like the headlights are a different shape - wider & taller.

Don't they still have to run the stock headlight assemblies. I seem to recall when Warren hit the wall last year (it was last year wasn't it? time flies) they took one out of a car at a local dealer. I agree that it doesn't look right. Looks like it has been rotated forwarded.

What's the purpose of this discussion?

Mostly just a discussion. Me personally I'd like to know the attraction of this class. I just get bored with them. If the attraction is that its pro STOCK.. well they arent stock.. and in fact they don't even look stock. If the attraction is power.. well pro modified has more power and doesn't look much different then pro stock.

I like to see people's takes on when the stock left the class too.

They should eliminate this class by the year 2010 and replace it with full time pro mod. ;)

I agree about the funnycar styling too.. but theres an attraction there, they're nitro. They are the quickest and fastest "full body" cars in existance. They're unique, worth watching.

Pro stock (to me) is boring.

i think pro stock cars look killer in all white or all 1 color, they look closer to stockers than nascar cars do.

Me too..!

Except the back-end of this one:

:::Drag Racing Online::: Columns - Agent 1320 - 1/28/2009

:(

Here is one of my favorite Pro Stocks of all time, built by Bob Glidden. Although it was a scratchbuilt race car, at least it LOOKED like a T-Bird!!!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/BobGliddenDragster1987.jpg/800px-BobGliddenDragster1987.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

I still have the model I made of that car back when I was a kid~! :cool:

[quote="Frederick Haag, post: 196757"]Don't they still have to run the stock headlight assemblies...[/QUOTE]

I believe they do.

Pro Stocks are MUCH better looking in person than on TV, there are alot more stock dimensions than most people realize.

EDB

Trying to open up a can of worms with the pic of the TURBO Thunderbird in the first comparison, Nick???:p

They should eliminate this class by the year 2010 and replace it with full time pro mod. ;

Nick, I think a lot of people would like to replace the rolling abortions they call Impala, Mustang and Solara's with any Pro Mod if they would put a load of nitro in them.

Nick, I think a lot of people would like to replace the rolling abortions they call Impala, Mustang and Solara's with any Pro Mod if they would put a load of nitro in them.

Except for the Mustang and the Challenger, I couldn't tell you what any of the rest of the cars sitting on my street are...

and yes, even in black, without paint, I can see the line of the 'stang.

d'kid

I for one would like to see changes in the class. First is make a basic change in bodys and only accept those that were rwd in real life. No conversions and that will equal out the bodies a lot and they have to have stock panels. Templates if they are neccessary.

As for the engines, Give them a choice of the small engines turboed or blower and the curret engines. Natural selection will determine which way it goes. Do not mandate any particular size of motor, just leave it up to the owners.

One last option is that if you keep your induction under a reg hood then you can do away with the Hood scoop. Wonder what that would do for the class????

Wonder what that would do for the class????

Make it less boring.

I've read it time and time again, replace pro stock with pro mod, pro stock bike with nitro bikes. I agree 100%.

Is there anyone given a choice between the two, who would rather watch a pro stock car over a pro mod? In pro mod, you can't really have a gripe over how the cars look, or whats under the hood because it is pro modified. As in T/F and F/C, the bodies are almost cosmetic only.

Save the stock for the sportsman ranks. Ford / Chevy / Dodge / Misc. battles with all Ford / Chevy / Dodge / Misc. parts and panels. Isn't that where it should be anyway?

Along similar lines, is there anyone given a choice between the two who would rather watch a PSB over a nitro bike?

Pro Mods look just like S-L-O-W Alcohol funny cars to most people, I think.

I can't imagine why NHRA thinks they need both.

I believe Pro Stock would be a lot more interesting if they returned the class to REAL production (templated) STEEL bodies, with no more clutchless transmissions, 5-speeds, only, and a choice of turbocharged, supercharged, or nitrous assisted 355 CID small blocks in a variety of configurations (Chevy, Ford, Mopar, etc) vs. Mountain Motor 700 CID Big Blocks that are restricted to gasoline only. Flat hoods only on cars without superchargers; fuel injection of any kind, permitted.

We'd find out two things: Who can build a motor, and, who can drive!!!

What they have now is too cookie-cutter, and too easy to drive. Cut a light, stay in the groove, and shift on time; that's all there is to it. A Cave Man could do it...

Power-shifting an 1,800 hp, 10,000rpm supercharged powerplant in a 2,300 pound car would test anybody's abilities to drive.

I want to see Erica Enders in one of these...

Power-shifting an 1,800 hp, 10,000rpm supercharged powerplant in a 2,300 pound car would test anybody's abilities to drive.

Isn't that pretty much what AA/SM was in comp? Except possible more power and more weight. After Butner's accident they decided that they at least need a spoiler if they are going that fast.

Isn't that pretty much what AA/SM was in comp? Except possible more power and more weight. After Butner's accident they decided that they at least need a spoiler if they are going that fast.

Exactly, that's why they closed the class, opened up one for it in altered where he could take advantage of altered rules.

If there was a point, relative to my suggestions RE changes to Pro Stock, in those two last posts, I missed it.

I am pretty dense, sometimes. Tell me what those comments have to do with new (suggested) Pro Stock rules.... I really don't "get it."

Thanks for any information.

Bill

Last edited:
What they have now is too cookie-cutter, and too easy to drive. Cut a light, stay in the groove, and shift on time; that's all there is to it. A Cave Man could do it...

Ask Frank Hawley about that... I was in his class when someone asked, "what's the hardest class to drive?" He didn't even blink -- pro stock. He said he'd never drive it. The cars are so delicately balanced with absolutely minimal downforce that they are twitchy, the slightest error and you're into the guardrail, on your roof, or both. Ask Kenny Korestky, Jason Line, and any of the other PS drivers who've spent time on the roof.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back