Port of Los Angeles questions (1 Viewer)

Kelly Raquipiso

Nitro Member
Hey everybody. Has anyone ever taken a cruise that departs from The World Cruise Center/ Port of Los Angeles? Roland and I are boarding our ship there, and we have never been to LA/San Pedro. I can't decide if we should fly into to LAX or Long Beach. I think it would be best if we stayed at a hotel near the port the night before we board so we wouldn't have to allow for traffic. It can take 90 minutes to travel 18 miles here in Va Beach. Figure LA would/could be as bad or worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's so nice to post this and not wonder how many replies are going to be bashes.:)

Check with your hotel and make sure they offer shuttle service to the loading dock. It will save you a bunch on taxi service.
Enjoy your cruise!

Kelly R,

We took a cruise out of the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro just last summer, and could have stayed in close by hotels, but hooked up with some other family who did not stay that close. Long story. Anyway, I agree with Bobby, you should stay in a hotel that is in the Long Beach/San Pedro area and probably a number of them have shuttle buses to the Port. It was not heard to get in or out of the port parking and we had a nice California/Baja California cruise. The highlight of our cruise though was a stop at Catalina Island just off the coast of LA and you might have a stop there too. Neat little island community. Have fun.

I haven't cruised out of California, but I have cruised out of Florida a couple times, and I've found it to be most simple if your hotel (you're gonna need one unless you want to stay up all night) offers both an airport shuttle to the hotel, and a shuttle to the port. I'd look first at what hotels close to the port offer both of these shuttle services when deciding which airport to fly into. Embarking lines are no fun if you are cutting it close, and don't forget your passport. Have fun!

Traffic will probably not be that big of an issue from LAX but does depend on time of day. Long Beach is closer lodging and probably easier transportation. You could fly into LAX and stay in Long Beach. Long Beach is nicer than San Pedro. LAX will offer the most lodging options.

Hotels in the Area links

Hi, If you can fly into Long Beach Airport, do it! Its smaller and easier to get around too. Heres a few links to hotels in Long Beach and San Pedro. I would highly suggest staying in major hotels, which are more likely situated in the nicer areas. Hope this helps. Please may I suggest staying in a major hotel for these towns.
I have driven around these areas but never taken a cruise so I am not sure of the area of where the cruise ships leave from. Ports of Call is a cute area with hotels next to it, that would offer a place to eat and stroll around. Have fun!!
http://hotel-guides.us/ this is the homepage of the guide I wanted to post, it has alot of good links, I tried to get specific but the urls were too long!

http://hotel-guide[URL="http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_Cruising.htm"]http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation_Cruising.htm

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone who's posting. We definately are arriving Friday and staying in a hotel that night. We depart at 4pm Sat. We don't want to risk airline bumps. Man, would that rot.
We are definately not going to go exploring in CA, esp. since I can't bring my Sig. Heck, I don't go out around home without it, and I know what areas here to avoid. Will stay in a major hotel for sure (thanks for the reminder and links, Suzanne). We're looking into shuttle services, but taxis are the back-up.

I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions between now and then. Please be patient.

Thanks again, and I am loving the "new" old Mater.

There will be no traffic issues on a Saturday getting to the port. Long Beach is probably you're easiest option. LAX will offer more and finer lodging options and you'll be less than 30 minutes from the boat. Long Beach is even closer. I fly in and out of LAX approx. 10 work related times a month and it's pretty easy to get in and out of. If you do Long Beach, eat at the brewery, decent foods at fair prices with some fine home brewed suds. You'll be safe.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back