Pomona Winternationals question… (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Ok, it’s official I’m going to Pomona for the Winters!!!

I’ve never been to Pomona and I have a few questions about tickets and reserved seating.

1) Would you guys recommend buying tickets in advance or would buying them at the gate be ok? (I plan to be there by Thursday morning)

2) Is there any “general admission” seating or is it like most other tracks where GA seating is becoming a thing of the past?

3) If I do buy tickets in advance, I’ll need to know which side of the track is best for reserved seating?

Thanks,
Brian. :)

Ok, it’s official I’m going to Pomona for the Winters!!!

I’ve never been to Pomona and I have a few questions about tickets and reserved seating.

1) Would you guys recommend buying tickets in advance or would buying them at the gate be ok? (I plan to be there by Thursday morning)

2) Is there any “general admission” seating or is it like most other tracks where GA seating is becoming a thing of the past?

3) If I do buy tickets in advance, I’ll need to know which side of the track is best for reserved seating?

Thanks,
Brian. :)

I guess you'll save a little bit of money buying them in advance, I don't think there is much difference though. And you'll find that most of the time, the line up for tickets isn't that long, maybe that's because I've always arrived early.

There are general admission seats, and that's where I always sit, reserved isn't that much better, then that depends on where you like to sit. Thursday the reserved seating isn't in place so you can sit anywhere! I like sitting over the far side of the pits stands. Really awesome side to watch the racing imo. I would also say that is the best side if you were to buy reserved seating. Whatever you do, don't pay the 300$ (I think thats the price) premium ticket deal... it's a rip off, and they serve you the food when the pro classes are coming out :rolleyes:

Have an awesome time.

Mike

Congratulations on the decision to go! I go to both Pomona races every year. I take the grandkids and other family members so I end up buying multiple tickets and I'm cheap when it comes to letting go of money. My M.O. is to always buy general admission for any days except Saturday and I'm assuming Sunday is nearly the same although we don't do the Sunday racing thing. Those busy days are nearly impossible to find general admission seats-especially for the entire family so we get ones reserved for us. Since it's sometimes cold as evening sets in, we also bring a big hearty blanket and tape it to our seat area for removal and warmth if needed as the sun sets.

I buy my tickets at the gate for the weekend the morning I first enter and only spend 15 minutes or so in line once with the weekend entrance covered. Now comes the big savings. Nearly every event has some title sponsor who will give you discounts on ticket purchases. CarQuest always had $5. off per ticket with their coupons and I send a Southern California CarQuest a self addressed envelope requesting multiple coupons and have never missed yet. AAA members with card in hand also get the discount. Check into whose sponsoring the race and check with them for discount coupons.

Make sure to catch the Mater meetings. It's great to put faces with names.

Last bit of advice, get in your seats early for each pro session. If you are going to watch the Super classes, comp or even Alky classes there usually is no big rush to the bleachers but the pro sessions fill up quickly on the later days. Thursday and Friday not so much.

You're going to have a ball.

Thanks for the input guys!

John, What does the preferred parking consist of and how do I get it? Do I buy it at the track or on NHRA’s site?

This is the first race in several years that I wont have the contestant parking permit so please forgive the stupid question.

I`d say buy the Sat and Sun tickets in advance, but you can get Thu and Fri tickets at the walkup booth with little wait, or if you`re paying attention you can spot scalpers in the parking lot. We used to sit in the opposite pitside stands (you`re closer to the track, but you can`t drink a beer over there), but now we`re usually Sec. 7 pit side about 15 rows up. Definitely pay the $25 for preferred parking on Sat and Sun, it`s a five minute walk to the gate and there are lots of people tailgating before the action starts up, plus it`s not much of a wait to get out at the end of the day. Pomona is a LONG walk if you park in the main lot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!

John, What does the preferred parking consist of and how do I get it? Do I buy it at the track or on NHRA’s site?

This is the first race in several years that I wont have the contestant parking permit so please forgive the stupid question.

Chris has the right answer. I know you can get on the way in and I think you can get it ahead of time.

Brian, your going to have a ball. I started going to Pomona 4 years ago, I should've started 15 years ago. I booked my flight two weeks ago and I'm already counting down the days.

The Extended Stay in San Dimas still had some rooms open. It's just down the road from the track. I think they were $82 per night.

Also while in San Dimas, you might run into the world's greatest driver, Jeff Arend.:D

Last edited:
Registered member said:
Congratulations on the decision to go![/Color]

Thanks Doc!! I cant wait to get there!!

Since it's sometimes cold as evening sets in, we also bring a big hearty blanket and tape it to our seat area for removal and warmth if needed as the sun sets.

How cold does it get at night? I live in Minnesota and usually never wear a jacket until it gets below 20 degrees. 60 degree temps at night is T-shirt and shorts weather for me. :D (actually I never wear shorts even on 100 degree days)

Registered member said:

Make sure to catch the Mater meetings. It's great to put faces with names.

You're going to have a ball.

I'll have my laptop computer with me and internet access at my cousins house in Murrieta CA so I'll be up to date with the latest Mater meeting posts on here. It will be fun to meet you guys from the south west, D7 area of the world.

Oh, I almost forgot….. It’s been 3 years since my last “In-N-Out Burger” is there one near the track?:D

Thanks for the info Doc.:)

El Merendero

Once you have your tickets straight, make sure you get out to El Merendero Restaurant - 1910 Fairplex Dr La Verne, CA 91750 (909) 593-7078. Call them first, then you can go out the gate on Arrow Highway (get your hand stamped first!!!) and walk over for some great local mexican food and maybe a cerveza. El Merendero also has breakfast burritos if you don't want to leave during the day.

However it is a requirement for all Pomona first timers to eat at least one meal at El Merendero during the Winternationals! I think it is now in the 2007 rule book, just can't remember the page number.

The closest In-n-Out Burger is at 2098 Foothill Blvd. La Verne, California 91750 - near Pomona, but not exactly walking distance.
;)

Last edited:
Brian, your going to have a ball. I started going to Pomona 4 years ago, I should've started 15 years ago. I booked my flight two weeks ago and I'm already counting down the days.

The Extended Stay in San Dimas still had some room open. It's just down the road from the track. I think they were $82 per night.

Also while in San Dimas, you might run into the world's greatest driver, Jeff Arend.:D

Thanks Tony!!

Yeah, I'm getting more and more anxious as it gets closer. Believe it or not, I'm driving to CA (not flying. I have plenty of time off from work) from Minnesota. On my way to CA I’m stopping in Las Vegas for a few days and meeting up with my cousin, Todd Tvetene. (he's a new member on here) Todd and his wife will fly to Vegas then ride with me to his sisters house in Murrieta where we'll be staying for the races. I realize it's a bit of a drive from Murrieta to the track in Pomona but it's much better than staying in a hotel.

Sounds like you'll be there too…. I'll see ya there!!!:)

Definitely pay the $25 for preferred parking on Sat and Sun, it`s a five minute walk to the gate and there are lots of people tailgating before the action starts up, plus it`s not much of a wait to get out at the end of the day. Pomona is a LONG walk if you park in the main lot.

Can I buy that at the track ticket office? :)

Once you have your tickets straight, make sure you get out to El Merendero Restaurant - 1910 Fairplex Dr La Verne, CA 91750 (909) 593-7078. Call them first, then you can go out the gate on Arrow Highway (get your hand stamped first!!!) and walk over for some great local mexican food and maybe a cerveza. El Merendero also has breakfast burritos if you don't want to leave during the day.

However it is a requirement for all Pomona first timers to eat at least one meal at El Merendero during the Winternationals! I think it is now in the 2007 rule book, just can't remember the page number.

The closest In-n-Out Burger is at 2098 Foothill Blvd. La Verne, California 91750 - near Pomona, but not exactly walking distance.
;)

Darr,

Thanks for the tip!! I remember reading “Pomona first timer posts” on here in the past and have read about this restaurant. I’m glad you mentioned it again because I couldn’t remember the name of it. I’ll be sure to check it out!!!

Brian.

Pomona is a LONG walk if you park in the main lot.

But there are carts ;)

Hope you had a great Xmas Chris, Best wishes to you and your family for the new year. And at some point next year we'll have to catch up at the track. Pomona for me in Feb is looking a little bad at the moment, but you never know ;)

Mike

Can I buy that at the track ticket office? :)
I don`t think so...you just pay the $25 when you pull into the Fairplex. Parking is ridiculous: $7, $10 for the cheapest, then $25 and I think there`s even like a $35 or $40. Not sure what that gets you, should be a spot next to the Castrol Technology trailer for that amount.

I don`t think so...you just pay the $25 when you pull into the Fairplex. Parking is ridiculous: $7, $10 for the cheapest, then $25 and I think there`s even like a $35 or $40. Not sure what that gets you, should be a spot next to the Castrol Technology trailer for that amount.

Sounds good to me. Closer parking = much better!!:D

For $7 parking don't you need a transfer and a box lunch just to get to the pits?

We have a lot of friends who race at Pomona so we always dump our jackets, etc. in their trailers and never need to return to our cars until day's end. As a result we save a bunch by parking out in the general lot. It doesn't take much time to walk in, even with the grandkids. That's just me though. I'll already have half a grand in tickets to pay for the entire family's entrance (big family who loves drag racing) so it also helps to have the Suburban so far away that nobody's tempted to head out for a tissue, if you know what I mean.

THis will be my 14th straight Winter Natls. Depending on how the $$$'s going I'll park in Pit-side preferred but it's $25 per day!:eek: But even preferred parking can be a good walk, that parking lot is HUGE! Most of the time I sit in Sec. 5 along the Tunnel rail PIt-side so as to get some Great pics of the cars as they head to the pits. At last year's Winter's I got talked into sitting on the spectator side on Friday for one alky session. It was 75-80 degrees to begin with, but over on that side there's no airflow what so ever. It turned into a furnace quick! I told friends Clark and Jayne I couldn't hang and went back to the other side. One thing to look forward to at Pomona is the awesome sunsets that come right over the shutdown area around 5PM!

Brian, you're from MN so you most likely won't need a jacket! I went in 1996, flew out of Detroit where it was -11° F! That was on Thursday. We picked up our rental car and a map at Alamo, and went directly to the track. Temp at Pomona was in the low 60s. The locals were bundled up in fur parkas! We left our coats in the car all weekend. On Friday we had rain, so we went to the Peterson Museum (the Wally Parks museum hadn't been built yet) and did some other sight-seeing. Saturday was rainy in the morning, but the afternoon session was great, and Sunday....

One of those rarest of days...bright, warm, one of the most beautiful days I've ever spent at a dragstrip, and I've been going since the late 1950s. (yeah, I'm old!) Have a ball in Tinseltown!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back