Poll on what you think NHRA should do? (1 Viewer)

What would you do?

• Total voters

Joker

Nitro Member
With all the debate over safety lately and some people wanting to shorten the track, I thought I would start a poll and see what the majority of us think.

And as most of you all know, I am against shortening the track to 1000 ft. When people start dying there are we going to shorten it to 660ft? Then when we have a fatality in the 1/8th mile are we going to shorten it to 330ft? Personally I say if thats the case lets just show up with motors and hook them all on the dyno or race simulated races over the internet and everyone do join in?

And for being easy on parts? I say BS. Crew chiefs will then be tuning different and the fuse will be shorter than now. Your still going to blow crap up. Its called NITROMETHANE and its EXPLOSIVE. Drag racing is dangerous and all who participate know the cost going in.

Last edited:
With all the debate over safety lately and some people wanting to shorten the track, I thought I would start a poll and see what the majority of us think.

And as most of you all know, I am against shortening the track to 1000 ft. When people start dying there are we going to shorten it to 660ft? Then when we have a fatality in the 1/8th mile are we going to shorten it to 330ft? Personally I say if thats the case lets just show up with motors and hook them all on the dyno or race simulated races over the internet and everyone do join in?

And for being easy on parts? I say BS. Crew chiefs will then be tuning different and the fuse will be shorter than now. Your still going to blow crap up. Its called NITROMETHANE and its EXPLOSIVE. Drag racing is dangerous and all who participate know the cost going in.

Well, crap. Let's just totally cancel NHRA and all convert to NASCAR.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Keep it 1/4 mile.

I think it was once said "Give me 1/4 mile drag racing, or give me death" or something along those lines. :D :p

I think we should just have a Mater meeting and bench race since so many seem to have wisdom beyond their experiences?

They can have my quarter-mile when they pry it from my.....no wait...that's my Quarter Pounder they can have...

As for NHRA, they can do what the hell they want, it'd their association, not anyone elses. Just one thing, ever hear of OUTLAWS?

Anything less than 1/4 mile is BORING!! Nothing like a real good top end charge!!

I think we should just have a Mater meeting and bench race since so many seem to have wisdom beyond their experiences?

Well you know were just a bunch of idiots who have no clue Bobby.

Anyways, What I find interesting is that IHRA put out all that crap about how great 1/8th mile racing was at San Antonio and how the fans and racers loved it and yet we have had 82 people vote on this, and there isint 1 vote for 1/8th mile racing.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this, if the NHRA moved the finish line to 1000ft how many of you would actually quit going to the races? I know I wouldnt like it but I would still go b/c I love the sport. I love watching the ADRL 1/8th mile shows but I dont think I would pay to watch a 1/8th mile nitro race however.

Why is it that you don't hear the public outcry when a person is killed rock climbing,hang gliding,driving to work, or other activities that you do when a racer gets killed. As long as there's life they will be death.

Let me ask you this, if the NHRA moved the finish line to 1000ft how many of you would actually quit going to the races? I know I wouldnt like it but I would still go b/c I love the sport. I love watching the ADRL 1/8th mile shows but I dont think I would pay to watch a 1/8th mile nitro race however.

1/4 mile is how it should be. I could live with 1000' if I had too but not 1/8 mile. I have found it boring. The ihra race they did with 1/8 seemed like a waste

Justin your missing the point, "If" NHRA decided to shorten the race track at all. The genie would be out of the Bottle, any incident afterwards (and you know there will be) would be a bigger incentive to shorten it to 1/8 mile!

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how many racers have been killed on 1/8 mile tracks? Was there any push for 330' racing? It seems the goal here is to rid this sport of any Danger what so ever!:confused:

Last edited:
Maybe there should be one more option,
Would you prefer 1000' with no rev-limiters, and 300mph , OR
NO nitro when Goodyear refuses to provide tires because of sidewall overloading at 335mph ?
I agree that most damage is due to down force, but the centrifugal force would be less with 35 mph slower speeds.
I don't doubt people will still be killed,(you can fall off a bicycle and die), but I think the show would be better at 300 mph , and the lawyers couldn't argue lack of action by NHRA & Goodyear. Plus I hate the rev-limiters & the engine damage!
Look at the tire pictures at the finish line :eek:

How many people get killed the last 320 feet?? While we are at it lets shorten high school football fields to 50 yards so all those high school kids wont get paralyzed.

I still dont want 1000 ft drag racing but after talking and discussing this with one owner and several current fuel drivers this week I do understand where they are coming from. Basically the call for this is b/c of the tire and the rev limiter. This is from a current nitro funny car driver:

Justin

If you took a pole of all of us drivers, you would probably find that most of us would favor 1000' racing. Here are a few reasons why:

1) Probably the most important is that it gives you an extra 300' of stopping distance. Especially important at the shorter racetracks.

2) Most tire failures occur in the last 300'

3) Most engine failures occur in the last 300' and this would eliminate the rev limiters major harm to the engine

4) I really don't think the fans could tell much of a difference and would get used to it fast. The majority of tracks have no stands past the 1000' mark.

5) In a fuel car you traverse the last 320' in 7/10th of a second, so from a fans point of view I find it hard that people would stop going to drag races because of it

I would love to see 1000' racing with 90-95% back in the tank and no rev limiters. We are still going over 300mph at the 1000' mark in a funny car.

You guys act as if the tuners won't compensate for a shorter track! How fast are they going at 1000' now 300-310? What does that mean, MORE Mag, MORE Compression, MORE Fuel pump! Limiting fuel pump sizes is one thing, but all this re-inventing the sport so that no one will ever get hurt is getting pretty fricken ridiculous IMO!

Anybody remember Gene Snow's Tire failure at Dallas in '93-94? Or Scott Kalitta's in Sonoma around '96? They weren't anywhere near 330 folks, the idea that slowing the cars to 300's going to eliminate all risks? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You guys act as if the tuners won't compensate for a shorter track! How fast are they going at 1000' now 300-310? What does that mean, MORE Mag, MORE Compression, MORE Fuel pump! Limiting fuel pump sizes is one thing, but all this re-inventing the sport so that no one will ever get hurt is getting pretty fricken ridiculous IMO!

Anybody remember Gene Snow's Tire failure at Dallas in '93-94? Or Scott Kalitta's in Sonoma around '96? They weren't anywhere near 330 folks, the idea that slowing the cars to 300's going to eliminate all risks? :rolleyes:

Like I said Joe, I still dont believe we need 1000 ft drag racing as I believe as you do the tuners will compensate and we will still be blowing stuff up whether we are back to 90-95 percent nitro and no rev limiters etc.

I think there main concern is the tire since most horrific accidents occur past the 1000 ft mark. So basically for safety reasons is why, b/c they are still going to blow stuff up. I would rather watch 1000ft drag racing than none at all. Especially if the likes of Julie Russell sue everytime an ACCIDENT happens then why would Goodyear put themselves at risk for that kinda liability. But I think it has to stop at 1000 ft, 1/8th mile fuel racing isint my cup of tea.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back