Politics Room? (1 Viewer)

Boo

Nitro Member
Hey folks I'm not a real frequent poster in the Lounge area but isn't there still a political room for those type of posts? I'm just curious because I see more political type of posts showing up here in the lounge than I used too!

There is…but
are you referring by chance to the post regarding gas and immigration issues?
That is actually not political…it touches everyone regardless of their political persuasion…or even if they have none.

Well not really although there is a great deal to the immigration issue and how it is handled that is political! There's another post about "Dems relenting on pullout"......Love that title by the way.... Now don't get me wrong I'm not pro Democrat or anything. I'm a "GDI" with a strong conservative lean..LOL....But I would hate to see the lounge get overrun with political postings like the old lounge did before the Political room was setup. I too get passionate about a lot of political issues..... But I thought the lounge was just a BS area and not a place for pushing any particualr agenda!....But then again I could be off base totally....Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last! :D

And that's a fact! It was just a question, I get bored with political discussions so I normally avoid those threads.LOL.....Now a good football discussion and you have my interest! :D.........

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to click and read these threads. All you have to do is hover your cursor over the thread link for a second or two for a quick preview of the first post so if you don't like what you see then don't click. Pretty simple IMO.

Brent I know how it works thanks! Like I said in my post above I normally skip over them, it was just a simple question! I'll go back in my hole and wait for football season!

On the old mater, the lounge was the lounge. Then they put in a politics room that you could see the link to if you were in the lounge. Then on the new mater, there was no politics room and an agreement that there would be no political discussion at all here (LOL, which some of us were more than a little skeptical of). Now there's a politics room here that you can't see unless you request access to it.

Some threads start out political and are never moved. Some non-political threads are turned into political ones. One person made here made the first political statement on a thread (a disrespectful one at that), then days later asked that the thread be moved because it was political!

Here's the one I have a problem with. Sometimes we'll be discussing what are WORLD EVENTS, simply giving our reasons for believing what should be done, and someone will step in with something like "Shouldn't this be in the politics room?"

I don't think something is political until someone USES politics in their reasoning, such as thinking one "side" is simply inherently right or wrong. I happen to believe that you could discuss anything, protecting the border, taxes, abortion, religion, etc, etc, etc, WITHOUT it being political. I also believe I could find a way to politicize practically every thread ever started.

I've seen threads moved to the politics room that weren't political at all. I've seen threads started in the politics room that aren't political that don't get moved to from there to the lounge.

If someone starts a thread that's non-political, and someone else MAKES it political, I think someone should go through and remove those posts, not move the entire thread. They only seem to go to that much trouble if it's in the NHRA section.

Key words that should put the thing straight into the Politics room if used in the initial post:

Liberal (unless talking about fuel or liquor quantities)
Conservative (unless discussing what a tuneup SHOULDN'T be)
Right Wing (unless describing the aerodynamic device on the right side of a car)
Left Wing (Same as above, except the other side..)

I hope this adds some clarity to the issue..:D

I don't think there are many issues we could talk about in which conservatives/Republicans haven't staked out one view with liberals/Democrats having an opposite one. If a Republican told you a certain field was green, there are Democrats who would work to find a way to call it something else for no other reason than to oppose them, and vice-versa.

Many people seem to think that once that's been done, that topic is now and forever a political one and can't be talked about in the lounge, whether you talk about it in a political way or simply express your views with reasoning.

Ok I'll crawl out my hole for another comment! :D Ron you make some good points and I agree I don't think a subject should be condemed as politcal just because some political comments where made before when discussing it. Each thread should have and does have a life of its own. But I'm a moderator at a jrdrag website and there are some subjects you know without a doubt that the thread will head south shorty after its started. But of course the caveot there is the site is geared towards a lot of involvement from kids so the site posting rules are a lot more strict. I also have to agree with what Martin said, you can be having a perfectly good discussion about an issue that concerns many with varying positions being taken but once some comment is made...That it's this groups fault or this other group then the opposing side can't take it anymore and feel compelled to respond. It normally just escaltes from there! As I said earlier it was a just a question I had, which I think has been answered, ..for me anyway.

Someone might as well make one with trucking companies as culprits, as well, because we charge whatever we think we can get away with. I think most businesses do the same.

Supposedly Congress just voted for "gouging" legislation that President Bush has already promised to veto. I just want to know how/at what point anyone can define "gouging" for any particular product or service. Does the gouge point get to rise with inflation? Should a company being forced to pay it's employees certain levels of compensation be protected from "gouging" by unions? LOL, oh yeah, that's "collective bargaining", not "price fixing."

Well not really although there is a great deal to the immigration issue and how it is handled that is political! There's another post about "Dems relenting on pullout"......Love that title by the way.... Now don't get me wrong I'm not pro Democrat or anything. I'm a "GDI" with a strong conservative lean..LOL....But I would hate to see the lounge get overrun with political postings like the old lounge did before the Political room was setup. I too get passionate about a lot of political issues..... But I thought the lounge was just a BS area and not a place for pushing any particualr agenda!....But then again I could be off base totally....Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last! :D

Skip whatever you're not interested in. That's what we do. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back