A question for mods (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
I said when this board was changed that people were going to have to determine what was political (which I believe is defined by nothing more than saying that people of a certain leaning are inherently correct, incorrect, or that they automatically have good or bad intentions) and what was simply world events.

Last week there was a thread about a world event (the situation in Iraq) in which people were simply exchanging thoughts and ideas. ONE person made a politically charged/biased post. Later the SAME person requested that the thread moved to the politics room, as the thread was obviously now political in nature!

I suppose the Hillary thread just now was obviously a goner! :D I just might ask that in the future you mods might want to pay a little more attention to what I'm talking about. If one person turns an otherwise world event discussion into an inflamatory political thread, how about simply deleting THEIR posts and any other direct replies? Otherwise, you're allowing one person to control what is or isn't discussed here.

I've come to realize that most people think debating politics is more about personal attacks or simply coming up with examples of a Democrat or Republican doing something wrong as a way of saying that liberal or conservative ideas are good or bad. Somehow, if I can find more examples of people on your side faultering, I suppose I'm supposed to have won. Because of this, I have little interest in "political" rooms anymore.

Yes, I do think it's a problem if we're discussing the nuts and bolts of any world issue and you can inject politics, and then be the one asking for the thread to be moved because it is now political. I don't think we should all have to pay for that.

Not that a liberal would want the rest of society to pay for what they do or anything. :D Okay, couldn't resist a little humor.

I was not apart of the move and haven't seen the thread but I would think a thread on world events would be placed under politics.

Hey Ron, how could a thread about Hillary C not be political?

Oh, by the way, you want to take 3 compressors out to SoCal for me?

If the thread starts out polictical or turns into a political thread then it will be moved. If you wish to take part in the political forum pm me and I will give you access.

Thanks,
Shannon

I can see it if a thread starts out as political. Like I said, I pretty well knew the Hillary thread was a given, LOL.

I believe a world event is just that. A world event. I believe we can analytically talk about what we think would or wouldn't work pertaining to Iraq, taxes, or just about any other subject without being political at all.

I also believe I could find a way to politicize just about every topic ever posted in the lounge. Should every thread I could do that with be moved to the politics room just because I could? I don't think so.

The person who asked for the Iraq thread to be moved also happened to be the person I had just posted some truths about (In retaliation for their very vulgar "right winger" comment, I'll admit. Like I said, don't start nuthin', there won't be nuthin'). I don't remember them ever asking that a thread be moved from the lounge because it was "political" so I have to wonder if they were genuine in their reason.

I'm just asking that if one person politicizes any otherwise "Lounge" discussion, you consider deleting that post(s) before you go moving the whole thing.

An example. We had several discussions about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermaths here (well, on the "old" mater). I believe that qualified as a "world event." Some people decided to add political comments. Others simply stayed analytical. It doesn't seem right if we're talking about what should have been done, what should be done, and that if one person adds a political comment the whole thread should disappear.

I have to be honest here. Does it really matter if it was moved to the politics instead of the lounge? Seems like a pretty minor difference to get all worried about

You're right. The one thread gone now was not that big of a deal. It's the principle. I just don't want us to be talking analytically about anything else in the future, one person makes a political comment, and the whole thread is gone.

Yeah, that one was ironically special because the person asking the "political" thread to be moved was also the person who MADE it a political thread and, again, I doubt their motives with reason to.

I have to be honest here. Does it really matter if it was moved to the politics instead of the lounge? Seems like a pretty minor difference to get all worried about

Actually, yes it does. I don't subscribe to the politics section of this site and have no intentions of doing so. However, if more and more threads that aren't politically related are ending up there maybe I'll have to. Why should I have to subscribe to that section for discussions on hurricanes or world events that don't involve politics? :confused:

Okay, I've now been granted access to the politics room.

Yes, Greg. I see debating about what to do in Iraq from here forward. When you posted and Rex said something about you resorting to insults when debated in the past, you had to say "I do tend to disrupt the right-wing circle jerk around here some days, don't I?"

Nobody said anything about left wing, right wing, Democrat, Republican, conservative, liberal, etc before that. People were giving their opinions and asking questions about what should be done about Iraq.

I'm not saying that you made a political statement so that you could later use it as a reason to have the thread moved. Again, I've just never seen you being such a good citizen of the mater to want ANY thread moved from the lounge to politics as if it bothered you before.

Let the mods do their jobs, and please, keep me out of your pissin matches with them when they are moderating.

thanks

That's exactly what I want. I want them to do their jobs and to realize when it's likely that they're being played by one member.

I believe you brought them into our pissin match when you were losing. LOL, all of a sudden it was time to have the thread moved because it was "political." It just didn't happen to bother you to BE political two pages before that.

Last edited:
How about we all just kind of move on.

The Politics room was setup so you could all just have it out. Very little Moderation will be performed there. If someone hurts your feelings..or pulls your butthair..back it up with good debate..or consider staying out of the Politics room. The old saying about Religion & Politics..well.

Thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.

Oh and Ron..in my opinion, I don't think Greg is manipulating any of us.

So please..let's get along. We are lucky we can have differences and be respectful..that's what it's all about eh?

You're right. The one thread gone now was not that big of a deal. It's the principle. I just don't want us to be talking analytically about anything else in the future, one person makes a political comment, and the whole thread is gone.

Yeah, that one was ironically special because the person asking the "political" thread to be moved was also the person who MADE it a political thread and, again, I doubt their motives with reason to.

"That person' knows that the Politics room is closed to the public. Access has to be requested. If others in the discussion (before it was moved) don't wish to request access, it sure cuts down on the number of people who may disagree with 'that person'. ;) Get it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back