Three's a charm - my drag racing story... (1 Viewer)

I hope there wont be many spelling mistakes... such as 'Alcahol'

Not that I'd read it anyway!

It's obvious people don't like it. I guess I'm not a writer. :rolleyes:

You gave it an effort, Sam. The story was skewed, all over the place, and didn't have a solid thought. It was like reading a journal of an ADHD.

The fact that you quickly threw in a 3 sentence blurb about Eric disheartened me along with the lesbian scene in a restaurant..:rolleyes: They weren't necessary to the storyline you were writing.

The Eric mention was something I wanted to throw in, I still miss the guy as much as you do. :(

And as far as the girl kissing scene, I felt it was needed for what happened next with the homophobic lady, otherwise she would have nothing to b!tch about.

I hope there wont be many spelling mistakes... such as 'Alcahol'

Not that I'd read it anyway!

Mike, I don't understand those ill feelings towards me, considering I'm never said anything bad about you.

But I will say this, I've wasted about a month writing the first 3 1/3 chapters of a story I figured people would like. There would have been a love story, 2 fictional Top Fuel drivers you would have found yourself rooting for, and more. Not going to happen now...

But like Cheryl alluded to, I'm not a writer. I'm just a lowly computer tech support drone with a bit too much free time on his hands. :( :eek:

Mike, I don't understand those ill feelings towards me, considering I'm never said anything bad about you.

But I will say this, I've wasted about a month writing the first 3 1/3 chapters of a story I figured people would like. There would have been a love story, 2 fictional Top Fuel drivers you would have found yourself rooting for, and more. Not going to happen now...

But like Cheryl alluded to, I'm not a writer. I'm just a lowly computer tech support drone with a bit too much free time on his hands. :( :eek:

Sam, you missed the point! No where did I say you weren't a writer. I just said your thoughts were skewed.
It needs work and with a thought out plan you could write your short story. You can't just sit down and write, like you did and have it make any sense.
You start with ideas...a layout, how things will tie into each other, etc.

You seem to be the whipping boy in The Lounge lately, but sometimes, you throw fuel on that fire! Don't quit ;) so easily and don't bite the hand that feeds you...:rolleyes:

Sam,
if i may make a suggestion.
take your obvious technical talent and apply it more than you are.
you say you have too much time on your hands.......
this time should be spent doing for others what only you can do
(aka fixing computers, troubleshooting, etc.) and getting paid for it.
job first, girlfriend/s will follow. trust me.
you might even consider self-employment - i think you'd be good at it.

You may want to invest in a few technical, creative, and practical writing classes Samual. I didn't get a chance to read it just a glance before they called my row to board at the airport. Judging from the comments and your past writings, it might be helpful. It's seems obvious that you enjoy writing out your thoughts, but it also seems you need to learn some structure.

Of course, you probably will disregard what I say as you always seem to take whatever I say as an attack anyway.

You may want to invest in a few technical, creative, and practical writing classes Samual. I didn't get a chance to read it just a glance before they called my row to board at the airport. Judging from the comments and your past writings, it might be helpful. It's seems obvious that you enjoy writing out your thoughts, but it also seems you need to learn some structure.

Of course, you probably will disregard what I say as you always seem to take whatever I say as an attack anyway.

Actually, hell is going to freeze over and I am going to say I actually agree with you. I'm going to start looking for a, what do they call those, maybe an editor ?? Or go for a creative writing course that hopefully won't be to pricey.

I'm going to complete the story. But I won't be posting it here, I'll present it to someone who can look it over. Hopefully he/she will be understand the difference between Comp and Super Comp other then the "super"! :D

Actually, hell is going to freeze over and I am going to say I actually agree with you. I'm going to start looking for a, what do they call those, maybe an editor ?? Or go for a creative writing course that hopefully won't be to pricey.

I'm going to complete the story. But I won't be posting it here, I'll present it to someone who can look it over. Hopefully he/she will be understand the difference between Comp and Super Comp other then the "super"! :D

I took writing classes at a community/junior college for $150 plus books for 16 weeks of classes twice a week. You'll probably have access to tutors there at the JC, who are paid by the school as part of work study most of the time.

Sam,
if i may make a suggestion.
take your obvious technical talent and apply it more than you are.
you say you have too much time on your hands.......
this time should be spent doing for others what only you can do
(aka fixing computers, troubleshooting, etc.) and getting paid for it.
job first, girlfriend/s will follow. trust me.
you might even consider self-employment - i think you'd be good at it.

I actually had a freelance hobby fixing computers when I used to live in NY. Then when I moved to FL I lost all my customer base.

The biggest problem with doing work on a freelance basis is that the retail-based computer repair companies (Geek Squad, Firedog, Easytech, etc...) pretty much have a stranglehold on the market down here, so it would be tough to convince a client how much better I would be than going into a store and having one of their techs with their cute little cars come out to their house.

It looked on placing a classified add in the Sun Sentinel (Broward County's newspaper) and it's almost $170 for a month! And I have NO web design skills, so a website is out. Maybe someone here can recommend a webdesigner?

However, there is one advantage that I have over the big retail companies. I can tell you this because I work for one (won't say which) answering phones in a call center. Life was blissful, we were getting things done until they introduced an "approved software" list. What is this? Many software tools used for the removal of malware or to fix other issues are freeware. However, it says in their user agreements "no commercial or for-profit use." Big companies like the ones I mentioned definitely don't fit into either of those categories. Afraid of getting sued by vendors who might not like us using their software, the company I work for introduced an "approved software" list, of various things which WERE approved by vendors for us to use. Here's the problem: only 5 softwares out of that list are actually effective. That's because the best tools I've encountered refuse to let companies use them. Which means if you have a new, tough-to-remove virus, they'll just run scan after scan until finally they play dumb and say "we know of no other tool that can get rid of this, we need to format."

As a freelancer, things are different because I doubt vendors would go after one measly little person traveling to a customer's house in a ten year old car. They'd rather target a corporation of 1,000+ people using their software without their permission. I can pretty much use anything I want while those other guys are crippled.

Sam...
Send it to [email protected]
yes, I've done editing on Adult Stories for friends... and I understand drag racing... send it word pad in .rtf... we'll see from there....

d'kid

Sam,
If you like writing, keep writing. Just because we goofed on you is no reason to stop. I have no creative writing ability at all. I don't even have the balls to try, much less have the balls to post it publicly. Keep trying!

Sam,

I absolutely do not agree with your politics.............

That said

When I decided to start my buisness many people tried their best to discourage me.

I was told by many to stay at my job, play it safe, "you're not the buisness type"............"what if you fail?".......etc, etc.

I took baby steps and tried and tried to do my best.

That was 23 years ago

Ups and downs and lonnnnnnnnng days and nights too. And even today I often burn the midnight oil.

Financially I started with around $350. dollars.......not K........three hundred and fifty and 00 cents.

I have done just fine in my life, I'm happy with a terrific wife and own my home outright.

I did it, you can too.

REX

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back