Our Top Fuel points leader, 22 years ago..... (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
You 'gotta love this vintage pit shot! With Dougie getting his hands dirty on his uncle's car - wearing his skin-tight Jordache's and those thick Sally Jesse Rapheal glasses!!! While Scotty and the legendary Big Brad work the Funny Car! Let's go, team Kalitta! this is YOUR TIME!!!!!!
raceteam

That's a great shot. Man, the cage on the FC sure is low. Seems like they are all much higher nowadays. Is it because the drivers prefer to be in more of a "sit-up" position?

Wow, not much has changed in the pits, except for the advent of pavement at some tracks? :p

Oh, I don't know Steve. I see quite a bit of change. First, you'll almost never see a team working without their awning completely deployed these days. Also missing are a vast array of tool boxes in the back along the trailer, ventillation fans, that plastic flooring they all use now. Lights, the collapsible workbenches along the front. The specialized jigs and fixtures to work on the blowers, uber-specialized tool caddys (With compressed air feeds!) An array of scooters parked around the place. Food was probably whatever the team go-fer could find when he was sent out on that task. I remember when I first saw Larry Minor's Mac and Don's food service tent at Brainerd one year, and thinking "Well, this is taking it to the next level!" Also, this looks like kinder, simpler times when they didn't always tear the engine down. Oftentimes, they just ran a compression check, and if that was good, they didn't bother taking the heads off. Team uniforms tend to be a bit more sophisticated than the good ole jeans and t-shirt.

And those shorts............... :eek:

Neat photo Chris. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I don't know Steve. I see quite a bit of change. First, you'll almost never see a team working without their awning completely deployed these days. Also missing are a vast array of tool boxes in the back along the trailer, ventillation fans, that plastic flooring they all use now. Lights, the collapsible workbenches along the front. The specialized jigs and fixtures to work on the blowers, uber-specialized tool caddys (With compressed air feeds!) An array of scooters parked around the place. Food was probably whatever the team go-fer could find when he was sent out on that task. I remember when I first saw Larry Minor's Mac and Don's food service tent at Brainerd one year, and thinking "Well, this is taking it to the next level!" Also, this looks like kinder, simpler times when they didn't always tear the engine down. Oftentimes, they just ran a compression check, and if that was good, they didn't bother taking the heads off. Team uniforms tend to be a bit more sophisticated than the good ole jeans and t-shirt.

And those shorts............... :eek:

Neat photo Chris. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing!

Don't forget the new wind tunnel tested hairdo's that the crew guy's now adorn some of them look like a cow licked their head. ;)
I do miss the old days cool photo thanks for sharing!

I thought you'd all like this. I particularly like the wooden tool tray on the dragster and the kitchen cupboards mounted inside the trailer. My how times have changed. They ran both cars out of 1 hauler for a long, long time, which unfortunatley doesn't leave much room for spare parts, chassis' or bodys. So pretty much once these got broken or burnt, you had to go knocking on doors through the pits looking for loaner parts. Great memories!

Man, that's a great pic.... I am going to have to dig through some of my older ones like that.

One thing........ I'm gonna go with 18-19 years ago, definatly not 22.

Love those "old" photos. Heres a pic of Prudhomme I took at Spring Nats `81.
I think they set up more equipment these days for a simple appearance display.
dp2.jpg

Last edited:
It was Columbus, '84 I believe. And I have to say, someone gave me the pic. (a former 'Mater who hasn't re-registered yet!)

It was Columbus, '84 I believe. And I have to say, someone gave me the pic. (a former 'Mater who hasn't re-registered yet!)

Hey Chris,

That picture was posted on the old Mater (I have it saved on my computer) Was that you or the other Mater member who posted it the first time?? However, The first time it was posted it had been resized smaller.

Thanks for the full size version.

Great Picture!!! :)

That's Big Brad on the left! He's the reason you see ropes on the Purdomme's picture and none in the Kalitta shot! People knew thier boundries! I'm sure he was a big part of the old days' Kalitta pit brawl stories........

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back