One Tough Dragster - This Boxing Day! (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Heading into the third round of the 2008/09 ANDRA Top Alcohol Championship on December 26 and 27 at his home track Western Sydney Dragway (WSID); Wayne Newby wants one thing and that is to get into victory lane.

So far in the 2008/09 season Newby, aboard his Blackwoods / JBS Tools supported Dragster, has went without a round victory and with him currently third in the Australian Championship point standings he would love nothing more than to progress up the ladder by posting a victory on home soil.

“I certainly don’t want to remain in third place in the Australian Championship standings by the end of the weekend. That’s for sure. The only way I want to go is up,” stated a confident Newby. “If all goes to plan then I hope to move up the Australian Championship standings and I could possibly even take the lead. But it’s certainly not going to be easy. This season is without a doubt one of the toughest seasons on record and that is not going to get any easier as the season progresses. Everyone has lifted their game with more development with their cars for the varied track conditions and that keeps you on your toes. It’s great for the category as a whole.”

With the WSID track being Newby’s home turf that has certainly given him extra motivation to get into the winner’s circle for the first time in the 2008/09 season. Newby and the team are also itching to get back into the swing of things having not competed since late September.

“It’s been a mixed start to the season with the opening round being washed out and then we went up to Willowbank Raceway in Queensland a few weeks later and just missed out on making the final,” he explained. “In Drag Racing the more track time you get the better you will be both as a driver and a team. We have had nearly a three month break and that certainly gives you itchy feet. I know where we need to improve on and that is getting more consistent speed out of the car. If we can achieve that then there is no reason why we cannot end the weekend in the winner’s circle.”

The aim for Newby and his team are clear and that is to hit winning form this weekend at WSID and it is no doubt going to give them a confidence boost heading into the busy schedule in the New Year throughout the months of January and February.

Current Australian Top Alcohol Championship Point Standings (after two rounds):
1 Brett Stevens – 140 points
2 Steven Reed - 120
3 Wayne Newby - 100
4 Gary Phillips - 80
5 Debbie Reed - 80

Attachments

• 1525.jpg
    1525.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 888
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread