Ok Here's the deal! (1 Viewer)

Interesting and humorous posts, to say the least.

A few points, if I may.

1. I checked out the nitroland.us site and wasn’t at all surprised by what’s up there. Remember, it wasn’t all that long ago that Nitromater was much like that, with anonymous, vitriolic posts coming from people afraid or unwilling to use their own names.

People who post like that are generally on the fringes of our sport, and have little actual knowledge of what goes on, so Joe, take my advice and ignore them.

2. Having been a photojournalist for over 40 years I can say that I have learned a few things about this kind of thing. Among them is that fact that anyone appearing in the fore- or background of a news photo can be used without their permission.

So, if your shot of the car accident includes the woman holding hands with the guy who isn’t her husband, she can’t sue you because she’s the one who placed herself in a position to be included in the photo. Same thing with a photo taken at a drag race.

I am certainly not a lawyer, but to avoid any problems, if Joe simply posted his photos without a label of any kind, and since he includes both men and women in his photos, my guess is that would put him in the clear.

On the other hand, if you’re shooting, say, a car feature, and ask a woman to appear in the photos, you definitely need a model release before you can use it.

I recently contributed to a hard cover book about children and included several shots of kids watching the parade, or chowing down on, or actually working at the pancake breakfast at the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo, and I didn’t need releases to include them.

3. Years ago, before most of you were born (!), when women first began appearing in public without brassieres and often in see-through tops, I don’t think there was a single American male who objected (okay, there must have been some, but I sure never met any!). Anyway, it was pretty enlightening to watch the reactions of the girls watching the reactions of the men ogling them. I witnessed (and had it happen to me more than once) girls “going off” because some guy was staring at them. From their perspective they were merely exercising their right to dress as they chose, and men were pigs for ogling them. My response was a consistent, “If you weren’t dressed like that, I wouldn’t be staring.” They had no comeback for that because it was true.

Others have said the same thing here. Women’s magazines will say women dress for other women, but the reality is that they usually dress for men. And guys, like it or not you aren’t wearing that muscle shirt for your buddies, you’re doing it in the hopes that some woman will mistake your bulging muscles for, well, something else that’s probably smaller!

The vast majority of men and women we see at the races are dressing to attract someone’s attention, and because Joe and others are taking their pictures, they’re actually achieving their unstated goal of being noticed.

Jon Asher

I nominate Kelly as "Mater Mate" of the year, it's the racers version of Playmate of the year
Joe get the camera going, we need a lot of pictures, plus the center fold.

I think it would be a wonderful thing.

Interesting and humorous posts, to say the least.

A few points, if I may.

1. I checked out the nitroland.us site and wasn’t at all surprised by what’s up there. Remember, it wasn’t all that long ago that Nitromater was much like that, with anonymous, vitriolic posts coming from people afraid or unwilling to use their own names.

People who post like that are generally on the fringes of our sport, and have little actual knowledge of what goes on, so Joe, take my advice and ignore them.

2. Having been a photojournalist for over 40 years I can say that I have learned a few things about this kind of thing. Among them is that fact that anyone appearing in the fore- or background of a news photo can be used without their permission.

So, if your shot of the car accident includes the woman holding hands with the guy who isn’t her husband, she can’t sue you because she’s the one who placed herself in a position to be included in the photo. Same thing with a photo taken at a drag race.

I am certainly not a lawyer, but to avoid any problems, if Joe simply posted his photos without a label of any kind, and since he includes both men and women in his photos, my guess is that would put him in the clear.

On the other hand, if you’re shooting, say, a car feature, and ask a woman to appear in the photos, you definitely need a model release before you can use it.

I recently contributed to a hard cover book about children and included several shots of kids watching the parade, or chowing down on, or actually working at the pancake breakfast at the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo, and I didn’t need releases to include them.

3. Years ago, before most of you were born (!), when women first began appearing in public without brassieres and often in see-through tops, I don’t think there was a single American male who objected (okay, there must have been some, but I sure never met any!). Anyway, it was pretty enlightening to watch the reactions of the girls watching the reactions of the men ogling them. I witnessed (and had it happen to me more than once) girls “going off” because some guy was staring at them. From their perspective they were merely exercising their right to dress as they chose, and men were pigs for ogling them. My response was a consistent, “If you weren’t dressed like that, I wouldn’t be staring.” They had no comeback for that because it was true.

Others have said the same thing here. Women’s magazines will say women dress for other women, but the reality is that they usually dress for men. And guys, like it or not you aren’t wearing that muscle shirt for your buddies, you’re doing it in the hopes that some woman will mistake your bulging muscles for, well, something else that’s probably smaller!

The vast majority of men and women we see at the races are dressing to attract someone’s attention, and because Joe and others are taking their pictures, they’re actually achieving their unstated goal of being noticed.

Jon Asher

Jon thanks for your support, but you better be careful or they will target you!:confused:

so I go over there and tell them what I think and what did they do they deleted my post. If thats not chicken S**t. So I went back in and told them that. Probably delete that too.

They can't target you if you don't look at their site!

Even if they're not shooting blanks, you can't hit a target that declines to become one, and the only way to become one is to respond to what they post.

I had that experience here on two different occasions before real names were required, and didn't post again until they were. I got flamed for pointing out a couple of stories that I knew from my professional work to be inaccurate, and never made that mistake again.

Here, if someone objects to a post or something of that nature the odds are that you can have a reasonably intelligent exchange about it because the vast majority of posters seem to have a real grasp of most facets of drag racing.

Other sites, where anything goes, generates those kind of responses -- anything goes -- so why bother being there?

Jon Asher

well those were kind words about the 'maters mr asher.

As for the other site, never been there see no reason to go there now.
If you're training a dog, you reward good behavior and ignore bad.

So I 'll treat them like the dogs they are. :D

Boobage

Doesn't bother me one bit! And another thing.....you are well known for it. Everyone knows they will be in your pics. If they don't want to look at them they don't have to click your link. Plain and simple. :)
To bad somebody can't salvage the Word Of The Week thread. Do you recall the word that pulled in the most posts? :D

Last edited:
Just wanted to say hello to the old guy, John Asher.:D
Nothingtosay.gif

Hey Joe, it's not your fault that everytime you try to take a photo at the track a hot chick jumps in your way!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back