Noise Barriers (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
A few months ago I brought up the need here for NHRA to take the lead on developing noise barriers and was basicly booed off the stage. Once again I see the need for some progress in this area as Fontana is having noise issues. Lets make it happen before it's too late. Advertising space on such barriers could help offset the cost.

I've been to my fair share of City council meetings and I guarantee where there is a citizen uprising against something like the noise from a drag strip, despite the "Who came first" argument, the money-making enterprise will take a back seat to the citizens 99 out of 100 times.

I agree Rich, where this is already considered a problem they should be looking for a possible solution or face the inevitable.

20 ft. Billboards do wonders for Dirt-tracks Noise-wise. For Blown cars on a Dragstrip I couldn't tell you if that would work or not.

Years ago Englishtown faced the noise issue head-on. One of the first things that took place was an agreement among real estate agents that before they would complete any sale the prospective buyers had to visit the property to hear how loud the track was for themselves. That helped stop the practice of buyers reneging on sales after moving in and hearing that noise.

The track then built massive sound walls, something along the lines of $600,000, and this was easily more than a decade ago and possibly even two. Regardless, such walls would probably cost a couple of million now.

Regardless of the cost of those walls, homeowners took the track back to court with noise complaints, but the judge threw out their suit, reportedly stating that the track had done enough to curtail the problem.

The "Who-was-here-first" argument/rule used to be effective, but no longer.

Pomona is an example of a community working together with a track to keep everyone satisfied. I may be slightly off on this and admit it now, so don't flame me later, but I think the arrangement calls for something like no more than 11 days of racing per year. That's four for each of the national events plus a few more for other races/rain dates.

As I said, I could be off on the actual number of race dates permitted.

Fontana will probably have to enter into the same type of arrangement, but as to other facilities, each case is completely different.

The deciding factor will be, of course, how hard the suit is pressed and/or how willing or able the track is to provide sound walls.

Jon Asher

No booing from me sir. Noise is a real problem for drag racing. The rumor mill has even started about the new track in Fontana having neighbors that complain about noise. Fontana might become a Street Legal track only if the rumors I've heard are founded on anything! It IS a problem!

Pomona is an example of a community working together with a track to keep everyone satisfied. I may be slightly off on this and admit it now, so don't flame me later, but I think the arrangement calls for something like no more than 11 days of racing per year.

Thank God for that...I couldn`t imagine Pomona Raceway ever going away.

No booing from me sir. Noise is a real problem for drag racing. The rumor mill has even started about the new track in Fontana having neighbors that complain about noise. Fontana might become a Street Legal track only if the rumors I've heard are founded on anything! It IS a problem!

How can the Dragstrip be a problem and the Speedway isn't?

I've got a better question, how do you move to an industrialized area that's being gentrified because of the speedway and complain about the noise? I think men with cattle prods should be the answer for the stupid.

D

Darryl, here's the straight scoop from Mike Yurich at California Speedway FONTANA STRIP NOT CLOSING!

And John, there is NO "suit" pending. The Speedway has retained Santa Ana-based Gordon Bricken & Associates to work on acoustics and noise control for the facility, that is their specialty.

I live about 4-5 straight line miles from a local oval track, with a few mountains in between us and I can easily hear them from my backyard on a Saturday night.

The shame is that there's an old dragstrip pretty close to it that I'd love to buy and resurrect someday (formerly Tennessee Valley Dragway), but I'm sure you can't bring em back after they're gone. You'd think that you could use the fact that the one track is already there making music...ahem...."noise"....as a supporting reason, but we all know that stuff only goes one way. In favor of the people who move in next to race tracks and airports, then complain about the "noise."

Well, I think the sport needs to be more pro-active on environmental issues. Because if we're not our sport is not going to be around in ten years. I'm no greenie (far from it) but I can see which direction the winds or change are coming.

I had an idea of finding a way to preserve the straw in hay bails and encasing the the bales with a fire resistant material. Those bales are so thick they would soak in the sound. Just a thought.

I also think we need go to unleaded fuel like NASCAR is doing and maybe going to methanol all together for sportsman racing. I can hear it now BOOOO BOOOO!

Someday drag racers and fans may have to try buying up the properties around tracks to protect them. I've floated that idea before. Many ethnic groups have long done the same thing. Makes you wonder if that could be an evolution someday? People with common interests moving into the same areas. LOL, wouldn't it be strange to live on a street where everyone did what you do for a living?

Someday drag racers and fans may have to try buying up the properties around tracks to protect them. I've floated that idea before. Many ethnic groups have long done the same thing. Makes you wonder if that could be an evolution someday? People with common interests moving into the same areas. LOL, wouldn't it be strange to live on a street where everyone did what you do for a living?

that would be cool , everyone would be working on there cars in the driveways and everyone would be walking between eachothers houses helping eachother and bench racing.

LOL, and wouldn't THOSE wives have some things to talk about?

I've said before that drag racers and fans should do that. Why not? Bruce Williams ( Bruce Williams Official Website ) was talking on his show one night about how he once lived in a Greek neighborhood. He said they told him over and over that if he ever got ready to sell, not to list it, to let them know and that they'd get a buyer/one of their relatives at whatever price he wanted. He said that's exactly what happened, too.

Yeah, if it were fair, I would be able to open a dragstrip somewhere, then complain about MY neighbors! :D

Another benefit would be reduced towing costs. I bet that could almost equal or exceed a house payment for some of you. You could pay above market for the home, then let the savings in this one area make up the difference over time.

Last edited:
Well 2 years ago I was out looking for a new / old home to buy. The first thing I told the R/E agent was NO! HOA's, then we searched for a home that had a space for a Race car trailer aka in Realtors terms a RV parking place (I told her a BIG size RV parking. Well on the second day I fell in love in this home, the front yard was desert landscape, what little there was. The back yard was a lush setting with a 20 x 20 green grass yard and a koi pond and a 6 foot water falls Jacuzzi etc. So after moving in I take a walk into the back yard and low and behold a fellow racer, yea he was a roundy rounder but no less a racer. Several weeks after moving at 10:00 pm he fires up the heap and tunes the carb and not to much noise but sweet to fall asleep to. Several months pass and drive around the neighborhood there is a lot of various racers in the same area. I love my home and my neighbors. Across the street a guy has a 68 Chevelle and its also a old time drag racer. Gotta love fellow racers.

Chuck K
PAE

I'll bet you get a better quality of neighbor on average, too. Goal oriented traits that bleed over into other parts of their lives. I notice I seem to personally like other participants at races for those very reasons much more the rest of population, on average.

I could definitely see a day when drag racers start moving into neighborhoods for toeholds surrounding tracks, then there's a space on a website somewhere specifically to let others know when homes in the same areas are available.

Of course, then you have to ask yourself. "Would I really want to live nextdoor to me?" :D

Last edited:
Is the Bruce Williams your talking about the same one that gave financial advice? Haven't heard Bruce in years.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back