No more fun or cool videos from teams? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Seems NHRA is clamping down unless you give them some money. :rolleyes:

NHRA Northeast Division news: NHRA Video Policy

A review of team websites and various websites including You Tube requires NHRA to remind teams of the current policy regarding taking and using video from NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series national and divisional events. The NHRA Rulebook, section 1.9 and 1.10, pages 25-26, cover this and related subjects. To sum it up, shooting video at the track other than for competition/analytical purposes is strictly prohibited.

We understand that teams would like to utilize new technologies to promote teams, drivers, sponsors and the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series. Therefore, if you wish to shoot video for any use besides competition/analytical purposes, please abide by the following policy:

1) If you want to produce and distribute videos, apply for an access and licensing agreement with NHRA. Visit NHRA.com - NHRA Video Services for the online application process. The agreement will define what and where teams can shoot, where and when the footage can be posted, and any additional requirements regarding posted footage.

2) No video may be shot or posted of the track and of racing action. The track is defined as anything from the water box through and including the top end.

3) No video shot onsite at a national event may be distributed by any means until after the first air of the day’s racing activity on ESPN2/ESPN2HD. Some exceptions will be considered if the video is strictly human-interest and not competition results related.

We are asking any team currently conducting such activities to immediately begin the access and licensing process. To that end, log on to NHRA.com - NHRA Video Services and submit what you are currently doing and what you are planning to do, no later than 30 days prior to the event.

In the coming months, NHRA will be redesigning the NHRA You Tube Channel to include team sections, as well as opportunities to link current team sites to the NHRA Channel to increase visibility and views for all teams and NHRA.

We recognize that distribution of video from NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series national and divisional events through multiple outlets is a valuable source of promoting teams, drivers, sponsors and the sport. However, we are confident the teams will understand and abide by the current and new policy moving forward given the rights of NHRA and those rights that have been extended to ESPN.

Yeah, maybe I understand NHRA's point. Legal issues, etc., yadda, yadda. But really, this is the most pressing issue the Division One team has right now?

And doesn't the history of record labels provide any guide here? They clamped down for years, only to watch market shares fall while file sharing skyrocketed. Then some companies realized that having people be able to hear new bands, share these experiences, and see interesting things online only helped to grow the industry. Now the most successful ones are those that embrace this stuff.

Isn't it to NHRA's advantage to have people promoting the product? Wouldn't just a couple of these videos going viral make up 1000-fold for any nickel-and-dime license fee?

Just another thing that makes you wonder if the management team at NHRA isn't perhaps 30-years too old. Or at least their thinking is...

This is nothing new. I have video from a Cordova Divisional that I am not allowed to post. And also the exact reason I dont care to shoot the Divisional anymore.

Also this will be absolutely impossible to enforce with new phones that take as good of video as a camcorder.

...Isn't it to NHRA's advantage to have people promoting the product?...

Agreed. We have a very visionary club owner/rock ‘n’ roll promoter here* locally. He has the best lighting and sound system, books the highest-quality local talent, and… lets photographers in free. Show up with a DSLR around your neck and you don’t pay cover. Everyone then posts (often really high-quality) photos of his shows on Facebook, etc. The promoter reaps the benefit of far better publicity than money could ever buy.

*’Louie G’s’ in Fife. Chris, you ought’a check it out sometime. Bring the kids; it’s all-ages.

Yeah, maybe I understand NHRA's point. Legal issues, etc., yadda, yadda. But really, this is the most pressing issue the Division One team has right now?

And doesn't the history of record labels provide any guide here? They clamped down for years, only to watch market shares fall while file sharing skyrocketed. Then some companies realized that having people be able to hear new bands, share these experiences, and see interesting things online only helped to grow the industry. Now the most successful ones are those that embrace this stuff.

Isn't it to NHRA's advantage to have people promoting the product? Wouldn't just a couple of these videos going viral make up 1000-fold for any nickel-and-dime license fee?

Just another thing that makes you wonder if the management team at NHRA isn't perhaps 30-years too old. Or at least their thinking is...
Really Chris ... this is an NHRA posting not a D1 posting. It happens to appear on all 7 division sites including yours in D6. NHRA mandates which postings are to be posted at the divisional level. Took me 2 seconds to figure this out by looking. Seriously, as a D6 racer, you don't have more pressing things to focus on than taking a swing at another division .... geez????

Really Chris ... this is an NHRA posting not a D1 posting. It happens to appear on all 7 division sites including yours in D6. NHRA mandates which postings are to be posted at the divisional level. Took me 2 seconds to figure this out by looking. Seriously, as a D6 racer, you don't have more pressing things to focus on than taking a swing at another division .... geez????

Fine. "Is this the most pressing thing NHRA has to worry about right now"? That's what I originally wrote and worried that Reinhart would be all over me. Now you are.

Sheesh...

What a progressive organization NHRA is. The Lucas series gets slim spectator attendance. Crushing those who want to post videos is just ass backwards. Making it even harder for racers to get sponsorship help, a brilliant move.

Nationals.. i kind of understand... Divisionals.. i dont get ... videos taken and posted by fans or even crew members seem to fall in to FREE PROMOTION of the events to me.... they actualy MIGHT make people WANT to go to one.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back