A request for Mr. Jannard (1 Viewer)

__

Nitro Member
Jim, I have a favor to ask of you. Every NHRA commercial for an upcoming race ends with the video of Gary Scelzi's big ka-boom. NHRA used it to replace the video of Ron Capps' big ka-boom that they played for years. Speaking just for myself, I hate seeing these horrific explosions. Moreover, I can't imagine Ron's or Gary's family enjoy seeing them over and over again. Is there any way you could convince the NHRA to find some better footage of the 4-time champ to use? Thanks for listening.

I know it's not what you really want to hear, but to have that kind of footage on a commercial to draw attention to National Events makes marketing sense. I know some people go to events just to see explosions and crashes. Sometimes the risk and anxiety associated with the sport draws people in to events.

It is a little disturbing at times to see that but the NASCAR crowd loves the crashes, for the most part. Real race fans don't like to see the crashes and explosions. I Used to like seeing them until I started working around the cars and had to see all the extra work it created for the already busy crewmen. Would be cool to see some footage of a record setting run and the timing lights showing the speed and time.

I know it's not what you really want to hear, but to have that kind of footage on a commercial to draw attention to National Events makes marketing sense. I know some people go to events just to see explosions and crashes. Sometimes the risk and anxiety associated with the sport draws people in to events.

That's cool, Paul. I respect everybody's opinion. The ads for the upcoming NASCAR races at Pocono and Watkins Glen don't feature big crashes. If they found a way to promote their sport without that stuff, I was only suggesting that the NHRA consider doing something different. I guess that makes me a wuss in Tony's book. :confused:

Last edited:
I don't mind big kabooms when nobody gets hurt..

It actually shows the massive power involved.

I don't mind big kabooms when nobody gets hurt..

It actually shows the massive power involved.

That's true too. Just hate cozying up to the morbid side. Know what I mean? Just amazing the speed these cars reach. I sit at grocery stores everyday with my Brut showcar and rarely do I talk with anyone who knows how fast these cars go or the horsepower. It would amaze you what people know or don't know....

I hear what you're saying Charles, but whether or not you like seeing explosions or crashes... most people would say that they're fascinating.

As long no one is seriously injured in those situations, then I don't mind. I never want that to happen to anyone, but the times that I've seen major explosions or crashes live, it's been like... WOW!! And you usually remember it.

I hear what you're saying Charles, but whether or not you like seeing explosions or crashes... most people would say that they're fascinating.

As long no one is seriously injured in those situations, then I don't mind. I never want that to happen to anyone, but the times that I've seen major explosions or crashes live, it's been like... WOW!! And you usually remember it.
I guess. In Ron's case, I remember him re-counting the explosion. When the body got blown back into his lap, it pressed against his legs and obstructed his vision. He was on the radio yelling to Todd Okuhara that he thought his legs were gone. I can't imagine that level of stress, let alone reliving it with every commercial. Must be even harder for his family.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Jim J. could do much about that anyway?:eek:

Probably true, Vincent. I just thought that the NHRA might at least listen to Jim even if they didn't change anything. I know they sure won't listen to a lowly fan like myself. :( Either way, I don't want to become a "Franklin" so I'll let it go. :eek:

I can't imagine that level of stress, let alone reliving it with every commercial. Must be even harder for his family.
I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I think back to a rollover accident I had as a passenger in a pick-up truck when I was 17 or 18. I've often recounted the incident to others --- I look back on it and remember how everything happened in slow motion it seemed and it was like someone put the volume on mute as we tumbled, but it's never bothered me nor my family one bit, especially since no one was badly hurt.

I'd never wish that for anyone, let alone myself again, but as time goes by it's just another of a thousand various moments I've had so far ---one that's remembered a little more vividly.

Granted, I don't have any video of it... kinda wish I did though. :p

But in all seriousness, I understand what you're saying man... I'm just giving you my perspective.:)

Maybe one day they won't show it.

Either way, I don't want to become a "Franklin" so I'll let it go. :eek:

You becoming like Franklin (DaVinci) ?:p That'll never happen dude..., you're sensible.;)

Besides you have to try, maybe something will come about because of it... you'll never know unless you try.

Difficult question. I don't know the answer.

Is it just plain exciting if no one gets hurt? It is part of drag racing. It is difficult to get anyone's attention on tv without any drama. None of it is staged. It happens and it gets shot... then gets shown. And nothing is ever shown when someone gets hurt.

One mis-conception. The NHRA doesn't really care what I think. I could probably convince them to take Gary's explosion off air... but they would likely just substitute someone else's.

This is a colorful and dangerous sport. We all know what can go wrong. All the drivers prepare for this sort of thing because they all know it will happen at some point. With very few exceptions, the drivers walk away from these typically unhurt because of all the safety measures in place. But there are exceptions.

Difficult question. One mis-conception. The NHRA doesn't really care what I think. I could probably convince them to take Gary's explosion off air... but they would likely just substitute someone else's.
I guess that's what I was trying to say Jim... if they remove Scelzi's explosion, it'd be replaced with another.

Thanks for the response.

Here's my take:
They show an advertisement to get additional viewers, right? A non-drag race fan, seeing two cars at any speed go side by side on a perfectly clean-safe run is like watching paint drying. They, like all media need to show the sensational! The spectacular! This footage, like Capps' boomer catch the attention of anyone even walking in front of the screen. That's why they showed Herbert being shoved while approaching Clay's boys and Force speaking directly with Beard?

It's nothing new. Remember the best sports show on TV three decades ago?
The Wide World of Sports?
Their trailer always showed the "Agony of Defeat!" and we never turned away while the ski jumper wiped out all over the tower missing the jump.
Now that seems morbid to me but I remember being reminded that the skier wasn't seriously hurt and thus the spectacular footage was fully exposed, often!
Is this different? I'd say not.

Aw come on Charles... get real!

Charles ... Scelzi survived... he's OK.... EVERYONE on this board, INCLUDING I'm betting Mr Jannard, LOVES TO SEE A NICE EXPLOSION... heck, he's got the MAD SCIETIST on the hood of the friggin car!!!! What do you think mad scientists do???? They make s--- that Blows the f--- up!!!!

No, we DON'T want to see anyone EVER get hurt... but GET REAL... crashes are part of racing... in fact they are one of the MOST EXCITING parts of racing.... like the "big one" at Daytona.... or Scelzi blowing the car in half... it's waht people WANT TO SEE, me included.

I won't be rude and question your "lifestyle"... be GIVE US A BREAK!!!

Nor only was Scelzi's POP nice, but it wasn't even as good as they can get... drag racing (like my painting of Y-2KaBoom!) is the only motorsport where they can BLOW THE MOTOR COMPLETELY OUT OF THE FRAME RAILS... YES!!!!
Now we're talkin!!!! Right Jim????? - Blood

There is a reason I'm almost glad we don't have the races LIVE on TV anymore. TNT did a great job, but KB hitting the wall head on during TNT's first live telecast of the finals from the Winters, I think it was... wife and kids watching with me... "daddy, he okay?" How do you answer that to an eight year old? especially when you're afraid for the man's life yourself.

Nope, I can do without 'crash and burn' promos, it's not what racing is all about... :(

Welcome aboard Blood... great to have a man of your artistic talent here.

Yeah, I was at the top end bleachers at The County when Dunn did that in Roland's car... Saw alot of other things too... Bob Pickett flying his Yellow Javelin, Larry's Clutch coming out of the car (didn't see that, was in the Hot Car pits and pieces were landing CLOSE by...) I can go on, but the real question is, is a crash and burn really the way to promote drag racing?

Jim, thank you for the response. You and Naz are right about the NHRA just replacing Gary's explosion with somebody else's.

Doc, good points all.

EVERYONE on this board, INCLUDING I'm betting Mr Jannard, LOVES TO SEE A NICE EXPLOSION...

First off, welcome to the 'mater, 'Blood. Always liked your work.

Second, I can honestly say your statement above is wrong when it comes to me. I hate crashes and explosions. Why watch motorsports then? Easy - to see someone control the uncontrollable. Forget wrecks. Give me a driver than can make an incredible save instead. For example:
- on dirt, give me Brett "The Jet" Hearn entering turn one at OCF sideways in fourth and coming out with the lead.
- for NASCAR, give me Earnhardt flying through the grass at Charlotte and never lifting. Give me Tim Richmond dive-bombing the turns at the Glen. Give me Steve Park in an asphalt modified slicing though traffic at Stafford.
- in the NHRA, give me Tommy Johnson running nearly a tenth slower than his opponent and winning at Reading in '02. Give me Dick LaHaie tuning Larry to mid-4.50s on hot race tracks when everybody else is smoking the tires. Give me Melanie Troxel running a 4.5 at Reading last year, have the chutes not come out and have her bring the car to stop so smoothly that nobody - the track announcers, the ESPN crew, or the fans in the stands - even notice that the 'chutes never came out.

Anybody can stick a car in the fence. Anybody can blow up a nitro motor. Very few people can keep control of their car, go fast and win. That's special. That's why I like racing. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back