No Densham?!? (1 Viewer)

Pete

Nitro Member
I know this is old news by now, but I was sad to not see Gary Densham out this weekend. Pomona without Gary just isn't the same :-(

I wonder if it was cuz of LOM? Lack Of Money.... His son has licensed in big show F/C, so kinda wondering if Jr can get some $$$, maybe he will drive Dad's car, & Dad will be the tuner. That would be cool. I have watched Gary since he ran A/Gas Supercharged, & that was probably late 1960's. Then he went to F/C with the Teachers' Pet series. He had a Pinto and a Datsun 240Z among others.

no clue. he did tow to the midwest this summer. was nice to see him again. barely missed the show @ bir. i remember years ago at bir watching his team turn his orange 'teacher's pet' FC
around after the semis, eventually losing to force in final. some of the pit spots back then were not so paved. plywood and/or ground tarps were all the rave for some of the smaller teams.
sure was routing for a win. didn't get it. he made to bir final a few years later again too, again losing to force i think.........hope the denshams can find funding to continue.

Densham was in Seattle this year. Always glad to see him. But there was a "For Sale" sign on his rig and that really concerned us. Lets hope he just has new equipment coming !

I told him in Las Vegas that he can’t be selling his stuff. He said that he is selling it so he can stay out and continue to run. So maybe he has a smaller trailer or can borrow one or rent one for the few events he runs.

No conspiracy here, he has a volunteer crew, a few of them couldn't make Pomona, so he asked them early in the year what race they would rather do and the vote was Brainerd. He told me in August that he wouldn't be running Pomona for the first time in 20+ years.

I asked in Vegas if he had changed his mind and he told me "No, my guys voted and we did Brainerd instead"

Alan

No conspiracy here, he has a volunteer crew, a few of them couldn't make Pomona, so he asked them early in the year what race they would rather do and the vote was Brainerd. He told me in August that he wouldn't be running Pomona for the first time in 20+ years.

I asked in Vegas if he had changed his mind and he told me "No, my guys voted and we did Brainerd instead"

Alan

Absolutely correct. A pal of mine, Charlie Abdouch, owns Midwest Factory Finishes and helps Gary with funding.

he made to bir final a few years later again too, again losing to force i think.........hope the denshams can find funding to continue.

He made to the finals in Brainerd in back to back years. 95 & 96, or was it 94 & 95...? can't remember which years (Paul would know), but he lost to Force in the final both times.

Gary is one of my true heroes for more than just racing. He's a good man as well. I was lucky enough to meet him years ago at Sears Point and he acted as though I was the one doing him a favor by talking to him. Every time I'm at a race he's at it's the same thing, he really loves racing and being around fans. His relationships are important to him and I admire that trait in people.

A few years ago when I was working with Bob Bode at Indy Gary came by the pit and asked me if I could drive his hauler back to California instead of flying because he needed to fly home to take care of some business. So after the race was finished on Mon I drove Bodes hauler back to his shop in Chicago and then jumped on a plane back to Indy on Tues morning where Gary picked me up at the airport. After we had lunch I jumped into his truck and headed west. Gary and Joanne are very nice people and it was really cool that they used a shop out back of their house to work on the race cars. Gary is definitely one of the original Legends.

He made to the finals in Brainerd in back to back years. 95 & 96, or was it 94 & 95...? can't remember which years (Paul would know), but he lost to Force in the final both times.
it was '94 and '95....and i was wrong. neither was with his orange 'teacher's pet'. both the white/blue olds cutlass body......snake over scott kalitta in '94......dunn over TJ in '95

That's great news. Gary has always been one of my favorite old time racers.

Mike, I remember watching that turn around myself! Among other things, I seem to remember he was having issues with the clutch can. I also remember members from other independents helping him with the turn-around.

Who knows? We very well might have been standing next to each other.

Alan

Then we will look forward to seeing him race there! Go Gary go!

I was just sayin he can race any race and I will hope to see him do well. I didn't remember he didn't qualify last year. I have only ever seen Brainerd on the tube.

He crashed at Pomona into the sand in 2016, so if I were him I wouldn't look forward to the Winters

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back