Nice article on Top Fuel driver Ron Smith (1 Viewer)

Al

Nitro Member
I love seeing independent racers like Ron Smith. The first time I saw him run was the 1977 NHRA Fallnationals. The first time I took my son to the drags (when he was 4 years old) was the 1987 AHRA World Finals in Spokane. Ron Smith won that event handily. Since then, he has been at every one of Seattle's National Events. I don't believe he has ever won a round there but he always tries his best. A few years ago, I gave him 2 DVD's of coverage of that Spokane event that he won, and he was thrilled. I also remember the first year he had his present car, he was matched with Tony Schumacher in the first round (he lost). Late in the day, we saw him in the pits sweeping off his pit mat. I told him good job and he replied with a huge smile, "I ran my career best, didn't hurt any parts and I left on the Sarge" (he did indeed leave first). How can you not love a guy like that ?
Unfortunately, there are less and less racers like Smith, and as a result there are more and more short fields. But it's great to see people like Kim Parker helping him out. Maybe some day, a Rahn Tobler or the like, will donate some free time to give him a 3 second tune-up.

I was just happy to see Smith not dump oil on the track last weekend. Been known to happen with him. It's good to see him show up every year, tho.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back