I watched Bruton Smith on Wind Tunnel... (1 Viewer)

Rich

Nitro Member
...and David Despain asked him about the four lane dragstip he's building in Charlotte. Smith said that he hoped to convince the NHRA to allow the non-nitro classes to run four at a time. He apparently believes that this will make the racing "more exciting". I'm sorry, but if this represents "thinking outside the box" then in my opinion the NHRA would do well to say "thanks, but no thanks."

Despain also asked Smith if he was still interested in purchasing the NHRA. Smith replied by saying that he was focusing his attention on his race track business and purchasing the NHRA wasn't something that really interested in doing. After hearing his four lane racing proposal, I am relieved that Smith has put his interest in purchasing the NHRA on the "back burner", as he put it.

The one question I wish Despain would have asked is with regard to the rumors that Smith may build a track in the northeast. That's one region of the country that could use a NHRA Powerade series race and there's nobody that builds a first class facility like Bruton Smith.

The one question I wish Despain would have asked is with regard to the rumors that Smith may build a track in the northeast. That's one region of the country that could use a NHRA Powerade series race and there's nobody that builds a first class facility like Bruton Smith.

ENGLISHTOWN doesn't count ?????:confused:

Of course Englishtown counts. :D But given the population of the northeast there should probably be a race somewhere to the north of Englishtown.

New England might be the better term to use. I live in Connecticut, and Englishtown is about three hours away. When you walk through the parking lot at the nationals, there are many cars that are from well north of us.

...and David Despain asked him about the four lane dragstip he's building in Charlotte. Smith said that he hoped to convince the NHRA to allow the non-nitro classes to run four at a time. He apparently believes that this will make the racing "more exciting". I'm sorry, but if this represents "thinking outside the box" then in my opinion the NHRA would do well to say "thanks, but no thanks."

More fun if the extra guard-rails were removed.... Sorry..., just had a Flash-Back to a long time ago when such things were normal ...and WERE-Very-Exciting...!!! There still my be a few older guys around who remember..., Not Safe...,BUT EXCITING...!!!:eek::eek: D:D:D

rite now he owns/will own facilities that hold 5 nat. events - soon to be 6 if
the st. louis deal pans out.
that's roughly 25% of the NHRA season.
that's a lot of bargaining power.

I really like Bruton and LOVE the way he handled the whole Concord thing. But, he sure changed my mind about hoping he would one day take over nhra. I also now doubt whether I'll even try to attend the Carolina Nationals. Racing 4 cars at once is NOT Drag racing. MJ

If it turned out that the door cars got more runs because they were running more of them at one time, would that not be better? Right now they get so few runs at a National Event, it hardly makes it worthwhile to drive all the way to get there. Or am I mistaken?......

I believe the races would be staggered. As soon as one pair crosses the stripe the other would be ready to go. It would be used in order to save time. They wouldn't be running side by side at exactly the same time.

I believe the races would be staggered. As soon as one pair crosses the stripe the other would be ready to go. It would be used in order to save time. They wouldn't be running side by side at exactly the same time.

That's not what Smith said yesterday on the program. He made it clear that he does indeed want to run four cars at a time rather than two.

Last edited:

Two things come to mind...

1) Imagine how fast the data will be hitting the iCard :eek:

2) Old-timers will remember an exchange between Steve Evans and Don Prudhomme in the narration of the original Decade of Thrills where Don says something to the effect of 'but Steve, no matter how great a drag race is, it only lasts 5 seconds'.

IMHO...Bruton's idea of adding more excitement may actually keep spectators from digesting what they've just seen happen in one pair as the next pair is sent down the track. Sometimes non-stop action is worse than a break or two to catch your breath.

That's not what Smith said yesterday on the program. He made it clear that he does indeed want to run four cars at a time rather than two.

Really? That would blow. I thought I had read earlier somewhere that it would be two separate side-by-side strips. I think the action moves along just fine as it is now.

4 cars at once???? Stupid. Guess Bruton's not thinking about concession money lost with a quicker show. And the fact that some of us actually like sportsman racing. Not to mention the PA announcer's nightmare. Remember, the guys got some age on him.

4 cars at once???? Stupid. Guess Bruton's not thinking about concession money lost with a quicker show. And the fact that some of us actually like sportsman racing. Not to mention the PA announcer's nightmare. Remember, the guys got some age on him.

Which one.... Alan, Bob, or Leo?

d'kid

Got a feeling some of you missed the great Bruton sense of humor! Chill! He AIN'T gonna run any cars 4 wide!

Well.. i love Windtunnel.... but turned it as soon as he (Smith) came on.....Came back just in time to See Tims interview......

4 car drag racing?

Why don't we just have 2 NASCAR races on the same track at the same time? Half of them turning left, the other half turning right!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back