NHRA Tech Dept. (1 Viewer)

The racers should get a statement, IN WRITING, that their car has passed tech at each each race they attend. If a question comes up that their car is not within the rules they can show them the "statement of compliance" that the tech people signed their name to. This Tasca incident looks like the problem is with the tech dept and NOT any racers. Maybe the tech dept. needs a complete overhaul.

And who made the "complaint"? Who can spot a 1/4" overall width deviation on the headers? Inquiring minds want to know.

The racers should get a statement, IN WRITING, that their car has passed tech at each each race they attend. If a question comes up that their car is not within the rules they can show them the "statement of compliance" that the tech people signed their name to. This Tasca incident looks like the problem is with the tech dept and NOT any racers. Maybe the tech dept. needs a complete overhaul.

And who made the "complaint"? Who can spot a 1/4" overall width deviation on the headers? Inquiring minds want to know.
Taska stated his team took all sets of headers to tech prior to race and all was OK per tech. The concern was the angle of the headers and that was checked. The run was thrown out due to the width of the car was out of specs. (to wide) The headers are the outmost point. I don't know that tech could have seen that without them being on the car. Todd's and Diel's runs were DQ'd same reason. The headers can and will sag down a little over time (making them wider)and wear and it's just another thing to watch for. If they give any team a free pass on this then what do you think the other teams that went through the check would have to say? The mistake on NHRA's part was not making the call until later. Whoever the final decision is up to should have been available at the time the infraction was noted and made the call.

Taska stated his team took all sets of headers to tech prior to race and all was OK per tech. The concern was the angle of the headers and that was checked. The run was thrown out due to the width of the car was out of specs. (to wide) The headers are the outmost point. I don't know that tech could have seen that without them being on the car. Todd's and Diel's runs were DQ'd same reason. The headers can and will sag down a little over time (making them wider)and wear and it's just another thing to watch for. If they give any team a free pass on this then what do you think the other teams that went through the check would have to say? The mistake on NHRA's part was not making the call until later. Whoever the final decision is up to should have been available at the time the infraction was noted and made the call.
Interesting. Seeing how you are/were a racer and in the industry, I totally trust and believe you. I say that only because to just a smuck fan like myself, I didn't read that it was the total width of the car from end of left header pipe to the end of the right header pipe.

I thought he meant from say the left exhaust pipe to the right-hand side pipe of the same header was too wide or from the exhaust tip to the mount/bolt point to the motor.

I either read the article to fast and totally missed it, but I had no idea the actual car itself was literally in the middle of this and a part of the measurement and equation. I thought this was related to just the actual headers themselves. I mean he did take just the headers removed from the car.

Thanks for the info, ya learn something new every day.

Why would that help. parts get changed and pulled after every round? Questionable headers etc could be changed after passing tech. Its every racers job to make sure he is in compliance, its that racer run that would get tossed and its NHRA's job to check. I dont think any of us know what discussions we're being had by NHRA as far as timing goes regarding DQ'ing the runs. Based on this weekend maybe more checks need to be done in the Pro classes.

Wouldn't a warning letter about the ballast have been sufficient. It would have been more than sufficient on the header issue also. Disabling the Leahy system is a troubling intentional act worthy of event disqualification.

Unfortunately the safety safari does not have the staff and time to tech all the entries prior to an event. In most cases the pro cars do not go through tech. A new car is probably teched at some point. They are spot checked from time to time to keep the racers honest. It’s possible that a team has a questionable part for multiple events. I do think that NHRA has checked a lot more during the countdown than they did during the regular season.

Wouldn't a warning letter about the ballast have been sufficient. It would have been more than sufficient on the header issue also. Disabling the Leahy system is a troubling intentional act worthy of event disqualification.
I totally agree. Tony Stewart had an entire race pulled out from under him ruining his chances of a Championship, even though NHRA admitted that they could not see a performance advantage. Elite lost points this weekend, Tasca had little points taken away and given to Hight, all for non performance infractions? Just fine them and be done with it, but they're manipulating the points battles with this crap.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back