NHRA stop and think (1 Viewer)

Which brings us back to... WWF/WWE....
Book a Show, Pay your Stars... and Crown a New World Champion everytime you have a Major Event...

This PC stuff is for the Birds... Not Everyone is Equal...
We don't have two leauges like stick and ball... we don't need play offs...
We're not the NCAA...

They want it to mean something... if ya ain't in the top 8 after 17, you can't race the last six... if out of the top 4 you can't race V-2 or P-2...

And it will give them LIVE TV at Pomona... Hell the whole race will last Two Hours

That is a True Play Off...

So when are they going to raise payouts since they are bringing in more money? :rolleyes: The payout for a fuel champ is a slap in the face. :mad:

They raised the payout by $100k to the champ this year (it is a start). I know it is still chump change compared to the budget needed to be competitive.

professional racing of all kinds = Show business. Nothing less.NHRA has to do something to make it more of a show.last I looked NHRA is paying to get their show aired on TV and NASCAR is getting payed for their product/show. We shouldn't be scared to follow in NASCAR's steps.After all they have a HUGE product that makes Drag Racing look insignificant.Second only to the NFL(which is also show business) Just My opinions. I like the chase as a fan. If your the champ your the champ..Everybody works within the same points system.

If the top fuel championship is not as close as last years then can I expect you to be leading the charge of those of us who bitch and cry??? After all isn't a closer championship race why we are being forced this welfare system?

actually, if the new points system, along with possible other rules changes
nhra may be thinking about implementing, does not increase within 3 years......

1) tv ratings (maybe nhra could some day be on receiving end of $$)
2) sponsor retention / new sponsors
3) fan attendance at nat. events
4) professional racer participation

i will bitch and cry.
there has to be a goal and an established timeline to achieve it.
you can't deviate from the norm without a plan.
whatever they're trying to achieve; i hope it works.

Hey PJ, to have an avatar like you have on a racing message board, I have to assume you are a true, die-hard Wolverines fan. So I can't help but ask, were you as upset as you appear to be now when your beloved Wolverines won their National Championships, whether it was football or basketball, yet didn't have the best overall performance for the entire year?????

C'mon! I'm not saying I'm completely for it just yet, either. But this is what makes things like March Madness what it is. The chance that a Cinderella story could emerge to take out the odds-on favorites for that story-book finish.

Let's let it shake out.

Sean D

Hey I like the points system if it means Dean can get a car together and still win the championship this year. :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah the chase is a joke I know. :mad:

Hey PJ, to have an avatar like you have on a racing message board, I have to assume you are a true, die-hard Wolverines fan. So I can't help but ask, were you as upset as you appear to be now when your beloved Wolverines won their National Championships, whether it was football or basketball, yet didn't have the best overall performance for the entire year?????

C'mon! I'm not saying I'm completely for it just yet, either. But this is what makes things like March Madness what it is. The chance that a Cinderella story could emerge to take out the odds-on favorites for that story-book finish.

Let's let it shake out.

Sean D

No in 1997 when Michigan and Nebraska shared the title I thought that was junk, let them play and find out who is the best.

NCAA march madness, the best team does not always win the tourney, when Michigan won in 89 they did so as a 6 seed, nc state and 'nova have won the championship as major upsets, the difference there is that you have roughly 230 division 1 basketball teams. You simply can't play every team during a regular season in order to find out who the best is. You have to have a playoff there.

professional racing of all kinds = Show business. Nothing less.NHRA has to do something to make it more of a show.last I looked NHRA is paying to get their show aired on TV and NASCAR is getting payed for their product/show. We shouldn't be scared to follow in NASCAR's steps.After all they have a HUGE product that makes Drag Racing look insignificant.Second only to the NFL(which is also show business) Just My opinions. I like the chase as a fan. If your the champ your the champ..Everybody works within the same points system.

Nascar has actually lost market share since they switched to the chase, that is why they made more changes to it for this season. Also last season's chase would have also been closer if not for thier "playoff" system

No in 1997 when Michigan and Nebraska shared the title I thought that was junk, let them play and find out who is the best.

NCAA march madness, the best team does not always win the tourney, when Michigan won in 89 they did so as a 6 seed, nc state and 'nova have won the championship as major upsets, the difference there is that you have roughly 230 division 1 basketball teams. You simply can't play every team during a regular season in order to find out who the best is. You have to have a playoff there.
Morning, PJ! Are you pickin' on my Huskers again?

Morning, PJ! Are you pickin' on my Huskers again?

No no, just because they gave coach osborne and retirement gift by giving him a championship doesn't mean I'm bitter:D

I guess I have always viewed a championship as something that should be hard to earn. If they hand it out to everyone and make it easier then it takes away the meaning of what a championship is. I know I still savor my track(running) wins because I know I busted my arse for them if I was given a 10m head start or the other people were forced to carry 10lbs then it would mean nothing to me.

No no, just because they gave coach osborne and retirement gift by giving him a championship doesn't mean I'm bitter:D

I guess I have always viewed a championship as something that should be hard to earn. If they hand it out to everyone and make it easier then it takes away the meaning of what a championship is. I know I still savor my track(running) wins because I know I busted my arse for them if I was given a 10m head start or the other people were forced to carry 10lbs then it would mean nothing to me.

By the way, I totally agree with you about the Osborne "parting gift", and as a former track man myself, I know what you are talking about...beating my arch rival sprinter when he had a sore ankle brought no joy, but when I put him away when he was healthy in the State semifinals, THAT meant a lot!

Maybe after they go to 8, and only those 8 show up, and everybody else stays home, and spectators hear about it, and quit showing up,....maybe then they'll go back to how it should be....Year Long points.

Your point is well taken, I was just trying to illustrate the example of winning the whole deal from the 6th seed still doesn't take away from the celebration of your team ultimately being the last team standing, because I'm sure you did (celebrate), and rightfully so. I respect your position on the football deal because I agree that those should be played out.

Sean D

Maybe after they go to 8, and only those 8 show up, and everybody else stays home, and spectators hear about it, and quit showing up,....maybe then they'll go back to how it should be....Year Long points.

I would love to see that happen but I doubt that it will, not unless there is a better and more lucrative offer that same weekend.

I have a big idea just wish I had the money or knew someone with the money that could do it.

I'm guessing a certain 14 time champ from Yorba Linda likes the opportunities presented him with the new system this year?

We can argue, whine, and otherwise agree to disagree all we want, but until professional drag racing is unified under one banner we have a fundamental disability when trying to compete with an entity such as NASCAR.

NHRA can change point programs, money, press packages, and market the sport until the cows come home, but they will fall ultimately empty until we include IHRA in the mix.

We have an identity crisis and it has been growing since "Wildlife Racing" ran out of steam decades ago...

What put drag racing into the American home were the Hot Wheels toy sets of the late 1960s and early 1970s. We do not currently have that type of offering and have not truly had it since that time.

It is the outside world that needs to welcome professional, and amateur drag racing.

I see nothing from NHRA to promote safe driving insurance discount programs to NHRA members. I see no effort to correct the flaws in insurance coverage where many companies will cancel in insurance policy of the car is used at the track (and they find out about it). I see no effort (except for the Ashley Force barbie) that has taken any roots at all with our children, that benefits the overall sport of drag racing.

We do enhance our sport... We have much better tv coverage than we did years back... We have better and more professional people at all levels... We have graduated from tobacco to more media friendly sponsors...

But... We have communities that don't like the noise... We have environmentalists working to legislate out of existance performance cars... We have far less visibility than NASCAR... We have fallen behind in the most important are, which is providing enough positive visibility to ourselves to encourage insurance companies to step up and promote the "take it to the track" concept (which will make tracks more appealing to the general public). We have fallen behind by not integrating a series between IHRA and NHRA ( like the ABA-NBA, NFL-AFL, American and National league MLB teams)...

We have failed to capitalize on drag racing being an American sport. We have failed to promote our good safety record and trackside inspections as a way of encouraging more people to participate.

We do a great job of marketing to ourselves, but a horrifying job of marketing to the non-drag racing citizen.

I have left out many details and I'm sure I will get flamed for my opinion on this, and there will be cries of: The IHRA isn't competitive (remember Joe Namath?), and "We heavily promote our Junior Dragster program (The DIsney movie)... but repetive advertising is what brings in the people and we are a one trick pony in that regard (no offense to Paul Simon)... ;)

Get PRO to attack this issue from a "global" (50,000 foot) perspective... Use Don Schumacher's leadership skills and the experience of Snake and Garlits, bring the Force family and Joe Amato on board, put Eddie Hill's face in the News,(nobody can resist that smile), and bring on some younger members like Erica Enders and the other wonderful ladies we have, and some regional/local sportsmen racers and build a core team of professionals to put together a real trade association (not a sanctioning body). Offer course on economical driving practices and public safety to put some dollars in the marketing coffers and NHRA will listen.

One voice is one voice, but when I look at how the computer industry has developed in a short time with vendor neutral certifications to promote standards of competency, as well as build a war chest to fight bad legislation, I see no reason that as drag racers we cannot utilize that model and apply the core infrastructure to put our sport at the top of the heap in terms of being safer, more exciting, and more supported and other sports. We may not replace baseball but we can certainly build a format of viewership and participation that is important to the majority of households.

We can argue, whine, and otherwise agree to disagree all we want, but until professional drag racing is unified under one banner we have a fundamental disability when trying to compete with an entity such as NASCAR.

NHRA can change point programs, money, press packages, and market the sport until the cows come home, but they will fall ultimately empty until we include IHRA in the mix.

We have an identity crisis and it has been growing since "Wildlife Racing" ran out of steam decades ago...

What put drag racing into the American home were the Hot Wheels toy sets of the late 1960s and early 1970s. We do not currently have that type of offering and have not truly had it since that time.

It is the outside world that needs to welcome professional, and amateur drag racing.

I see nothing from NHRA to promote safe driving insurance discount programs to NHRA members. I see no effort to correct the flaws in insurance coverage where many companies will cancel in insurance policy of the car is used at the track (and they find out about it). I see no effort (except for the Ashley Force barbie) that has taken any roots at all with our children, that benefits the overall sport of drag racing.

We do enhance our sport... We have much better tv coverage than we did years back... We have better and more professional people at all levels... We have graduated from tobacco to more media friendly sponsors...

But... We have communities that don't like the noise... We have environmentalists working to legislate out of existance performance cars... We have far less visibility than NASCAR... We have fallen behind in the most important are, which is providing enough positive visibility to ourselves to encourage insurance companies to step up and promote the "take it to the track" concept (which will make tracks more appealing to the general public). We have fallen behind by not integrating a series between IHRA and NHRA ( like the ABA-NBA, NFL-AFL, American and National league MLB teams)...

We have failed to capitalize on drag racing being an American sport. We have failed to promote our good safety record and trackside inspections as a way of encouraging more people to participate.

We do a great job of marketing to ourselves, but a horrifying job of marketing to the non-drag racing citizen.

I have left out many details and I'm sure I will get flamed for my opinion on this, and there will be cries of: The IHRA isn't competitive (remember Joe Namath?), and "We heavily promote our Junior Dragster program (The DIsney movie)... but repetive advertising is what brings in the people and we are a one trick pony in that regard (no offense to Paul Simon)... ;)

Get PRO to attack this issue from a "global" (50,000 foot) perspective... Use Don Schumacher's leadership skills and the experience of Snake and Garlits, bring the Force family and Joe Amato on board, put Eddie Hill's face in the News,(nobody can resist that smile), and bring on some younger members like Erica Enders and the other wonderful ladies we have, and some regional/local sportsmen racers and build a core team of professionals to put together a real trade association (not a sanctioning body). Offer course on economical driving practices and public safety to put some dollars in the marketing coffers and NHRA will listen.

One voice is one voice, but when I look at how the computer industry has developed in a short time with vendor neutral certifications to promote standards of competency, as well as build a war chest to fight bad legislation, I see no reason that as drag racers we cannot utilize that model and apply the core infrastructure to put our sport at the top of the heap in terms of being safer, more exciting, and more supported and other sports. We may not replace baseball but we can certainly build a format of viewership and participation that is important to the majority of households.

I agree. Very good points made above. Rather than damaging the integrity of our sport lets market it to a wider audience.

I do think some moves have been made but as you said its all about repitition. We have driving Force and Amercan dragster on tv, we have drivers like Hillary Will showing up on games shows. we need more of that.

I'm always amazed when I stop to watch pinks, or pimp my ride or any car show and I see no ads for Drag racing.

I would also like to see a bigger push on the national coverage aout local tracks, ALL local tracks, if someone learns that they can take their daily driver out to the track that is how they will get hooked. It doesn't matter if its an ihra, nhra or other. Most people wont care. The closest track to me is an ihra track, yet I am still an nhra member. I am a drag racing fan first, not a sanctioning body fan.

Like it or not on the pro side at least Ihra is the little brother to nhra. If they worked together in promoting and looked at themselves as a minor league/major league relationship I think that it would beneift both organizations. Also leave other sanctioning bodies alone. The idea is to get people to the track. I have tried to have people watch on tv and they just don't quite get it, but after going to the track then they love it and in turn watch it on tv.

I am not a big fan of the new points system. Even so, one of my biggest irritations about it is that 17 races just aren't enough races before moving to a playoff system. It there were 18 or 20 races before the Countdown to Four kicked in I'd probably find it more acceptable. Adding 1 - 3 new races to the schedule would also make it possible to fill in those three weeks between races gaps that still exist and could even help in developing a set television broadcast schedule.

BTW, one of the primary reasons behind NASCAR's adopting the Chase format was because they have to go head-to-head with NFL for television viewers each fall. For that reason it's no coincidence that the Chase starts about the same time as start of the NFL season. When it comes to television broadcasts the NHRA is simply not in the same position as NASCAR and therefore adopting a similar format was unnecessary.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of the new points system. Even so, one of my biggest irritations about it is that 17 races just aren't enough races before moving to a playoff system. It there were 18 or 20 races before the Countdown to Four kicked in I'd probably find it more acceptable. Adding 1 - 3 new races to the schedule would also make it possible to fill in those three weeks between races gaps that still exist and could even help in developing a set television broadcast schedule.

You are on to something there.
A regular no break schedule would really help get a set tv time however with travel and the need for rain dates, it would be rough making the drivers, team, nhra staff and such go 23 straight weekends in a row

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back