NHRA rules question (1 Viewer)

NitroMustang65

Nitro Member
For anyone in the know, why are there 2 engine combinations allowed in the Dragster class, but only 1 in the Funny Car class? In my simple mind it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Thanks for any info.

My guess is,your talking about the alchohol classes.In the Dragster class they allow injected nitro and blown alchohol engines.The Funnycars only allow the blown engine.If you want to know the specific as to why,you will have to ask the powers at be in Glendora.

My guess is,your talking about the alchohol classes.In the Dragster class they allow injected nitro and blown alchohol engines.The Funnycars only allow the blown engine.If you want to know the specific as to why,you will have to ask the powers at be in Glendora.

Yes, sorry I didn't specify, but I'm asking about the so-called "Alcohol" classes in the Sportsman category.

The original class was ProComp and they had Junior Fuelers, Alcohol Funny Cars, Altereds, Gas Dragsters, Alcohol Dragsters, Turbocharged Dragsters, Injected Funny Cars and a couple of others I can't recall right now but eventually pared down to just Blown Alcohol and Injected Nitro cars

IHRA allowed injected nitro funny car for a few years, but Scott Weis ran it very succesfully and outran the class by like 2 tenths if my memory serves me correct. After that the combo was disallowed. Its a shame cause that was a fine and fast race car!!!

The unfortunate part of having the two engine combinations is that it becomes so binary: one week it's all the blown cars, the next week it's all the injected cars. Kind of like a one lane race track. Depending on the weather, one or the other setup is at a significant disadvantage.

I wonder why no one has two cars in the trailer, one blown, one injected and wheels out the appropriate one based on the weather prediction. Don't the points follow the driver?

I wonder why no one has two cars in the trailer, one blown, one injected and wheels out the appropriate one based on the weather prediction. Don't the points follow the driver?

I've wondered the same thing. I know it costs a bunch of money, but there is usually someone that comes along in every class that's willing to spend it.

Sean D

I agree, it's not like there isn't a huge financial reward at the end of the season for the Alky championship..... [/sarcasm] ;)

IHRA allowed injected nitro funny car for a few years, but Scott Weis ran it very succesfully and outran the class by like 2 tenths if my memory serves me correct. After that the combo was disallowed. Its a shame cause that was a fine and fast race car!!!

I remember reading about that car a while back. Thanks for the info though.

This is a topic that has been argued many times over the years. Not sure exactly when the NHRA ruled out the A/F FCs, but many have lobbied for their return. I believe NHRA doesn't want to have the same headache with parity that they've experienced with TAD. My thinking is, after all these years of experience with the TADs, it would be much easier to ballpark a combo for an injected fuel FC that wouldn't run away from the blown cars. Randy Goodwin used to have good input when this topic came up. For what it's worth, I would love to see it. And with Pro Mod stealing some thunder from the TAFCs, it may not be a bad idea to revisit.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back