NHRA National Event Awning Permit for E-Town (1 Viewer)

I don't know about you, but if my town were to hike my taxes to cover the potential risk associated with 1000's of out of town "guests" plus spectators ... I would be pretty pissed Mike. So which group of people do you want to piss off, the out of towners or the permanent residents?

You want the people that bring all that extra money into the area to spend more? Pull out and let the restaurants and motels cry.

I guess Joe Pisano didn't have a clue then....alright!

Seems as though he didn't (have a clue).

I have done several real estate appraisals in the area beyond the pit gate north of Arrow around White Ave in La Verne and most of the housing there was built in the teens and twenties and the rest were mid century at the latest. That area was basically fully developed before the L.A. County Fairgrounds opened. Before the suites were erected behind the water box you could see the residential neighborhoods from the grandstands on the numbered streets (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... and so forth). The running joke was that NHRA must send all the non race fan residents north of Arrow Highway on a luxury cruise the week of the Winternationals.

Last edited:
Very few houses were there when Pomona started

Ahem. Next Saturday when you get a little bored with the heat wave you may want to take a drive and look at all the craftsman and bungalo pre war and mid century homes north of Arrow Highway east and west of White Avenue on the numbered streets. Some have since been replaced with commercial and multi family apts and newer housing but there are still a whole lot of homes that pre date the Fairgrounds by a whole lotta years.

I can save you and Joe Sherwood a little gas money by encouraging you to go to Google Maps and take the little man for a stroll down all the streets behind the starting line north of Arrow Highway in Google map's street view option. Drag the little man down all the streets and tell me what you see. I'll even help you get started:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Arrow Highway and White Avenue&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c32e489b4cd8fd:0xb8176d921781b996,N White Ave & Arrow Hwy, La Verne, CA 91750&gl=us&ei=v8x1U5PlJtfooASmxILIDA&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA

If your perspective is from the pit side grandstands staring toward the Brackett Field direction I would agree with you. I was always amazed that the NHRA was even allowed to run within yards of so many homes. I figured it was because L.A. County had the fairgrounds and didn't give a crap what the residents of La Verne thought about it.

Last edited:
or lets think of this another way but it's the same damn thing, and i've experienced it firsthand with my own kids....extracurricular
sports and events in our public schools. used to be the schools covered all costs; these days each sport has a fee to the parents, busing
kids to events often has a parent fee attached, some schools are now evening cancelling their cheer-leading programs.
why!?....i don't see the teachers taking a pay cut, in fact just the opposite.

Why should teachers take a pay cut so Jr. and Sissy can play football and lead cheers? Is that really all school is for?

Why should teachers take a pay cut so Jr. and Sissy can play football and lead cheers? Is that really all school is for?
for many decades our public schools had the budget for teacher's wages and extracurriculars; recently
though the extracurriculars are being cut or subsidized by private money (parents) while teacher's wage and benefit packages
are certainly not decreasing; that is all i am saying.

for many decades our public schools had the budget for teacher's wages and extracurriculars; recently
though the extracurriculars are being cut or subsidized by private money (parents) while teacher's wage and benefit packages
are certainly not decreasing; that is all i am saying.

Teachers wages and benefits ARE decreasing in case you hadn't noticed.

And extracurricular events are just that. Extracurricular. If mommy and daddy don't want to pay for Jr to be a football hero, why should taxpayers?

Either way, this has nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread.

And extracurricular events are just that. Extracurricular. If mommy and daddy don't want to pay for Jr to be a football hero, why should taxpayers?

If thats what you want then cut out everything not envolving the hard core classes. Band, drama, dance, home ec., special ed., where do you draw the line?

greg, i am stating that school budgets used to cover teaching and extracurriculars without outside funding.
in the same manner many state and local gov't. agencies used to operate on a given budget. in recent years extra fees and
penalties see to be the norm; i am suggeting the 'canopy fees' may not be justified; martin posted earlier that they may in fact
be justified.
i am not a fan of increased gov't. spending and gov't. mingling in private business, although i realize they need to be involved
to 'police' to a certain extent....defining that 'exent' is open to discussion.

Seems as though he didn't (have a clue).

I have done several real estate appraisals in the area beyond the pit gate north of Arrow around White Ave in La Verne and most of the housing there was built in the teens and twenties and the rest were mid century at the latest. That area was basically fully developed before the L.A. County Fairgrounds opened. Before the suites were erected behind the water box you could see the residential neighborhoods from the grandstands on the numbered streets (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... and so forth). The running joke was that NHRA must send all the non race fan residents north of Arrow Highway on a luxury cruise the week of the Winternationals.

So are you telling me that the entire Fairplex area was as Populated in 1955 as it is now?

Teachers are HIGHLY UNDERPAID PROFESSIONALS!

;)

your_sarcasm_meter_must_be_broken_shirt-r96f75ee4dfaa4227818d750c0947eaa4_804gs_512.jpg

Really? Walk in their shoes for a while. And don't forget to do the after school, nights, and weekend things the good ones do.

I have done this at every job I have ever had. I don't get 2 weeks off at Christmas, 1 week in the Spring and the whole Summer off (which the State of Nevada will subsidize via unemployment). I agree they are underpaid, but so am I and most everyone else I know.

I have done this at every job I have ever had. I don't get 2 weeks off at Christmas, 1 week in the Spring and the whole Summer off (which the State of Nevada will subsidize via unemployment). I agree they are underpaid, but so am I and most everyone else I know.

Use your head man. It isn't like they get 12 months for the 9 months school is in, and then they just throw another 3 months pay at them for the summer and vacations.

Why do I bother? You are going to see what you want to see, and it is obvious you put very little value on education.

Use your head man. It isn't like they get 12 months for the 9 months school is in, and then they just throw another 3 months pay at them for the summer and vacations.

Why do I bother? You are going to see what you want to see, and it is obvious you put very little value on education.

??? I agreed they were underpaid.

My point is, they know the pay isn't great going in BUT they have a significant set of fringe benefits to offset the pay that the rest of us work-a-day schlubs do not get.

So now I am wondering why I bothered.

Sadly enough Chris, if you look at hours involved for the 9 months (its not just 9 to 5), and the actual wage (horrible for what we are asking them to do- educate our future leaders and worker ants...), then realize that they are given 25-35 people (at least) an hour who are basically clueless about the subject matter... If you went to work every day for 9 months for $32k, under the same situation, you would tell your boss to piss off quick.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back