NHRA Disclaimer (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
At each day of the Seattle event the NHRA ran a disclaimer on the big screen that said something to the effect of "by attending todays event you agree to not transmit or reproduce any description, photos, or video of the event in any public way including any ways that do not involve the exchange of money, without the express written consent of the NHRA, and only to use such items for your own personal and private use. Thank You."

I've been to a million (ok, not quite) NHRA races and have never seen that before. I assume it was done to help them limit things like the "you-tubing" (is that a word?) of the Scott crash video, and any other things.

I think this puts a nail into the thread a while back about your "rights" to your photos. And makes me wonder about the wonderful photos routinely posted and pointed to from here on the mater...???

This was created in response to the photographer who peddled his pics to AP of the Scott Kalitta accident. Don't blame them on that one.

This was created in response to the photographer who peddled his pics to AP of the Scott Kalitta accident. Don't blame them on that one.

Oh, I'm not blaming anyone. As you may recall, I said that NHRA already had that right in that thread a while ago. They certainly have reason to do it. I'm just noting that the announcement is new.

That's actually quite common in other forms of sport. Many Ticketmaster tickets have such a disclaimer on the back...in addition to the disclaimer about getting hit in the head with a hockey puck!

They've been making a similar announcement during baseball games for at least 30 years.

Jim

Thanks Bobby; that was what I had figured.

I never saw the disclaimer but I heard it announced each day over the PA system.

LOL @ Wes!!! I don't remember seeing that on any of my T-birds tix but.....:D:D:D
I think every concert I've ever attended had a similar statement on it's tickets, along with NO CAMERAS!!!

Wayne:)

That's actually quite common in other forms of sport. Many Ticketmaster tickets have such a disclaimer on the back...in addition to the disclaimer about getting hit in the head with a hockey puck!

i think my BIR tickets talk about getting hit by a hockey puck! :D
......wait,.........'snowmobile'. :p

Oh, I'm not blaming anyone. As you may recall, I said that NHRA already had that right in that thread a while ago. They certainly have reason to do it. I'm just noting that the announcement is new.

The announcements started in Denver, don't recall hearing them on the Norwalk Audiocast. Think it covers Eyecandy too.

Just read the back of my Richmond Tickets... broke out the magnifier glass, can't read half of it, biggest print is about injury to spectators, fine print I'll need a microscope...

d'kid

yeah when I heard it in denver I was a bit surprised, but thought it must have something to do with the kalitta tragedy based on the axing of the videos on youtube

At each day of the Seattle event the NHRA ran a disclaimer on the big screen that said something to the effect of "by attending todays event you agree to not transmit or reproduce any description, photos, or video of the event in any public way including any ways that do not involve the exchange of money, without the express written consent of the NHRA, and only to use such items for your own personal and private use. Thank You."

I've been to a million (ok, not quite) NHRA races and have never seen that before. I assume it was done to help them limit things like the "you-tubing" (is that a word?) of the Scott crash video, and any other things.

I think this puts a nail into the thread a while back about your "rights" to your photos. And makes me wonder about the wonderful photos routinely posted and pointed to from here on the mater...???

I think the main item here is "reproduce any description, photos, or video of the event in any public way". I'm not a lawyer, but I would take that to mean that any copyrighted pictures or video (ESPN, NHRA.COM) etc. I do not believe that NHRA can tell you not to take pictures and post them to bulletin boards, or even sell them for profit if they are your own work. People like Dave Milcerik (sp?) and countless other photographers would be out of business in a second. Heck, I think Dave DeAngelis probably bought his TAD from the money he made selling pictures.

Just read the back of my Richmond Tickets... broke out the magnifier glass, can't read half of it, biggest print is about injury to spectators, fine print I'll need a microscope...
d'kid

Karl, a regular microscope may not be enough. We can all chip in and get an electron microscope!!!
;););)

Boy, I can't wait for this one to go to court... NHRA -vs- Joe Spectator

Get me a front row ticket!

Darr,

I'm not sure they can forbid someone providing News information (written, audio or video) to AP. If it's "News" I don't think it can be regulated. I would strongly believe that NHRA could be made to hand over any News material they were trying to hide. Ultimately the Constitution would grant that right. Even the Federal Government has to hand over information due to the "Freedom of Information Act". I can't imagine any scenario where NHRA would have more rights than the government has.

That said, my guess is NHRA's attorney has them running this announcement to discourage someone from sharing News to AP or any other distributor of News content. It's a bluff at best.

John,

I'm sure agreeing with you on this one, blustery legalese pronouncements will do the job on some spectators. I want to see the court trial in person. NHRA has handed the on-track video rights to ESPN, but still photography?

Pick up the phone and dial 1-800-CALL-ACLU!

Darr

Last edited:
Folks, this has been proved time and again to be legal and enforceable in many other entertainment events such as concerts, NFL, MLB, NBA, and on and on. Dozens of people have tried and lost time and again.

You who say either a) can't wait for this to go to court, b) they can't stop me from doing what I want with my pictures, or c) this is "news", are simply wrong. NHRA owns and controls the event, it's not "news", they can limit your use of the images, video, descriptions, even stats (proven in baseball). This is all settled law.

I was just commenting on the fact that they're now really making it clear at the events. Probably, as someone noted, as a result of the you-tubing of the Kalitta video that they had YouTube remove.

Folks, this has been proved time and again to be legal and enforceable in many other entertainment events such as concerts, NFL, MLB, NBA, and on and on. Dozens of people have tried and lost time and again.

You who say either a) can't wait for this to go to court, b) they can't stop me from doing what I want with my pictures, or c) this is "news", are simply wrong. NHRA owns and controls the event, it's not "news", they can limit your use of the images, video, descriptions, even stats (proven in baseball). This is all settled law.

I was just commenting on the fact that they're now really making it clear at the events. Probably, as someone noted, as a result of the you-tubing of the Kalitta video that they had YouTube remove.

Sorry Christopher, but you're not correct when it relates to a 'News' event and especially when law enforcement and EMS are involved. News can not be depressed and there are laws that protect that, I know...I'm in the News business. NHRA can keep you from using photos and images for profit.

It's a bluff.

Sorry Christopher, but you're not correct when it relates to a 'News' event and especially when law enforcement and EMS are involved. News can not be depressed and there are laws that protect that, I know...I'm in the News business. NHRA can keep you from using photos and images for profit.

It's a bluff.
Selling a photo to the AP is for profit.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back