Metallica Fans (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
Here's a link to Metallica's latest single The Day That Never Comes and I think this song kicks ass! I am stoked for the new album to come out on September 12th and Metallica is kicking off a US tour in November. I feel like I am a teenager again listening to new music over and over.

YouTube - Metallica - The Day That Never Comes (with lyrics! 256kbps HIGH QUALITY!)

Here's a link to another new song Cyanide which they played at Ozzfest this year in Dallas.

YouTube - Metallica - Cyanide Live (08/09/08) ~High Quality Audio~

I have XM radio in my work truck & they have been running an all Metallica channel since Monday. Isn't James Hetfield a drag racing fan? seems to me I saw him on TV at the the starting line at a race.

I have XM radio in my work truck & they have been running an all Metallica channel since Monday. Isn't James Hetfield a drag racing fan? seems to me I saw him on TV at the the starting line at a race.

Yeah, he is friends with Ron Capps. When I was at the race in Sonoma in 2004 James was a guest of Ron at the track. You would think Sirius would also have a similar channel since they are the same company:mad:.

Really like those new songs, I might pick up a copy when it arrives.

If you would have asked me two years ago if I liked Metallica I would have said, "Hell no," but now I'm starting to get really into them.

EFF Metallica.

They sue Napster and now they release their album online?!?!? They are also going to make their catalogue available for Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

Lars Ulrich is a douchebag.

EFF Metallica.

They sue Napster and now they release their album online?!?!? They are also going to make their catalogue available for Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

Lars Ulrich is a douchebag.

Chris, the times have changed since the early 2000's! Do you think it was ok that I Disappear was available online before it was released? Metallica had a right to protect their music and I support them for what they did to Napster even though I was a member of that site.

Chris, the times have changed since the early 2000's! Do you think it was ok that I Disappear was available online before it was released? Metallica had a right to protect their music and I support them for what they did to Napster even though I was a member of that site.

They never understood the technology, nor allowed a marketing model to catch up to it. It was a pure money grab. Once the iPod dropped, the online music market matured, and now they are on board with the online model because guess what ... THEY CAN MAKE MONEY NOW.

Downloading music has only hurt record companies ... not artists. Big artists don't make much money from their albums, they make most of the money from touring. Smaller artists have gotten loads of exposure they would not have gotten otherwise by making their music available online (iTunes, Myspace, etc.) and have more people show up to their gigs.

So I say again ... EFF Metallica and especially Lars Ulrich. The only solace I take is that their lawsuit slowed the online music market down by 18 months to 2 years depending on who you believe, which slowed them doing an about face and making a few bucks by the same amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for artists protecting likeness rights and copyrights and making what their art is worth, just not misguided, greedy douchebags like Lars Ulrich who screw their fans.

Besides, they haven't had a good album since "Master of Puppets" :D

I've always been a hge Metallica fan and I'm looking forward to this new album (can we still call them that?). Is it a CD? An on-line download? Whatever. I love their old stuff, and I enjoy, even love, a lot of their new stuff. I really respect their willingness to change - they lost a lot of fans when Load, and especially Re-Load were released, but they were trying something different, some liked it and some didn't. By my estimation, this new song goes back in the direction of the Black album, and I'm okay with that.

The only band I enjoy more, oddly enough, is Rush... though Black Label Society is moving up fast.

Yea the local rock radio station was all about the release of it yesterday. The whole drive home from work it was new Metallica, new Metallica, new Metallica. Later on we will release the new Metallica song.

So I just had to have my ryobi battery powered radio thingy out in the yard so I could hear while doing yard work

Disappointed sums up my reaction. I didnt care for the song at all. I have all of Metallicas older stuff on my Ipod and much prefer it. I even like some of Load(of $hit) and Re-load. I dont think this album is going to be on my list...

I understand they are trying something new but it just isnt working. It would be like everyones reaction if John Force decided to quit drag racing to race NASCAR or have a mid-day cooking show or something.

Listen to the beginning. Is it just me or does it sound like they took a guitar riff from "Dont fear the reaper"? Haha I thought it sounded like they were going to play that for a second. :p

Why do people bash Metallica's later albums? I don't really care as long as there is guitar solos. If you really want to call a Metallica album "sh!t," try St. Anger.

Being a huge former Metallica fan, you would think after dumping 3 pieces of crap on their fans (load,reload,St. Anger), they would have learned. The new song sucks so bad and is so soft I would expect to hear Madonna signing it. I will download it and listen to it and then delete it, and you can bet they wont get any money from me, yes, I listen before I buy! I will bet Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles is heavier than the new cd from "The band that has become one of the most commercially successful and influential heavy metal acts"*

*Taken from the Wikipedia page on Metallica

Why do people bash Metallica's later albums? I don't really care as long as there is guitar solos. If you really want to call a Metallica album "sh!t," try St. Anger.

we're really not 'bashing' them sam; just pointing out that the early work
of most artists, whatever their genre', is most often their best, which in
the case of metallica i agree with brian and chris.

if you enjoy this new metallica music, listen and enjoy now because it will soon
be pounded through the airwaves for years to come.

i'm not a big fan of lars either.

we're really not 'bashing' them sam; just pointing out that the early work
of most artists, whatever their genre', is most often their best, which in
the case of metallica i agree with brian and chris.

Even as a Metallica fan, I agree too. People say the same thing about Rush. Def Leppard's early stuff doesn't sound anyhting like the newer stuff. Heck, even Madonna's sound changed over the years. The Deftones too. The list is endless.

I guess the point is that fans normally get hooked on a band's sound the first time they hear them, which in today's economy is usually before the band's first album is released... or very shortly thereafter. When the band becomes successful off that sound and then changes it, for whatever reason, fans sometimes get turned off because it's different than what drew them to the band in the first place. Some fans will stick around anyway. Sometimes a whole new crop will be drawn in - or... the new sound will destroy the band and thus, another in the long line of one hit, or one album wonders. And this is the circle of life in the music business.

Gotta love the Metallica backlash. :D

Personally, I love Metallica, all of it. I own all the CDs, even the ones widely regarded as bad ones (Load and Reload), I listen to all of it and am excited for the new album. I've been listening to this band since I was 14 and the first CD I ever owned was the Black Album and it changed my life.

Napster sucked. All P2P file sharing sucks, IMHO, slow download, horrible sound quality -- if the whole file downloaded at all -- and generally not worth the time or effort. So, frankly, I don't have an issue with what Metallica (and other artists) did regarding Napster. Then again, I thought the whole concept blew chunks anyway, and I end up spending money on CDs no matter what.

Chris Cook has a valid point, though, about where artists make their money. It's all in touring. But ultimately I think the whole Napster thing was about control. It's no secret that Lars and James are both control freaks and that's one of the primary reasons Jason Newsted claims he left the band -- they had such an iron grip they wouldn't really let him contribute.

I just ignore any of the control-freak nonsense that happened during the early days of digital music sharing because it shouldn't change my taste in music. If I let people's business decisions affect what music I choose to listen to I wouldn't own any music at all.

In any case, I am stoked, I happen to really like The Day That Never Comes. I listened to it three times yesterday and thought Kirk Hammett was just showing off his metal god shredding abilities at one point. Heh. I still wanted to throw up the devil horns and bang my head. But, I was kind of driving the first couple times, so I figured best keep both hands on my steering wheel.

I purchased the digital download/CD package and downloaded a whole bunch of other digital content yesterday on missionmetallica.com.

Also, I hope to go see Metallica when they come to Seattle Dec. 1, plus I've been listening the hell out of Mandatory Metallica.

By the way, Sirius and XM have not yet merged as they only recently got FCC approval to do so, thus they are not one company but still two independent companies.

But, you can still listen to all the NASCAR you want on Sirius! :D

Back to rocking out to Metallica because I love all the music they make. It's a hell of a lot better than most of the other crap you're hearing on the radio these days.

Napster sucked. All P2P file sharing sucks, IMHO, slow download, horrible sound quality -- if the whole file downloaded at all -- and generally not worth the time or effort.

Not to pick on you Kris, but if you downloaded a "horrible sound quality" MP3 on Napster, then you only have yourself to blame, as you could sort available MP3s by bitrate. I set mine at 192kbps (CD Quality) and never had a problem.

You are correct though, all P2P networks that came after Napster were not nearly as user friendly (not to mention a HUGE security risk). I have since migrated to using Newsgroups to get my MP3s, and have never had a problem getting anything new or relevant with good quality, the extreme example being Tool's (my favorite band) "10,000 Days" which was on the newsgroups a full 21 days before their release. They played Coachella BEFORE the album came out, and there were many of us in the crowd that already knew many of the lyrics ... Maynard even commented on it.

Lastly, no one should ever let the marketplace, be it digital or otherwise, dictate your taste in anything. You should always spend your money where you choose. Metallica's stance on Napster REALLY turned me off to them, particularly Lars ... to top it all off, the music they were putting out was inferior to all of their earlier efforts IMO. So they will never see a red cent from me (if I can help it) again. These were the same guys that did not make a music video until their THIRD album because they thought the genre defined music too much and they wanted the music to stand on it's own, then they wanted to argue over a few cents??? Still can't wrap my brain around that one ....

IMO, Metallica lost it after ...And Justice For All. Hiring Bob Rock to produce the black album was the first mistake. Everything I read about the writing and recording of that album was Bob Rock trying to condense the standard 8 minute Metallica song into a more radio friendly 4 1/2 minute song. Sure, in the long run, how many copies did they sell, 14,000,000? But for the hardcore fans who were there in the beginning, this was the first of a series of things that alienated them. They started to lose me with load/reload and the subsequent tour with that whole stupid Spinal Tapesque falling roadie thingie. S&M was the next step in the wrong direction but once I heard St. Anger, I was done. To me it seemed that they were trying to capture what they had in the early days, but the recording of that album was horrible, it sounded like Lars constructed his drum kit out of various sizes of tuna fish cans. I heard the new song yesterday, and my first impression was that it's just another version of Unforgiven until the chorus kicked in, but Kirk is still playing the same solo he's played since 1983. I gave it another listen as I typed this, and my feelings haven't changed much. It's better than anything they've done since 1999, but I think I'll still hold off buying it until I hear a few more songs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back