Manzo Honored at B'laster Cavalcade of Stars, Norwalk, Ohio (1 Viewer)

Top Alcohol Funny Car Legend Frank Manzo Honored at B’laster Cavalcade of Stars
Named Grand Marshall at NHRA LODRS Div. 3 Race

Norwalk, Ohio – Top Alcohol Funny Car racer Frank Manzo was surprised by being named Grand Marshall of the 5th Annual B’laster Cavalcade of Stars presented by Budweiser, by Bill Bader, Jr., president of Summit Motorsports Park. The award was given by Bader to acknowledge Manzo’s record-breaking accomplishments in the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, including his recent 200th event win in April, 2011.

Bader established the tradition of naming one of the racers at the B’laster Cavalcade of Stars at the inaugural event in 2007.

Manzo has a legendary stature in Top Alcohol Funny Car and a dedicated fan base at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio, due to his accomplishments on and off the track. Norwalk fans recall when Manzo, an underground utility contractor from Morganville N.J., pitched in to run excavating equipment to aid in water drainage in 2008 after record-setting rain hit the track. Manzo is also remembered for setting a track record minutes after pulling his car out of the trailer for his first qualifying run in 2009.
Bader called Manzo to the starting line Saturday evening for the presentation along with Division 3 Director Jay Hullinger. Bader said in part, “Summit Motorsports Park has named this year’s Grand Marshall. A Grand Marshal is someone very special. It’s someone who emulates the spirit of the sport. A hard racer, a competitive racer and most of all a racer that is true to himself and his own personal values.” Bader revealed Manzo as the surprise recipient, then continued, “he has won more NHRA National and Divisional events in Top Alcohol Funny Car and claimed more championships than anyone else. Last year he was proclaimed the 2010 Top Alcohol Funny Car World Champion.” Bader also referred to Manzo as the “gold standard of Top Alcohol Funny Car racing.”

Receiving the award, Manzo said, “This is just unbelievable.” He then credited much of his success to his crew, saying, “I’m lucky to have the great group of guys I have. Every time I go to the starting line I just try to win.” About winning his 200th race, he joked, “I wasn’t counting the number of wins and when they told me I just won number 200 I said, ‘Well, I guess I won’t be up for rookie of the year now.’”

Manzo scored his 200th NHRA Drag Racing event win in Charlotte, N.C., at the VisitMyrtleBeach.com NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway. Manzo’s victory was his 92nd NHRA national event win to go along with his 108 NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Divisional wins, giving him 200 wins in total. Manzo is the current and 14-time NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series National Champion.

Manzo pilots the Al-Anabi Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo Top Alcohol Funny Car. He was the number one qualifier at the 5th annual B’laster Cavalcade of Stars presented by Budweiser, at 5.606 seconds at 258.07 mph. Final eliminations were postponed due to persistent rain Sunday at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio. The event will be completed on Sunday, July 3.

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 7
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back