Larry Dixon Talks ... (1 Viewer)

With AJ overseeing the knob twisting.....sure.
With the thought "bringing drag racing awareness to Qatar" makes Balooshi an obvious choice for that role and AJ WILL make him a champion.

Jims right in saying asking CMac how his deal went.

I would guess that Snake got his and LD got released..I do wonder if part of the Al-Anabi contract time included the time bought out from Snake....If that is a possibilty

Good points.
Having a presence worldwide is good for the sport and it can't hurt to have an "international" driver. (Who -if I'm not mistaken- won the Pro_mod Championship last year. That ain't chopped liver.)

I think you're right Troy, I seem to remember the Sheik did buy-out LD's contract with DRP.
Say what you will but, I don't think criticism of Al-Anabi is warranted. I'm glad they're here and I hope a lot more folks around the world join us.

Larry was afforded the opportunity to drive for an exceptionally well funded team, with one of the sport's greatest minds as his crew chief. He was PAID to do so, won 19 races and a world championship during that time. It ended early. If that is "getting screwed" then sign me up, I will happily get screwed time after time.

not an impressive debut

Car#-Driver(Opp'nt)-RT----ET---Speed
255 Clay Millican 99 Khalid alBalooshi
E1 ****WINNER**** 0.081 3.818 318.92 0.102 3.917 310.55

makes me really curious as to what the real reasons where.....guess we'll have to wait for Larry or AJ to write their memoirs :)

Good points.
Having a presence worldwide is good for the sport and it can't hurt to have an "international" driver. (Who -if I'm not mistaken- won the Pro_mod Championship last year. That ain't chopped liver.)

I think you're right Troy, I seem to remember the Sheik did buy-out LD's contract with DRP.
Say what you will but, I don't think criticism of Al-Anabi is warranted. I'm glad they're here and I hope a lot more folks around the world join us.

Jim, from where do you "seem to remember" Sheik buying that contract out? Was that a topic of conversation during the dinner you were invited to at the palace in Qatar? Because I definitely remember being told that LD bought it out himself when Snake couldn't come up with a solid ride anymore.

The sheik and AJ own the team.
They can bench whoever they want and bring in whoever they want.

It might not be fair - might not even be nice but, it's probably the "fairest" firing that's ever occurred in the history of NHRA. It's like 2 years notice and he doesn't even have to show up to sit on the bench.

Ask Cory Mac how this compares to HIS deal from FRAM.

Fair huh? This is a sport where a large part of your salary is based on performance. If you aren't out there performing, you aren't earning that part of your salary. When one signs a 5 year contract, goes above and beyond to earn bonus $ and fulfill that contract by performing well, he wouldn't expect that contract to be cut short (without notice). I would venture a guess that not only did this screw him out of the bonus money, but because of the timing also screwed him out of an opportunity to set something up for this season.

And as for Cory Mac, he is a great racer, but that's like apples & oranges.

Last edited:
Larry was afforded the opportunity to drive for an exceptionally well funded team, with one of the sport's greatest minds as his crew chief. He was PAID to do so, won 19 races and a world championship during that time. It ended early. If that is "getting screwed" then sign me up, I will happily get screwed time after time.

I don't know what you do or if you like your job. But if the owner of the biggest company ever, doing what you loved assured you that you have a place to work until you retire, and the second in charge that hired you said that everything was going great, then they suddenly took it all away, I think you'd feel differently.

Add in the fact that while given a severance, it's not nearly what your potential and expected earnings would have been. Oh, and because of the timing, you probably wont be able to find anything to do for at least a year. And even though people are dying to know why you would leave something so great, if you talk about it, you'll probably be sued.

I don't know for sure that this is what happened, but it seems like a more realistic way to look at it. And I can't see anyone that loves what they do wanting to be treated like that.

not an impressive debut

Yeah, when you drop cylinders at the hit and the guy in the other lane is firing on all eight on his way to a career best, you're probably going to lose the race.

not an impressive debut

How much money do you want to wager Khalid will win the Rookie of the Year award?

Jim, from where do you "seem to remember" Sheik buying that contract out? Was that a topic of conversation during the dinner you were invited to at the palace in Qatar? Because I definitely remember being told that LD bought it out himself when Snake couldn't come up with a solid ride anymore.

It is typical when contracts are "bought out" for the new employer to do it - or make the involved employee whole - typically - by means of a signing bonus.

I have no insider knowledge of the logistics of their "deal" but, would be persuaded that this (above) is exactly how it transpired.

PS: NOBODY is promised a lifetime contract - certainly not in this sport (and it would be naive to think otherwise) and Larry is no dummy.

So many know it alls...........How many of you are out there right now?........Im guessing none.
Enough said.

So many know it alls...........How many of you are out there right now?........Im guessing none.
Enough said.

Get real!
There are enough facts, a number of statements from which one might draw some conclusions and - most important - numerous opinions.

It's an effing internet forum - enough with your "enough said". GEEZ!:eek:

Seems pretty obvious to me since LD is toeing the company line ("it's all in the press release") in both print and live interviews, that he was bought out and had to sign a non-disclosure. If he talks, the money walks.

He's gonna have to wrestle with Courtney Force for that. Good Luck.

Khalid has Alan Johnson in his back pocket and will likely have multiple wins. With as tight as FC is, Courtney and Alexis will be lucky to get 1 win. I hope I am wrong, but I think it will be an uphill battle for Courtney and Alexis.

True Wayne...they may give it to her just to avoid a prison shanking. I kid, I actually don't know her at all, but Garrett does and he says they're family is actually really nice.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! PRISON SHANKS!!!
I've only met her once but she seemed super cool and friendly. Of course that was @ the Seattle Winner's Circle last year so maybe it was an act!
NOT!

Paul i'm with you. Those 2 ladies may not get very many wins but I hope we're wrong!

Haven't watched elimins yet but happy to see on the qualifying show, Larry hanging with JR & Bob V!!! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back