Kenny Bernstein Talks (2 Viewers)

Kenny doesn't even understand the Countdown, there is only one more tier, it doesn't drop to 2.

“The sponsored cars that are out here like us will have to be there, and we want to be there, but that could affect things, especially with the four and two thing. That really cuts it down."

“I fought against the four and two thing from the very beginning. I told NHRA I thought the eight sounded great, but 10 would be better, but the four and two was really tough. "

I do agree with this however, and he's right, Mike Dunn and company have always gone out of their way to stir up this crap, even in years gone by. It does nothing for the credibility of the sport.

“I don’t think our sport can tolerate known laying down, which is why I supported the Graham Light letter. I hope we won’t see that later on, but I do know one thing. If it’s blatant and they announce it on television, we can’t stand that in our sport, and something has to be done. Otherwise our sport becomes like wrestling. "

interesting read. I was told he was one of the ones who pushed and/or supported the countdown. Yet here he seems to back away from it as it looks now, maybe the pushing came to having the 8 and a playoff system just not how it ended up.

Oh well as the slick turns......

I appreciated the honesty of team CSK. True fans would understand what was going on and others wouldn't be watching to start with. Don't try to blow smoke up my butt and act like the fans are stupid. Most drag fans know more about their sport than most others. Has anyone screamed in that other racing when a car lets their team mate pass and get 5 bonus points for leading a lap? Racing is a team sport. More now than ever.

I appreciated the honesty of team CSK. True fans would understand what was going on and others wouldn't be watching to start with. Don't try to blow smoke up my butt and act like the fans are stupid. Most drag fans know more about their sport than most others. Has anyone screamed in that other racing when a car lets their team mate pass and get 5 bonus points for leading a lap? Racing is a team sport. More now than ever.

If I recall didn't one of those other motorsports IRL or Grand Prix have a huge mess a few years ago when a teammate pulled over to let thier teammate and championship contender get the win.

I think the sanctioning body took away points or did something. Anyone remember?

I agree with Kenny that the last countdown to 4 and 2 are stupid. I could live with the top 10 deal and let them race from Indy on. I think thats alot better than the way it is now.

But if any of you think for a minute that good ole' KB wouldnt place team orders if he had 2 cars in the same class and there were championship ramifications on the line, your crazy and I dont care what he says.

Typical NHRA move. They make up their minds on something, then adjust the decision based on the reaction. If HD Partners changes anything I hope it's that mentality.

I agree with Kenny that the last countdown to 4 and 2 are stupid. I could live with the top 10 deal and let them race from Indy on. I think thats alot better than the way it is now.

But if any of you think for a minute that good ole' KB wouldnt place team orders if he had 2 cars in the same class and there were championship ramifications on the line, your crazy and I dont care what he says.

i agree justin. the down to 2 stuff is stupid. imagine if the 3rd place car is 1 point out come vegas and doesnt have a chance with 2 races to go. damn this countdown stuff is stupid!!!!!!!

Kenny doesn't even understand the Countdown, there is only one more tier, it doesn't drop to 2.

“The sponsored cars that are out here like us will have to be there, and we want to be there, but that could affect things, especially with the four and two thing. That really cuts it down."

“I fought against the four and two thing from the very beginning. I told NHRA I thought the eight sounded great, but 10 would be better, but the four and two was really tough. "

I do agree with this however, and he's right, Mike Dunn and company have always gone out of their way to stir up this crap, even in years gone by. It does nothing for the credibility of the sport.

“I don’t think our sport can tolerate known laying down, which is why I supported the Graham Light letter. I hope we won’t see that later on, but I do know one thing. If it’s blatant and they announce it on television, we can’t stand that in our sport, and something has to be done. Otherwise our sport becomes like wrestling. "

Yes it does. It drops to 4 and then to 2 for the last 2 races.

Yes it does. It drops to 4 and then to 2 for the last 2 races.

No it doesn't.

Pomona 1 thru Reading everybody gets to play The so called countdown to 8

Indy, Memphis, Dallas and Richmond are the first phase of the <ahem> playoffs, thus called the countdown to 4

Vergas 2.0 and Pomona 2.0 the final 4 play for the countdown to one

in another article w. bazemore talked about multi-car teams not really
being 'team' cars; each team and driver is an individual effort.
yes, on race day, this is true, but what kenny and others, including
j. head, are trying to convey is that if nhra pro drag racing is going
to move ahead and grow into the future, then all the
teams must act together (as a team) to provide the most honest
racing to their fans and sponsors.
Will there be 100% honesty, probably not, but if you're trying to reach
that one fan and/or sponsor who will spend his/her money in motorsports
next year and you're competing against irl, nascar, etc., then why not
try to put forth the best possible show you can.
At the current powerade $$ levels, it's not about money, it's
arguably not even about points; it's about each individual race providing
a winner in each class that honestly advanced in each round to
secure his/her victory; an opportunity for the sponsors to display their
product and/or service with a racer the fans will appreciate whether
they win or lose.
you don't think 40+ nextel cup sponsors seriously think they will win
the championship each year do you? they just want to be part of
nascar's success, success that provides brand loyalty and most
importantly for the racers it demands very healthy sponsorship contracts.

Just don't treat the fans or sponsors like idiots and expect them to believe team orders do not exist. I have to believe a sponsor that has money to invest in racing knows enough about the sport and business to realize tough and smart decisions have to be made. Racing is a sport and entertainment. Add drama to the racing and watch the fans come running. Staging duels, drivers that have a dislike for each other meeting in the race, will they take a dive, just adds to the excitement.

Just do away with all the countdown crap! :mad:

If they make it the top 10 that late in the season (Indy) the top 10 would be the only cars that could possibly mount a charge to become champion any way! :rolleyes:

It wasn't broken so why fix it and as far as team orders go all you would have to do is loosen a fitting have a leak when you come up to the line and get shut off adjust the clutch timers so you smokem anywhere down the track!
I agree it takes away from the integrity but it could be easily done.

I have no problem with an eight-car race for the title - make it one race, Pomona, for all the marbles and play hard ball.

Just do away with all the countdown crap! :mad:

If they make it the top 10 that late in the season (Indy) the top 10 would be the only cars that could possibly mount a charge to become champion any way! :rolleyes:

It wasn't broken so why fix it and as far as team orders go all you would have to do is loosen a fitting have a leak when you come up to the line and get shut off adjust the clutch timers so you smokem anywhere down the track!
I agree it takes away from the integrity but it could be easily done.

And if the top 10 are the only ones who would possibly have a chance to win the championship, why do we even need this countdown? Just leave it alone.

This "taking a dive" and "team orders" crap was never so evident until the Countdown crap started. At Reading it seemed like every interview involved a "team orders" question. Great, now any new viewer will probably be wondering what this means. Can you say, "WWF"? How about Corruption?

Now whenever a "team orders" situation will come up you could just about bet on a certain car smoking the tire. I just wonder how long this will go on until some drivers quit (or go public) because they don't want to intentionally lose to another driver?

I agree totally with KB on the laying down becoming like wrestling. And perhaps why I want to see a limit to two cars per team in each class. I know that's not the end all but it's a good start. I have some other idas too but they wouldn't be very popular with most of you.

Last edited:
If I recall didn't one of those other motorsports IRL or Grand Prix have a huge mess a few years ago when a teammate pulled over to let thier teammate and championship contender get the win.

I think the sanctioning body took away points or did something. Anyone remember?

ferrari. Barrichello let Schumacher win somewhere in europe. then at indy, Schumacher let Barrichello win. Both were obvious and really ticked off the fans.
it happened with tony kanaan and dario franchitti in the irl a few years ago also. I don't remember anyone losing points. I think Ferrari were fined for their actions at Indy.

And if the top 10 are the only ones who would possibly have a chance to win the championship, why do we even need this countdown? Just leave it alone.
Now whenever a "team orders" situation will come up you could just about bet on a certain car smoking the tire. I just wonder how long this will go on until some drivers quit (or go public) because they don't want to intentionally lose to another driver?

One of the things most of us will never know about any form of motorsports is what a driver is paid (or conversely what he or she is paying) to have a competitive ride.
Face facts . . . if you are a driver on a multicar team, you will do excatly what the owner or crew chief tells you to do. And - keep your mouth shut. Or, you can quit - probably ending your career. Another issue is that a driver may not be told that his or her car is tuned to lose. Memphis and beyond should be very interesting . . . JMHO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back