johnna dunn hurt on starting line (1 Viewer)

In total there really isn't that many incidents where spectators get hurt compare to how many passes are made. At least door cars you mostly pay attention to how chassis is working and best place to be is on rear corner of car, that way you can see front to rear.

Yep, that's it. This was right at the finish line, note chute in other lane. Also noticed some "stuff" coming out of the bottom of the engine. Man, this was crazy! I still remember it after all these years. And the crash Jim Nicoll had at Indy in the T/F final with Prudhomme. Clutch cut the car in half & Prudhomme thought Nicoll had been killed, cuz he saw the front half of the dragster sliding down the track in front of him.

Dzus injury.jpg

Here's what a Dzus fastener will do to your shoulder on a TF burnout!

Mike Kern; Will Hanna has you beat, had to go to the Hospital to get one dug out of his leg!
Cliff Morgan; yes some guy in the pits lost his kneecap, I saw the disc coming and ran, so I didn't see him go down, but did see all the people attending to him right after. It was spinning coming down 15 feet in front of him, touched the ground and only came up 18" sideways about 100 MPH!

Certainly we know the inherent dangers of our sport and NHRA and local tracks take many precautions. What I do not understand is the photos and films I see of these No Prep races and other "outlaw" type races where the starting line is packed with people right next to the cars doing burnouts, staging and launching. Are these sanctioned tracks? How can they get away with this. It seems ludicrous to me.

Hope NHRA looks at this and make rule that team members must stand to one side or other to watch car. Really proper way to watch how cars working anyway. Start throwing rocks now LoL
Never gonna happen. Teams as well as standing on the side they do need to stand behind the car as well to view different things.

I do think you have a good idea... Safety Glasses would not be a bad idea too.. I still have a scar under my right eye from a "burnout rock"...
Now, I always turn away from a car doing a burnout, or at least look down if not standing to the side...
I too was nailed by plenty of pebbles in the bo box. Clean , step back, turn slightly. NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO A MOVING CAR. Had to yank my dad out of the way one time when we both worked the starting line. I told him "I ever see you turn your back again. I'll push you into the car myself"! He never turned his back on a car again while it was backing up.

That picture was not taken at WHP.

Actually, I thought they were pretty on top of it this year with the corrals for owners, VIP's, etc., and I noticed that there was more security and was also a little tighter as well, they weren't afraid to stop people and question them. I remember seeing a friend of Connie's over at his kart by the starting line; but, that didn't stop security from having a discussion with him for a few minutes, with Connie right there vouching. (I've been at the track for 5 years and I had to walk back to my car just to get my WHP badge to get past security and go into the office after qualifying Saturday.) I just think this was just one of those accidents that happen because we're involved in a inherently dangerous activity, nothing more, and we wish her the best in her recovery.

There was a meeting at Pomona....Don Shumacher, Force, Connie and a few others. The problem was this new punk (from open wheel) doing security wouldnt let any crew members out to look at the track as well as trying to kick Prudhomme off the stating line. The teams basically said this is bullshit and let us out there or we will walk. Sponsors were there as well. I dont think that fool has a job anymore.

Everybody remembers LeMans in 1955 when 80+ spectators were killed, but not much is said about this horrible drag racing incident....

http://www.gendisasters.com/georgia/23099/covington-ga-drag-racing-accident-mar-1969

it's said that it was caused by the car's parachute capturing and killing instantly a spectator who ran towards the track to pick something up
Dropped a beer, leaned over to grab it and the parachute grabbed him up, throwing the car out of control and into the crowd.

There was a meeting at Pomona....Don Shumacher, Force, Connie and a few others. The problem was this new punk (from open wheel) doing security wouldnt let any crew members out to look at the track as well as trying to kick Prudhomme off the stating line. The teams basically said this is bullshit and let us out there or we will walk. Sponsors were there as well. I dont think that fool has a job anymore.

so if this "fool / punk" was merely following his orders, is he still to blame ? no one outside of drag racing knows who the hell prudhome is !

so if this "fool / punk" was merely following his orders, is he still to blame ? no one outside of drag racing knows who the hell prudhome is !
Noboby ordered him to keep people that belong off the starting line. Why do you think there was a meeting with Owners and Sponors saying they would pull out!

Again, hope she is feeling better

meanwhile this thread has become

"See this? Thresher shark....."
"I got that beat...I got that beat.....Dzus fastener....came outta Matt Hagen's car....6000rpm".....

Surprised a meeting was even necessary.

After giving someone a shirt that says security on it, and Heaven forbid a whistle or water pistol, too many become Barney Fife in my experiences.

giphy (1).gif

Last edited:
Drag racing has always had a danger factor to it. A few years ago, Antron Brown had a wheel come off the dragster at Wild Horse and it went into the pit side handicapped grandstands. Killed a woman in a wheel chair. Yes a freak accident, but stuff like that happens. All of us know about cars that have gone into the grandstands & killed people years ago. Kenny Bernstein ran over a crew member in his F/C once. The tracks are a lot safer now than they used to be. Guard rails are (mostly) concrete, and there is a good "seperation space" between the track & the grandstands, which is a good safety thing. I never want to see anyone hurt at the drags. One thing would be for the racers to be sure there is nothing in the race car that might fall off when they come to the line. Sigh....
I remember that and yet i dont recall nhra saying anything about it, no sorry to the family on tv or anything

I remember that and yet i dont recall nhra saying anything about it, no sorry to the family on tv or anything
Geez Jer, it happened several years ago, was a horrible freak accident, and you’re making NHRA a bad guy? Do you know what interaction NHRA had or didn’t have with the family ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back