Jack Beckman to replace Whit Bazemore at DSR (1 Viewer)

i wander if anybody else knows about beckmans attempt to drive an alcohol funny car. i heard from a reliable source that on the first run that he tried to pedal through tire shake , and drove it full throttle, head on into the wall, distroying it. the owner of the car lost everything. :eek: driving a dragster is a far cry from a funny car. the funny thing about getting a license is you just need to make a couple of clean runs. nobody can predict what a car will do on a bad run. we will see if he can hold on to it during a run like the semi's at indy between jim head and whit bazemore.

Not to quote a famous line here. "You Dont Know Jack" :mad:

o.k. let me say this and then i will leave this topic. no i don't know jack beckman. but, it seems that this arangement has been going on behind closed doors for a while and to me that sounds like backstabing. whit bazemore has given blood sweat and tears for the sport of funny cars. he has worked on ,owned and driven for others. i had a brief discussion on the phone with whit several years ago about some parts when he was selling his team off and he spoke to me like a human! some of you think he is an a$$ for the way he conducts himself , but to me he is showing how determined he is in this sport , and i feel he got the ultimate screwing that someone could get. its obvious that a contract and comitment means NOTHING to some team owners. it also seems to me mr. beckman and his deep pocketed friend have no morals or problem skeeming into a seat by waving money. if this happened during the off season it would be different because matco won't be on the car after this year. thats it. if you don't like my opinion sorry but these message boards are for everyone and i will post mine.

I'll resist the temptation to pick the whole post apart. I was simply repeating a rumor, as you say you were. I didn't see any calls for decency until a post went the other way.

However, you did just now say that YOU think that someone has no morals. That's a pretty strong statement about someone I'm sure you don't know.

I'm sure Don is legally able to do this. Like everyone says, business is business. If Whit is going to be contractually paid for the rest of the year without even driving, that tells me that this might be as much about getting someone out of the car as it is getting someone in.

Last edited:
Bruce, the fact is you are expressing a strong, negative opinion onto Jack, without knowing him, and based purely on speculation and assumption.

I'm not saying you have no right to voice your opinon, but you may just want to consider what it is based on. Just consider that it doesn't look good on you when you frame it as you have.

If you want to make the assumptions as you have, you may also want to just make several others. 1. Gary Scelzi may not be back next year, and DSR needs to keep their bases covered. That isn't any news flash, as Gary has gone on record saying that stepping back for a while might be in order. Knowing that, if I had some backing, I'd be knocking on Shoe's door to put my name in the hat in the event an opening comes up. Is it possible that this could be the way things were initiated? 2. DSR was looking to add a 4th funny car, whether it be for Tony to move over? That is another rumor going around, and that would be enough to inquire on an open seat with a dragster; again, another way things could have happened, and unforseen situations came up to throw a wrench in the gears, and again, DSR is doing what they think is needed to keep a team viable.

Look, I'm not saying that on the outside it looks ok,,, I was the first to say that Jack is entering a good thing under some potentially troubled waters. But I do know this, Jack and the Comstock's have been working all year to put a deal together that would get Jack back in the pro ranks. What is going on is the way it is done now. Aaron Olivarez is doing the same thing; finding corporate funding so he can shop for a ride. This is just the way the business side of racing works today. Anyone can go find the money, and when they have it, they can go to any team and start talking to see if there is any opportunities available, now or in the near future.

I certainly doubt that Jack and Roger went to Shoe and asked if they can buy out the seat on one of the cars. I am sure they did go to Shoe to see if there are any potential opportunites on the radar.

Another thing to take into consideration, and this goes out to many. There are plenty of people who feel as though Shoe has built his empire while using some underhanded tactics; taking sponsors away from other teams, and rendering them to the sidelines. Well, this time it looks like Shoe lost out, and with the announcement that David Powers is getting the Matco cash, I'm surprised more people are not taking the same vitriotic position against Powers for "stealing Whit's sponsor". I'm not advocating this, but just want to remind everyone how quickly tunes change, and memories fade.

Well this thread grew faster than I thought it would. Heh.

Honestly, I was pretty shocked when I got this press release in my e-mail yesterday. I've been pretty busy the past couple days cranking out copy and this news made me do a double take. I've gained a lot of respect for Whit Bazemore during the past couple months. From my limited perspective, he seems to be a good driver with a lot of experience in the sport.

I sincerely hope he finds a ride. I couldn't even begin to speculate on scenarios, but there seems to be a ton of shake up in the pro driver's ranks this year and I suspect this will continue well into the off season, so there are tons of possibilities for Bazemore.

There's a lot of interesting stuff happening at DSR. Makes me wonder what's up. Ah, well, it's Shoe's concern and I won't speculate. Just hope everything settles down in the near future.

define "the racers racer". sounds like a load of crap to me!. all you hear is how he beat cancer. o.k. thats great that he did , but is this why people think he walks on water. if he is such a great driver ,then tell me why HE doesn't have any victories from driving dexter tuttles car. J.R.Todd had 2. sounds to me like this whole deal was going on behind whits back for some time. get the car running good and then put someone else in the seat because he has a friend with money. if jack would have been driving the first part of the year when the team was strugling people would have doubted jacks ability, but now that the car is a continder lets push whit to the side. :mad:
Maybe you should do some fact checking before you post something like this!!

With regards to the racers' racer thing... Jack has been winning races in everything from brackets to CIFCA funny car to the national championship in Super Comp. Jack teaches other drag racers how to be better drag racers... not only for a living but all the time! Jack will bend over backwards to help a fellow racer in a pinch... whether he knows the person or not!

If that's not the definition of a racers' racer I don't know what is.

Now, regarding the "no wins in Dexter's car" issue you so boldly sniped about...

Maybe the fact that Jack was driving an ancient car compared to the new one J.R. is in has something to do with. Or maybe the fact that it is a completely different crew than the one that was working on the car when Jack drove it. Or maybe the fact that they have a bigger budget now has something to do with it too.

Maybe next time you should do a little homework!!

i wander if anybody else knows about beckmans attempt to drive an alcohol funny car. i heard from a reliable source that on the first run that he tried to pedal through tire shake , and drove it full throttle, head on into the wall, distroying it. the owner of the car lost everything. ...
Once again, maybe you should do some fact checking on not rely on "reliable sources".

Yes, Jack did tag the wall driving someone's alky funny car. But the car was not destroyed. And the circumstance of the "tagging" aren't even close to what you've related!!

Bruce, what's with your obvious dislike of Jack?

o.k. let me say this and then i will leave this topic. no i don't know jack beckman. but, it seems that this arangement has been going on behind closed doors for a while and to me that sounds like backstabing. whit bazemore has given blood sweat and tears for the sport of funny cars. he has worked on ,owned and driven for others. i had a brief discussion on the phone with whit several years ago about some parts when he was selling his team off and he spoke to me like a human! some of you think he is an a$$ for the way he conducts himself , but to me he is showing how determined he is in this sport , and i feel he got the ultimate screwing that someone could get. its obvious that a contract and comitment means NOTHING to some team owners. it also seems to me mr. beckman and his deep pocketed friend have no morals or problem skeeming into a seat by waving money. if this happened during the off season it would be different because matco won't be on the car after this year. thats it. if you don't like my opinion sorry but these message boards are for everyone and i will post mine.
You really don't know anything about this deal. And the above post shows your complete and utter ignorance!!

Once again, maybe you should do some fact checking on not rely on "reliable sources".

Yes, Jack did tag the wall driving someone's alky funny car. But the car was not destroyed. And the circumstance of the "tagging" aren't even close to what you've related!!

Bruce, what's with your obvious dislike of Jack?

i have already stated my opinion. its funny how on the old mater most of you hid behind screen names tearing up others. i always used my real name. now with everyone out in the open you jump on me for stating my OPINION and facts brought to my attention. so many wanted to crucify whit over the past couple years and now your shedding tears. as i said i am DONE with this thread . and if you don't like me or the way i speak my opinions , well i just won't have to look for your christmas card in the mail.

Jack Beckman is one of the finest people in our sport. He is a teacher, and a friend, to countless others. .... and he is a winner.
Don Schumacher has been a leader in drag racing from the days of his Stardust Funny Cars. He brings a businessman's approach and keen insight to the management of his team and its place in professional racing.
Now these two good people will be working together. That's great news.
Whit Bazemore's contributions and efforts are well known. He is now, apparently, in need of a new opportunity. I am confident that he will find such an opportunity and will deliver a high level of performance as a driver to his new team.
I wish them all well.
Cheers,
Ed

Have the OPINION that people have no morals all you want. Coming on here and saying it is something else. I noticed you didn't name Don Schumacher in that, seeing that he was as involved in it as anyone.

I think that some of you are so caught up in your "Bazemore love" that, when anything changes around him, you jump to villainize those involved. Not like there's a chance that any or all of his own actions might have brought this on or anything. :rolleyes:

You guys are still putting up a good fight...err argument... better yet debate. :) But thanks for stopping the "hear say" personal attacks on Jack & Whit.

I'm sure more will come to light in the next few days & weeks... this isn't the easiest business in the world obviously. Again hopefully things go well for Jack & work out in the best way for Whit too.

...its funny how on the old mater most of you hid behind screen names tearing up others. i always used my real name. now with everyone out in the open you jump on me for stating my OPINION and facts ...
Opinions are yours to have. But facts are defined as known truths. Nothing you have posted as it relates to Jack and this affair would be defined as truths.

As for hiding behind screen names...

You surely are talking about me becaue my full name has been at the end of every post I've ever made on the Mater.

i have already stated my opinion. its funny how on the old mater most of you hid behind screen names tearing up others. i always used my real name. now with everyone out in the open you jump on me for stating my OPINION and facts brought to my attention. so many wanted to crucify whit over the past couple years and now your shedding tears. as i said i am DONE with this thread . and if you don't like me or the way i speak my opinions , well i just won't have to look for your christmas card in the mail.

Hey Bruce, I'm standing with you on this one. Your sentiment mimick mine...I also think Whit got screwed. I challenge anyone on here to produce viable facts to prove otherwise.

After reading Whit's blog, its plain as day.....some people don't find it important to remain loyal and more importantly, to honor contracts....enough said.

Last edited:
No arguing about it, Whit did get the short end of the stick. BUT, that is business. You have to go where the money takes you, even if it means dumping on someone. You cannot deny Whits' talent as a driver, nor can you Jacks. I don't think Whit will have a lot of trouble getting a ride for next year, this just gives him a head start.

I can remember when Whit pulled the rug out from under my buddy Wyatt Radke...so talk about karma....but I still will side with Whit on this deal. This is one of the biggest turncoat jobs I've ever seen.

And this bullshit about the points for the Big Bud Shootout sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Jack has been shopping for a ride since the Tuttle deal ended. I like to compare this to my brother's basketball recruiting in high school, threaten to sign early so you can see what colleges are going to shit or get off the pot.

As for Jack, I met him Joliet this year, seems like a nice guy, has had some success in other classes, but he's no Whit Bazemore...not yet at least.

And what happen to the great DSR marketing machine? Not one of the sponsors plastered on the other cars wanted to step up and sponsor the Whit driven flopper? Or they were a little out of breath after slugging it out for the Monster Energy drinks deal. Snake don't have a deal signed yet, maybe they should give Chip a call...oh wait...him and Snake are good friends, thank God not everyone is a turncoat.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back