Jack Beckman to replace Whit Bazemore at DSR (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Nitro Member
DON SCHUMACHER RACING
2006 NHRA POWERade DRAG RACING SERIES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JACK BECKMAN TO REPLACE WHIT BAZEMORE AT DON SCHUMACHER RACING

INDIANAPOLIS (Sept. 12, 2006) - Don Schumacher announced today that NHRA Super Comp champion and Top Fuel racer Jack Beckman will replace Funny Car driver Whit Bazemore at this weekend's Toyo Tires NHRA Nationals at Maple Grove Raceway in Reading, Pa., and for the remainder of the 2006 POWERade Drag Racing Series.

Beckman, 40, of North Hills, Calif., recently earned his NHRA Funny Car
license driving the Matco Tools Funny Car, which will retain the Matco Tools
sponsorship through the end of 2006.

"It was a very difficult decision to make," said multi-team owner Don
Schumacher. "When Matco Tools informed me at the U.S. Nationals that it was moving its primary sponsorship to another team for the 2007 season, I was left with little choice but to look at my options for 2007 and beyond.

"I had already been in discussion with Jack for a number of months as we
were attempting to find a way to work together. When Matco Tools made its
surprise announcement, I had to look towards the future, which helped me
decide to place Jack in the Matco Tools Funny Car before the end of the
season.

"I could not assure Whit that I would obtain a sponsor of the caliber of
Matco Tools to support a Funny Car, and with drivers accruing Skoal Showdown points as of the 2006 U.S. Nationals, I believe this was the right decision. Whit also assured me that he had other opportunities to consider as well.

"My wife Sarah and I have enjoyed not only a solid professional relationship
with Whit, but a rewarding personal one since he joined DSR in 2001," added
Schumacher. "He is an excellent driver, an extremely marketable personality,
and I have no concern about his finding a seat with another well-funded,
championship-caliber team."

In order for DSR to make a smooth transition to a new sponsor for the car,
Matco Tools had informed Schumacher that it agreed with the driver change.

Bazemore's plans for 2007 are undetermined and he remains involved with DSR
for the time being.

"Don and Sarah Schumacher have given me the greatest of opportunities in my professional career," said Bazemore, "and I want to thank them both not only for those opportunities but for their friendship. Don has said that the door is always open for me to return to his team and to me that means more than anything. We enjoyed a lot of great victories together and we also weathered some tough times together.

"I have a lot of friends at DSR, especially on the Matco Tools team. And I
can honestly say that I hope they end up in the winner's circle again this
year very soon, because they deserve it."

Since joining DSR in 2001 with Matco Tools backing, Bazemore drove to two
championship runner-up finishes and has won 13 national events to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't take long for this to solidify....

Well, it sure didn't take long for Don to make the switch to Fast Jack official. I'm bummed for Whit, and I like that idea someone mentioned about JFR putting him in a 4th car for the rest of this year, but I guess if he's still on the DSR payroll, that can't happen. What a bummer. Just when you think things can't get any worse for Whit, they do. :mad:

I know I'm looking at this from the glass is half empty perspective, but I just don't see a whole lot of positives other than it giving Whit more time with his wife and son, and to work on getting a ride for next year lined up, but if that doesn't happen in the next 4-5 months, it is alot of stress and uncertainty to deal with. Not exactly the best way to spend the offseason, huh?

I feel for Whit. I understand the business perspective that Don had to take, but it sucks for Baze. Hopefully we can root for him in a TF ride next year!!

I didn't always like his methods but I'll miss Whit. He's really handled this mess with a lot of class. I'd rather see him stay in a Funny Car if possible.

Here's hoping Whit gets a ride . . .

Man I hope Whit gets another ride for next year. He kind of won me over this year, bailing out of moving car with a major fire and then driving hurt at the next race. I know business is business, but on the human side of the picture he deserves to still be out there.

Paul T.

..........boy what a year for Bazemore, first he gets socked in the face by his "team mate" then he gets kicked to the curb by his boss. I hope Whit Bazemore kicks everyones A$$ in 2007, yeah that's right :eek: :cool:

Way to go Jack!!!!!!!!! :)

you might be able to buy a seat in this day and age, but you can't buy fans. I have no intrest in beckman and lost intrest in shumacher. hopefully whit can land a top notch ride for next year and kick a$$. guess its time to look forward to next year.... go kenny!

I understand the business point of view for the skoal points, but are they more important than letting Whit have some dignity and finish out the season? Et Tu Don?

I understand the business point of view for the skoal points, but are they more important than letting Whit have some dignity and finish out the season? Et Tu Don?

HELL NO! Saying it is about Skoal points, that is some good stuff, good cover! Beckman won't even qualify for the Showdown race next year anyway, and if he does he won't win!

I would love to see Baze drive for Force. That would be a good combo if you ask me.

Without knowing the real inside skinny, it's hard to have an opinion. Kinda hard to fault Beckman for pursuing his dream, yet what's happening to Whit is not cool. I think Whit's story is an impressive one, going from taking pictures of fuel cars to making a living driving them. I hope he lands a ride, I think the sport needs him out there. Also, I would never want to see him work for Force, it's way better having those guys compete against each other.

I wish Whit all the best. And just for the record, I don't fault Beckman for Whit no longer being with DSR. I wish Jack all the best too -- he's a really good guy.:)

Aye men to that Naz. Jack without a doubt is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet either in or outside the sport of drag racing. Jack has overcome his cancer scare of a couple of years ago and I hear rumors he's going to be dad. Here he is taking on yet another challenge. I'm truly sorry that Whit was put in this position but I'm happy that Jack gets to take advantage. Sure hope Whit has many options as I just don't know how I feel about him driving a Top Fuel car.

If Marty & Mike weren't such a good pair - i think whit would do a great
job in the booth - not suggesting he not drive - only commenting on very
good analysis when he's been in the 'penalty box'

Darryl - I am with you. Best of luck to both gents...

I don't know how anyone could ever say a bad word about Jack...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back