Is drag racing a business or a sport (1 Viewer)

BigDaddyB

Nitro Member
In recent years we all have heard the familiar words in sport, It just a business" an decisions made don't have any humanity in them. The loyalty, dedication, and good results don't mean anything. Bottom line you either get it done or go away but don't go away mad. It just business.

In the Pro classes, it's 100% business unless your a billionaire or a hobby racer, and the hobby racers are fewer and fewer these days!

So Dad has been tuning the dragster since you were nee high to a bull frog, business would demand that he get out of way let someone else have a shot.

Its always cool when you can do it someone you don't know, but when that person has been with you forever it has to take a toll on you.

Bruce,

It depends on the level at which you compete. Is Tennis an exorcise activity or a Professional Sport? How about golf? If your kid plays Little League does that make him a professional athlete just because some people make millions doing the same thing?

I’m a bowler, I do it for fun and because I enjoy the guys I bowl with. There are some for whom bowling is their livelihood. I want to win every Wednesday night just as bad as they do. And I pay an fee every week, have to buy shoes, balls and other things to make me more competitive. If my team wins the league we get a cash reward. So is bowling a business for me?

Alan

I’m a bowler, I do it for fun and because I enjoy the guys I bowl with. There are some for whom bowling is their livelihood. I want to win every Wednesday night just as bad as they do. And I pay an fee every week, have to buy shoes, balls and other things to make me more competitive. If my team wins the league we get a cash reward. So is bowling a business for me?

Alan

Always good to hear from another bowler. So tell me, who's better; you or the Worsham boys?

Sean D

"When I call it a business you call it a sport and when I call it a sport you call it a business". Movie quote from North Dallas Forty, 1979. It fits here too.

Always good to hear from another bowler. So tell me, who's better; you or the Worsham boys?

Sean D

Right now I'm carrying about a 180. I did throw a 278 a couple of weeks ago. But I ain't got nothing for Worsham.....Either one of them.

Not to change the subject but if you went through the pro pits you would find at least 20 bowling bags. Mine is in Tasca's trailer-LOL

Alan

Bruce,

It depends on the level at which you compete. Is Tennis an exorcise activity or a Professional Sport? How about golf? If your kid plays Little League does that make him a professional athlete just because some people make millions doing the same thing?

Alan

Alan,

I believe it is the decision you make at some point in time you believe it will provide you aa living that you could not provide do anything else, of course of love the sport will have a lot do with the decision, then again for some poeple its matter of dollars. The moment you as a bowler go get a strenght coach, a head doctor, someone to help with form and release point, then is time to call it a profession.

Alan,

I believe it is the decision you make at some point in time you believe it will provide you aa living that you could not provide do anything else, of course of love the sport will have a lot do with the decision, then again for some poeple its matter of dollars. The moment you as a bowler go get a strenght coach, a head doctor, someone to help with form and release point, then is time to call it a profession.

So if that is the way you feel about this, what is the point of your question? Drag Racing is whatever you decide it is. Or were you taking a poll?

Alan

The sport could not exist without business. I would like to think most of the guys involved are there for the love of the sport but they won't stick around unless it is good business.

Alan,

With kids parents can take from a fun a game to play to this what you do for a living. I guess it can be what you make it but you take the fun out of it and it becomes a hold different ballgame from there. Nothing wrong with that.
I guess what trying say is when I go to the track I want to go to have fun, drag my stuff to line an race and may the best ride win. The pressures of representing a sponsor, the where am I in the points, and the other things that go with business racing I can do without.

The sport could not exist without business. I would like to think most of the guys involved are there for the love of the sport but they won't stick around unless it is good business.

Well put Chris.

My two cents is....at the Pro level it is definitely a business, however, I was speaking to sportsman racer a while back and he told me that (unless you are stinkin' rich) every class must run their race car as a business otherwise you can loose, and loose BIG TIME...not only loose the race but loose your home, your cars, your other values items and worst of all...possibly your family.

Racing like it's a business is smart, but you have to love it as well.

It's a sport for the fans. You wanna be a big time team running for a year it's strictly business meaning whatever keeps the sponsor happy.

Well put Chris.

My two cents is....at the Pro level it is definitely a business, however, I was speaking to sportsman racer a while back and he told me that (unless you are stinkin' rich) every class must run their race car as a business otherwise you can loose, and loose BIG TIME...not only loose the race but loose your home, your cars, your other values items and worst of all...possibly your family.

Racing like it's a business is smart, but you have to love it as well.

So how many of you would this thing for free. would you race for a 3 Musketeer.

Do it all the time. Winnings are gravy. The "profit" is the fun, the people, the challenge, the adrenaline, etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back