IHRA qualifying procedures (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
I had a question about the qualifying procedures used in IHRA. In the event that a qualified car is unable to make the call, does IHRA insert the first alternate into the field. In the case of the re-scheduled race at Tulsa this weekend, both Gary Densham and Tim Wilkerson aren't scheduled to return for the make-up date, and I was wondering if they will insert the 1st and 2nd alternate or if they leave those slots open as 1st round byes.:confused:

Interesting they have Gilbertson in the lineup. Does that mean he's going to skip Englishtown? I hadn't heard that he was going to.

Since he traveled to Tulsa at the originally scheduled date, but could not afford to travel to Topeka for the NHRA race the following weekend, my guess is that he is taking a run at the IHRA championship.

Maybe he's skipping the NHRA meet in hopes of competing for and winnin the IHRA Championship? He's in 19th position on the NHRA and may feel he can't make it into the TOP 8 for NHRA's Chase.. I hope more people bail out an pursue the IHRA Championship in a statement that they don't support the NHRA Chase.

The reshuffled lineups do not include "alternates." The cars that will not be returning were removed from the qualifying lists and those who were returning were re-paired based on their original qualifying times and new qualifying positions. Since eliminations never started, those who qualified but do not return get no points and those who moved up the list to fill the vacancies get points based on their new qualifying position and full prize money. The fields were closed - no new entries.

IHRA does use alternates in the first round - but an alternate does not get any additional points. The original qualifying driver gets the qualifying points and round one loser money. If the alternate advances to round two, he gets prize money, minus the amount paid to the original qualifier, but still no points. Also, alternates are inserted on the ladder in the position the missing driver qualified for, the ladder is not re-paired.

In other words, for those who do not return, it's as if they weren't there.

Had they run a round, then postponed, the fields would have been frozen and the original ladder followed.

Foley will be at Englishtown and not Tulsa. He was at the NHRA Div. One points meet at Atco this past weekend and said he was going to E'town.

Jim

The reshuffled lineups do not include "alternates." The cars that will not be returning were removed from the qualifying lists and those who were returning were re-paired based on their original qualifying times and new qualifying positions. Since eliminations never started, those who qualified but do not return get no points and those who moved up the list to fill the vacancies get points based on their new qualifying position and full prize money. The fields were closed - no new entries.

IHRA does use alternates in the first round - but an alternate does not get any additional points. The original qualifying driver gets the qualifying points and round one loser money. If the alternate advances to round two, he gets prize money, minus the amount paid to the original qualifier, but still no points. Also, alternates are inserted on the ladder in the position the missing driver qualified for, the ladder is not re-paired.

In other words, for those who do not return, it's as if they weren't there.

Had they run a round, then postponed, the fields would have been frozen and the original ladder followed.

Sorry, I guess I'm even more confused. Mr. Sullivan, you are saying that the re-shuffled line-ups DO NOT include alternates, but you also say that IHRA DOES use alternates in the first round. Is the IHRA site correct in stating that Gilbertson and Day are now inserted as alternates or not. Sorry about all the questions, but I just am confused by the above statements.:confused:

Gilbertson and Day are now in the field, but not as alternates. The drivers that are not going to return were removed from the original qualifying list and everybody that is going to return moved up to fill the gaps. After all the shuffling was done, the qualifying ladders were re-paired based on the drivers' new positions in the order. Gilbertson and Day get qualifying points based on their new position on the ladder. The drivers who do not return get 10 points (and no parting gifts).

IHRA also uses alternates - but alternates replace drivers who cannot make the call for round one, the field is not re-paired, and alternates only get 10 points. Alternates are only used when the race runs more-or-less as scheduled and a qualified driver is unable to answer the call for round one.

Since this is a rain-delayed event, after qualifying was completed but before eliminations started, the first procedure is used to set the fields. There are four major differences between alternates and "lucky dog qualifiers" (for lack of a better term) - alternates do not get qualifying points, eliminations points, or first-round loser money and they race the original opponent of the driver they replace. Lucky Dogs get all three benefits (points and money) and the pairings are shuffled to match the new lineup, just as if they had qualified in those positions in the first place.

Last edited:
REVISED PRO LADDERS FOR SKULL SHINE SOONER NATIONALS
POSTED: 2007-06-14 19:13:00 EMAIL TO A FRIEND PRINT VIEW

The following drivers have contacted IHRA headquarters to confirm their return to Tulsa Raceway Park for the completion of the Skull Shine Sooner Nationals June 23rd. Based on their confirmations, below is the revised qualifying order and first round pairings:

Knoll Gas Toroco Racing Fuels Pro Nitro TOP FUEL

1. Bruce Litton
2. Mike Strasburg
3. TJ Zizzo
4. Doug Foley
5. Luigi Novelli
6. Scotty Cannon
7. Bobby Lagana
8. Scott Palmer

Round 1: Litton vs Novelli; Strasburg vs Cannon; Zizzo vs Lagana; Foley vs Palmer

Knoll Gas Torco Racing Fuels Pro Nitro FUNNY CAR

1. Jon Capps
2. Terry Haddock
3. Dale Creasy Jr.
4. Andy Kelley
5. Jack Wyatt
6. Todd Simpson
7. Bob Gilbertson
8. James Day

Round 1: Capps vs Wyatt; Haddock vs Simpson; Creasy vs Gilbertson; Kelley vs Day

I find it interesting that this article found on the IHRA website lists Gilbertson as "having contacted IHRA to confirm their return to T-town, but Gilbertson just had a press release saying that he would be in E-town.:confused:

The press release says the Jungle Jim tribute car will be on display at Englishtown - Gilbertson will be in Tulsa.

Doug Foley is listed in Top Fuel for Tulsa - but our understanding is that he'll be in Englishtown because of prior commitments. I believe E-Town is the site of Doug's drag racing school, giving him a tough choice between the two races.

We'll post the real final qualifying lists and pairings on DRC Saturday, from Tulsa. There may be one or two others who said they'd be there - well, you know how drag racers are...

The press release says the Jungle Jim tribute car will be on display at Englishtown - Gilbertson will be in Tulsa.

Doug Foley is listed in Top Fuel for Tulsa - but our understanding is that he'll be in Englishtown because of prior commitments. I believe E-Town is the site of Doug's drag racing school, giving him a tough choice between the two races.

We'll post the real final qualifying lists and pairings on DRC Saturday, from Tulsa. There may be one or two others who said they'd be there - well, you know how drag racers are...

After reading his press release it appears Gilbertson can't wait to race in E-Town. I guess we will find out in a few days.

ProCare Rx NHRA SuperNationals: *Autolite XP/Prestone Monte Carlo*

Hadn't seen that one - looks like it's a good thing I didn't plan to post the Tulsa lineups until Saturday.

The team put one out about the Jungle Jim car displays yesterday, that's the one I thought was being referenced.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back