How NOT to act as a fan. (1 Viewer)

It amazes me that people need a book to change their outlook or to help their self esteem in life.....I need to write a book and go racing.....

Aw, Terry....c'mon. I don't usually read self-help books. It was recommended by a friend. All it really did for me was reinforce what I already knew. Sometimes we all need a little 'push'. ;)

I just try to be practical. I wouldn't tell a driver "You're going to do great" OR "You're never going to make it."

In the first place, either would be crystal ball stuff that nobody could possibly know, and it would make me appear to be ridiculous.

Second, if they're NOT going to make it, it's going to be hard enough on them anyways and they wouldn't need me piling on and making it worse, such as suggesting that maybe they suck. If they DON'T happen to have "thick skin", those words could worsen their confidence to the point that it COULD have an affect on their future performance.

To Tony's credit, I think his "thick skin" comment is saying the same thing Kelly is. It just also happens to sound like you should know the difference and just go on, never bothering to point out that it was wrong for someone to say it in the first place. Yeah, they're never going to see the discussion on this board, but I think it's at least good for us to talk about it. Maybe it'll keep someone else from being that ridiculous.

I think it's kinda like racism, that it's one of those things that will eventually work it's way out of our society. Maybe some would say that black people should have just had "thick skin" all these years when something inappropriate was said to them.

What do you think, Tony? :D

Sure I like a lot of people, but because I don't come here and type endless posts of ass kissing drivel, makes me a bad guy?

I've always tried to look at the other side of things when posting on this board...popular or unpopular.

Keep it up. There's often too much ass kissing love fests going on around here.....

Interesting thread! Interesting remarks!
I wonder if that so-called fan lashed out only to the 5 foot female drivers or if he also remembered to equally lash out at all the others who have visited the Pomona sand with the same remarks and enthusiasm?

I'd have liked to see him practice such equality.

LOL, I've been trying to tone down my ass kissing on here. Can you tell? :D

Relax, Pat/Dan/Rodge/Tak isn't here to monitor the likes of someone agreeing with another and admitting it in post form where they/he promptly cries "Butt Kisser."

I was probably raised differently, but where I came from, you openly agreed with others yet quietly disagreed to reduce the amount of friction or conflict.

It seems some here are 180 degrees off from the way I was brought up and insist any open agreement is Butt Kissing which is very bad. This same mentality sees open disagreement as refreshing and should be encouraged.

As I recall my parents teaching "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Sounds as if that's not applicable any more?

Dittos, Bobby. What I said in a more complex way, you said in a more simple way.

If a driver's going to fail, they're going to anyways and I don't know what could be constructive about a "You're never going to make it" line.

Also, someone listed the reasons why Hillary has a ride. They left one out. How about that she "WANTS TO"? I don't think it's for any of us to decide why anyone does it or how much they do or don't love it. I'm sure she has the ability to be doing a lot of other things. If it were for popularity, she'd be in NASCAR. It's certainly not for return on investment.

I was probably raised differently, but where I came from, you openly agreed with others yet quietly disagreed to reduce the amount of friction or conflict.

It seems some here are 180 degrees off from the way I was brought up and insist any open agreement is Butt Kissing which is very bad. This same mentality sees open disagreement as refreshing and should be encouraged.

As I recall my parents teaching "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Sounds as if that's not applicable any more?

Doc,

I agree to a point. Open agreement is certainly not "Butt Kissing," but by the same token, neither is open disagreement necessarily a bad thing. The caveat is respect and responsibility. That is what is often lost in the translation.

I think one of the great benefits of a message board such as this, is that it provides a forum for people to discuss differing ideas and opinions, hopefully in a respectable manner so everyone (whether they post in a particular thread or merely lurk in the background) can learn from others during the 'conversations' that take place on a variety of subjects relating, in this case, primarily to drag racing. I have disagreed with people on this site in the past and I'll probably do it in the future, but I don't belittle someone simply because their ideas, feelings, thoughts, etc. differ from mine & I expect the same in return... though I have the aforementioned "thick skin" to deal with it of it happens. If everyone got on here just so they could agree with everyone else (openly) what would be the point?

Furthermore, if I have a specific question for a member and I don't feel it's appropriate for all, I PM them - as I did to someone in this very thread. That exchange remains between me and them, where it belongs.

Had Christopher Columbus simply agreed, the world might still be flat - healthy, respectable disagreement is sometimes a good thing.

P.S. I apologize for the hijack, it seems I got off subject a little.

Last edited:
Hillary has done a great job driving, promoting the sport and learning last year. I know my brother was very proud of her and the way she handled herself the entire season. I look forward to the day when she gets her first Wally.

I find it funny that no one ever thows a "hissy fit" when a male driver ends up in the kitty litter! But ya know, it has always been that way and I am tired of the whiners! So, shut your pie hole!!!

Good luck to Hillary in 2007, she will make it to the winners circle!

Suzie......Hillary will get a Wally and that car flies but how many 'male' drivers
fail to abort a run and cross the centerline @ WOT and pass another car in the opposite lane between the guardrail? NONE....ever....Hillary was not in control on that pass and was just a passenger hoping for the best.

And I am sure your brother is supportive of her as he would be of most anyone that would provide employment.......

As you can tell...I am not a butt kisser........

I've read a book lately that states "Don't take things personally." and how to make that an agreement with yourself.

We can't control others' actions. So many times, they are a misdirection of something else going on with them. It is not OUR fault......it's their problem.

Thanks for posting that Kelly.

Mike

She was in control of the car because there was no accident! According to my brother, she did everything she was supposed to do in that situation. Are you SURE that this has never happened before? I have a feeling in the many years that drag racing has been around that it HAS happened before.

Suzie......Hillary will get a Wally and that car flies but how many 'male' drivers
fail to abort a run and cross the centerline @ WOT and pass another car in the opposite lane between the guardrail? NONE....ever....Hillary was not in control on that pass and was just a passenger hoping for the best.

And I am sure your brother is supportive of her as he would be of most anyone that would provide employment.......

and you have made how many runs in a top fuel dragster your majesty?

How many male TF drivers have crossed the centerline at full throttle and slammed into the retaining wall? :p The save Hillary made on that pass was the best I've ever seen by anyone, male or female.

I have been around this sport all my life and I have seen crash after crash involving the same scenario. I just find it interesting that they are picking on Hillary. The bottom line is, no one was hurt, the car had a little bit of sand cleanup and she got right back in the car and has done very well. I would have lost my nerve!

How many male TF drivers have crossed the centerline at full throttle and slammed into the retaining wall? :p The save Hillary made on that pass was the best I've ever seen by anyone, male or female.

it wasnt really a save, because she shouldnt have put herself in that position anyway......it happend on a friday night qualifying session.....it wasnt like this was sunday and she was going for the win, there really wasnt any reason for her to stay in the throttle as long as she did, and thats something she probably knows now, and while that episode was really close to being really ugly, it will ultimetly make her a better driver

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back