RPM Act: Government coming for motor sports (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Nitro Member
If we lived in a vacuum, the realms of politics and motorsports would not intersect. We do not, however, live in a vacuum. Politics has and will continue to impact motorsports of all forms.

There is a bipartisan proposal called the RPM act that would limit the EPA authority to regulate motorsports. It has a list of sponsors from both parties. Do research. If you feel it is a worthy act of legislation, there is a link below to contact legislators representing your state.

RPM Act Congressional Link

These replies are taken from a message board for another form of motor sports. Here is an explanation of what the EPA would like to do.

"All racing of stock-bodied cars with modified engines could become federally outlawed. Here’s the background of all the RPM Act posts you’ve been seeing. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has reinterpreted the Clean Air Act in a way that means that they have control over racing vehicles that are never used on public roads. The EPA therefore believes it is illegal to build any race car from any vehicle that was originally a production car IF that means that any part of the emissions system has been disabled or modified. If the EPA wins, it means the end of amateur drag racing, circle track racing, road racing, off-road racing, and even drifting. This includes cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Even if you don’t race, consider how this could devastate the performance aftermarket industry. @semashow has been fighting this since 2015 and has delayed a ruling, but the problem is back. SEMA is supporting the RPM Act: Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports. You can help by contacting your Congressperson to support this bill. The link contains the easiest way ever to send an digital message to the right person. Do it now. It’s Sema.org/rpm "

Here are replies from two United States Senators of the same party from consitutents who contacted them. One from Wisconsin is in favor of the act, the other from Illinois is likely to oppose the act (aka oppose motorsports). Posting for your information:

For (Tammy Baldwin D/WI)
Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns that Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations could impact converted racing vehicles. It’s good to hear from you.

I have heard from many people who are involved with racing and are worried about how EPA regulation might prohibit the conversion of emissions systems. Auto racing has a rich history in Wisconsin, and racing converted vehicles is a hobby many Wisconsinites enjoy. While there is a place for emissions standards for vehicles driven on public roads, I don’t believe that the racetrack should be burdened by unwarranted environmental regulations, and I am proud to support legislation that will ensure converted race cars are not regulated.

That’s why I cosponsored the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act (S. 2602), introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) on October 16, 2019. This bipartisan effort would provide clarification from Congress that EPA emissions control regulations will not be imposed on converted racing vehicles used only for competition. I believe this is an important step to provide certainty to Wisconsinites and people across the country who are involved with racing. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this proposal, which did not become law before the 116th Congress concluded in December 2020 and therefore would have to be reintroduced in the 117th Congress, which began on January 3, 2021.

As our nation moves forward in the 117th Congress, please be assured your thoughts will inform my views should this bill or similar legislation come before me in the U.S. Senate.

(Likely) against (Dick Durbin D/IL)
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2019 (S. 2602). I appreciate hearing from you.

This bill, introduced by Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina, would amend Title II, Section 203 of the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7522), to exclude vehicles used solely for motorsport competition. Title II sets emissions standards for motor vehicles. This bill would direct the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to add language to the Clean Air Act exempting vehicles used only for competition no later than 12 months after the law is enacted. This bill would allow people to modify their motorsport vehicles by removing pollution controls required by the Clean Air Act. Some of these modifications would increase air pollution.

The Clean Air Act authorizes the EPA to establish National Ambient Air Quality Standards to protect public health and welfare and to regulate hazardous air pollution. Exemption of motorsport vehicles from the emission standards under the Clean Air Act would reduce efforts to combat pollution. Throughout my career in Congress, I have opposed efforts to weaken this law.

This bill has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee for consideration. I will keep your thoughts in mind as this bill is discussed in the Senate.

Thank you for contacting me about this issue. Please feel free to keep in touch

Co-Sponsors in Senate
Sponsor Sen. Burr, Richard [R-NC] (Introduced 10/16/2019)
Cosponsor's
Sen. Manchin, Joe, III [D-WV]
Sen. Tillis, Thom [R-NC]
Sen. Graham, Lindsey [R-SC]
Sen. Risch, James E. [R-ID]
Sen. Capito, Shelley Moore [R-WV]
Sen. Fischer, Deb [R-NE]
Sen. Scott, Tim [R-SC]
Sen. Braun, Mike [R-IN]
Sen. Barrasso, John [R-WY]
Sen. Inhofe, James M. [R-OK]
Sen. Gardner, Cory [R-CO]
Sen. Johnson, Ron [R-WI]
Sen. Crapo, Mike [R-ID]
Sen. Cruz, Ted [R-TX]
Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]
Sen. Jones, Doug [D-AL]
Sen. Sinema, Kyrsten [D-AZ]*
Sen. Young, Todd [R-IN]
Sen. Boozman, John [R-AR]
Sen. Moran, Jerry [R-KS]
Sen. Sullivan, Dan [R-AK]
Sen. Rubio, Marco [R-FL]
Sen. Cramer, Kevin [R-ND]
Sen. Baldwin, Tammy [D-WI]*
Sen. Rounds, Mike [R-SD]*
Sen. Casey, Robert P., Jr. [D-PA]
Sen. Perdue, David [R-GA]
Sen. Peters, Gary C. [D-MI]
Sen. McSally, Martha [R-AZ]
Sen. Ernst, Joni [R-IA]

Say it ain't so Joe. While it is o.k. to Riot,Burn and Loot (for a worthy cause of course),causing that EPA all-concerning air pollution from burning plastic and rubber,toxic building debris,automobiles and random piles of trash seems to be of no concern to some lawmakers of either stripe. While Responsible, Hard Working Individuals,(and most importantly) Tax Paying citizens that choose to put a Racecar together,( giving themselves meaning and self worth ),will have that Outlet-and that is what it is- stripped away from them. Then what do we do? Just does'nt make sense.

This has nothing to do with Joe. They've been at it for a while now, with this specifically. I've personally been emailing my gov't officials about it since at least 2016. That's when everything started with the EPA attempting to ban passenger cars from being made into race cars and they clarified their position that they weren't or whatever it was. Here's a thread covering that from February of 2016 titled 'New EPA rule could end bracket racing'

I've been a member of the SEMA Action Network for 20+ years and they cover this stuff and have been since the very beginning. Fighting unfair automotive laws is their thing. I'd recommend signing up if you haven't already. They used to send out a physical newsletter every month to keep you up to date with what is going on. I likely need to update my address because they probably still send it out.

Last edited:
I went to the SEMA site and signed the petition, everybody should take a minute and do it.

Since these Senators are against any legislation that reduces the effort to curb pollution, then I'll assume that along with the passing of this bill will be several private jets for sale. Gotta set an example, no?

Hey everyone, I think this is important enough to all motorsports fans that it stay in the NHRA forum. Provided it stays civil. If it doesn't I'll lock the thread because it is important for people to see it - it's a big deal. Moving it to the politics forum would not serve the purpose of getting the information out there. So, pretty please with sugar on top, stay civil.

1616025119637.png

The armored bulldozer on the right was actually built by an irate citizen and he used it to destroy a lot of his hometown. There's an excellent documentary about the rampage on Netflix titled "Tread" I highly recommend it

The armored bulldozer on the right was actually built by an irate citizen and he used it to destroy a lot of his hometown. There's an excellent documentary about the rampage on Netflix titled "Tread" I highly recommend it
I watched it when it came out. Good Documentary.

Nothing surprises me anymore with this piece of crap administration that got installed! Killing jobs and industries are what they do best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back