Hirata's Tow Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Allan,

Hirata's Valiant tow vehicle will be really cool if it has a slant-six in it.

Hi Dave! Got a buddy that races an early Valiant with a slant six--he went in the 10s with it last year at one of the big Mopar races. Hes running in stock elim this year with (I think) an Aspen or Volare with a slant six. His name is Mike Jeffery and he calls his cars "Buzzin' Half Dozen"

Hi Dave! Got a buddy that races an early Valiant with a slant six--he went in the 10s with it last year at one of the big Mopar races. Hes running in stock elim this year with (I think) an Aspen or Volare with a slant six. His name is Mike Jeffery and he calls his cars "Buzzin' Half Dozen"

Yeah, Alan Reinhart talked about that car when it ran at Topeka last weekend-it's in an 80 diplomat-don't know what exactly one of those is-I'll have to talk to my mopar buddies who race in stock.

say what? :confused:
A slant six is a six cylinder that is not straight up and down-it's slanted over. You could get them in a hot rodded version that included a four barrel carb and was referred to as the hyperpack. It was probably the first real non V-8 that I was a real fan of and as you can tell from my avatar, when I finally got a hot rod, it was a four cylinder comp car (it's got the number 5 on it this year, so that says something about how fast it is).

A slant six is a six cylinder that is not straight up and down-it's slanted over. You could get them in a hot rodded version that included a four barrel carb and was referred to as the hyperpack. It was probably the first real non V-8 that I was a real fan of and as you can tell from my avatar, when I finally got a hot rod, it was a four cylinder comp car (it's got the number 5 on it this year, so that says something about how fast it is).

Dave, didn't they have some aluminum block slant sixes also? I think I remember Mike telling me that they tried that route, but the weight savings wasn't worth the loss of strength and durability

Yeah, Ian and Dave--Diplomat! That's it! Don't tell Johnny Cerberus that I mis-identified Mikes Mopar (or Mike either for that matter!)

Dave, didn't they have some aluminum block slant sixes also? I think I remember Mike telling me that they tried that route, but the weight savings wasn't worth the loss of strength and durability

I think the aluminum motors were very early and only in the 177" size, I don't believe they ever cast the 225" motors in aluminum.

I broke a couple... once at OCIR, while on a date, right outside the pit gate, Thanks Don and Pat Cook fer helping me fix it.... had the "Buttons" and a 904 tranny, had the bigger of the two 6's, 225cid.... now the little 180, that's the one I broke most often... mostly head gaskets.... hate 100,000 mile plus motors... lmao

I remember many years ago at the old Canberra track in Oz they used to run a raffle during the lunch break. Get an old car, drain the oil and water and you gotta guess how long it'll run before she blows. You know the deal.
Well this time they got an old Valiant with a slant 6 and it ran flat out for over 15 mins and still didn't blow. We were all on the ground laughing ....
Well after it cooled down, they started it straight up and ran it down the strip - still no oil or water ! Run forever those little Mopars !

Mark.

Terry...I'm veryfamiliar with Mike's car. I've announced him several times in the last 10 years or so. He always does deep in rounds at Monster Mopar Weekend at Gateway. I've also seen him compete at Topeka (Mopar) and KCIR. It's a VERY impressive car. I just came back from announcing a Mopar race at SGMP in Valdosta, and although there was a Slant 6 class there, I remember thinking that none of them ran like the Buzzin' Half Dozen'!

It''s often called "The leaning tower of power".It's very hard to kill a slant 6 engine,they are very dependable and live forever.Good on gas too.Too bad Chrysler went with the 3.9 V-6 ( a 318 with 2 cylinders missing) instead of putting EFI or turbocharging the \6.

After being talked about on the track PA and here, Hiratas,all, say WHAT ABOUT OUR RACECAR?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back