Head Article (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Great article on Jim Head over at CompPlus. You can't help but root for this guy, I think it would be incredible for him to stay in the hunt and maybe seal the deal for the Championship. It's just too bad that a common theme with any of these interviews is how racers are going backwards financially, more so than ever. The whole business model of pro drag racing needs to be overhauled, and I know it's beating a dead horse, but if the numbers continue to not add up right, we'll be in trouble in a few years. Anyway, best of luck Jim, for the rest of '07 and beyond.

Ya' know, does Jim have a website? I'll bet he could sell a bunch of those if he came out with a new edition.

3rd Batmobile

In the article - great by the way - it says there were 3 batmobiles built in 1987. I know Head had 1, Bernstein had 1 and I know George Barris built 1 :D
Who had the 3rd ?

Mark.

Candies & Hughes did NOT have a 'Batmobile'. In fact, their Ford T-Bird was closer than most FC's of the day to the real car. They couldn't believe what Bernstein/Armstrong got away with. All that said, McCulloch may have had the other.

Candies/Hughes had a 'batmobile' that Ford did not approve of....Came and went w/in one race..Tom Kettering worked on the car and currently has it in his garage...
Ed 'The Ace' had a swoopy Olds body as well...

I don't think ACE had one... His was wild, but not that wild. I'm thinking KB got 2 of them, and head got one. KB had a roaster with a trip into the woods at Maple Grove in 87 and lost one of them.

Ed McCulloch's car was an Olds Firenza body with a widened rear deck and a Corvette roof. Oldsmobile had two of them made; the second one went to John Force, who was using it when he won his first national event.

Candies/Hughes had a 'batmobile' that Ford did not approve of....Came and went w/in one race..Tom Kettering worked on the car and currently has it in his garage...
Ed 'The Ace' had a swoopy Olds body as well...

His name was Tom Kattleman. I saw him HHR and he looked good. He last worked on Dakin and Rupp machine.

Oswald was first because he was the money man. He was a drugest,(Legal)

Sorry I was the legal drug guy. Mark and I had a E/MP Car in the mid 70's then Mark started working at a shop with Tom. Tom worked with blown alky dragsters, we formed a team got a Don Long dragster in ProComp with Tom driving. Mark got a license and we put his 140lbs in the car mid first year. Went to T/F in '79 last year together was '81. Sorry wasn't this about Jim Head. Of course there is a connection Mark and I were building a Mod/Gas Vega before the ProComp change and many of the Vega parts came from a wrecked car that Johnny Davis had built here in Cincinnati, Johnny worked and built cars with Head. Remember 6 deg of separation we all end up related.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back