Have you ever seen a car come apart like this? (1 Viewer)

Is there anything left of Fremont? Or is it all developed?:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly the last "big event" was Fall of '88, I remember Charles Carpenter came out to run his Pro Mod 55 Chevy and was running low 7's back in the day.

Last I saw was a big empty field and huge mountain of dirt where the old starting line was. :(

I miss that place so much, spent alot of my childhood there. :(

What about any of the track or Pits?
Joe, Bro, It's all gone... Not even a tree left, you gotta let it go... lol;) Fremont will always be my favorite track to watch a race from in person... Guardrails were 30-40 feet back from track surface, and you could see everything from anywhere... The air their was the best of any track, ever...
You're gonna make me tear up man... Stop it!!:(

I'm NOT knocking the driver... but IMHO I think he stayed "In It Way Too Long" He should have gotten off the gas as soon as it started to get out of the groove... It looks like its only a 12 sec car nothing outrageous.. just driver error...

I'm NOT knocking the driver... but IMHO I think he stayed "In It Way Too Long" He should have gotten off the gas as soon as it started to get out of the groove... It looks like its only a 12 sec car nothing outrageous.. just driver error...

John, I agree, car got squirly and he didnt lift and stayed in it......driver error!

Bob, my goof on the year, '89 is correct, but my memory is that was the last "big" Saturday afternoon bracket race and there was one more Weds. night race that was actually the last one.

Paul T.

You are right but Wednesday night drags were more for the local kids to run their street cars. ;)
That last bracket race was considered the last real race on that track.
Damn I loved that track!
When the conditions were right I would put that track up against any track on the circut even now....

Jon Asher, I need to ask, why any sanctioning body would allow a track to narrow to one lane beyond the finish line? If safety is truly a priority, then this should NEVER be an issue.

I wish I knew how to post from another website... But here is what is said about WHY!!

The tracks demise came about as a rather rough end of the lease. Santa Fe Real Estate Corporation who still owns the land, decided to not renew the lease after the track had spent tons of money on improvements over the years. BRP-(Baylands Raceway Park) was kicked out, and the city of Fremont was pissed to say the least. In fact to this day I haven't heard anything changing in that relationship. The property is still somewhat vacant. Rumors abound as to why, but it sure would make a good place for a racing facility. A few years ago, it was offered back to Kniss- (Former Owner) and he told them to shove off...

Google- Fremont Dragstrip
#21 Baylands Raceway Park

They had a great winged sprint show at the 3/8 mile oval there along with a glider show that was second to none... Small airport right next to the track... And the green mountains off to the left of the track, made it one of the most beautiful places I have ever been... Plus they ran NITRO and Alky cars, like every other weekend... I spent a lot of time there... And enjoyed every minute...:)

Thanks Kel,
Apparently after they shut down the Drag Strip for development, they discovered that there was a burrowing owl, or blue spotted sea snake... And the EPA put a no-build clause down on the land... And there you have it!!
MEMORIES- :)

One a sight dedicated to Orange County raceway, they took the Present day photo and Superimposed an old photo over it to show where the actual track was. That would look awesome in this case

Thanks Kel,
Apparently after they shut down the Drag Strip for development, they discovered that there was a burrowing owl, or blue spotted sea snake... And the EPA put a no-build clause down on the land... And there you have it!!
MEMORIES- :)

DISCLAIMER: I have no specific knowledge of this particular venue.
Often, especially during the 80's and 90's the discovery of the least bit of pollution spells the end of"re-development" (and/or sale) of any property. Toxic site was broad-brushed over lots of minorly polluted places.
I understand (however, have only limited knowledge of specifics) recent utilization of "brownfields" has been encouraged by various state and federal authorities where the use makes sense (i.e. non-residential - non-school use). Judging by the prior use and lack of apparent development <and sufficient buffer from cranky residents>, re-use as a race facility would seem a no-brainer.
I wonder if anybody will approach the Railroad (must be their land arm) to get it "off-their-books"? Hey, we can dream can't we?

Last edited:
At the moment I was going to post that the place looked like Fremont, someone else confirmed it.

But regardless, Alan Reinhart is absolutely 100% correct.

If you race anything from slot cars to Top Fuel, you, as a competitor, should be insisting your track connduct strict technical and safety inspections because for all you know when you pull to the line, a car like Renfro's could be in the other lane.

Two more points: When you go to an unfamiliar track, particularly for a night race, do yourself a favor and go down to the top end to check both the shut-down area and the return road. I've been to tracks where the shut-down narrows to one lane a couple of hundred feet past the lights, and that's not something you want to discover at speed!

Last point: Don't ever let your need for speed get in the way of your better judgment. Make sure there's a professionally trained ambulance crew on hand before you strap on your helmet, because your wife, girlfriend or buddies don't need to find out the "ambulance" is a 70s vintage converted hearse that won't start when you're lying on the ground with broken bones. And the "crew" consists of two high school dropouts who weren't smart enough to handle the cash register in the concession stand!

Jon Asher

Unfortunately Jon makes a couple good points here regarding safety issues that revolve around track promoters and their attempts to cut corners.

There should NEVER be a corner cut when it comes to the safety of the people competing in the sport. During our teams match race days in the '80's I remember visiting more than one track where the ambulance was no more than a retired version of a once working unit, now hoisted on cinder blocks with weeds growing around it. I saw a man burn for nearly five minutes because a promoter was too cheap to have a fire truck on site as required when running the type of match race that was occuring.

Dont get me wrong though, the onus should also be accepted by the racers themselves. If you are running a vehicle that is not safe and one that could potentially cause a situation that may injure others, you need to give your head a shake. And if you are a competitor competing at an event that you feel the safety standards are not up to par then you have the right to walk away from that situation.

In the end it comes down to morals and peoples abilities to rationalize somewhat unappropriate behviour in their heads. Just use your head and you shouldnt have any problems.

Jon Asher, I need to ask, why any sanctioning body would allow a track to narrow to one lane beyond the finish line? If safety is truly a priority, then this should NEVER be an issue.

Not all tracks are "sanctioned" and some that are will never host a "divisional" let alone a "National" event an don't have to meet the same criteria as such.

SO I believe that is why he said what he did.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back