Have you ever seen a car come apart like this? (1 Viewer)

I didn't realize the Fremont track was that close to 880... I lived in San Jose for 2+ years and had no clue there was a track in Fremont.

If I remember correctly the last "big event" was Fall of '88, I remember Charles Carpenter came out to run his Pro Mod 55 Chevy and was running low 7's back in the day.

Last I saw was a big empty field and huge mountain of dirt where the old starting line was. :(

I miss that place so much, spent alot of my childhood there. :(

Both the Renfrow wreck and "Baylands Last Drag Race" are well documented in the Jackson Bros. 1989 video "Shoebox Dream". Great video that I have watched at least 100 times in my life.

The last pass ever down that strip was my dad's then-world-record 7.09 at 198 mph to take the win over Wayne Torkelson. Awesome footage if you watch the video.

A lot of great memories is all that is left...:(

I spent the summer of 1973 visiting my Uncle and Aunt who lived in Milpitas. Spent quite a few Wednesday evenings during their "grudge nights." Even got a timing slip or two in my uncle's '63 Dynamic 88. (Sshhhhh!) (Wish I still had them. The wallet I had them in got picked.) There was one guy who was running a '69 Charger who, in my opinion, from the snap of his exhaust and the color from his open headers at night, was definitly "tipping the can." He eventually, toward the end of that summer grenaded his engine but good.

I also remember watching the Mallicoat Bros running their twin turbo Barracuda funny car. <-----LINK! It was much quieter than a normal car, and you could hear the slicks squalling away during the burnouts and launch.

Last edited:
Jon Asher, I need to ask, why any sanctioning body would allow a track to narrow to one lane beyond the finish line? If safety is truly a priority, then this should NEVER be an issue.

Don, I can remember back in the 70's, running some heads-up races on a track that had no return road. You had had two lanes to slow down in, then you simply turned around and drove back down the racetrack to the pits! I think this was probably better than a one-lane shutdown, though.

Sorry for the "late" response.

The point raised about there being numerous tracks, mostly back in the day, that were less than safe is very true. Technically speaking, NHRA once had a rule for tracks that stated the spectators had to be a minimum specific distance from the racing surface. But when a track they wanted on their list became available, that "rule" was often ignored.

Down through the years there have probably been dozens of outlaw tracks that weren't sanctioned by any legitimate racing organization. There were also others that had recognized sanctioning body signage that weren't really sanctioned. Someone painted a sign to make participants and fans believe they were legit when they weren't.

I'm not trying to badmouth anyone's facility, but places like Summerduck Dragway in Virginia was no wider than a suburban driveway -- and not much longer, either, yet famous doorslammer runners like Nicholson and Sox match raced there all the time. Capital Raceway had a steep tree-covered hill at the end of the shut-off area (what there was of it!). U.S. 30 Dragstrip in Gary, IN had a railroad tie wall at the end. Oswego Drag Raceway was an elevated track on a berm with almost no quardrails of any kind. Heck, the old Beeline Dragstrip outside of Phoenix had single rail Armco guardrails located so far off the racing surface that an errant car would have built up more than enough speed to make it into the spectator stands had someone gotten loose. And the photographers stood IN FRONT of, not BEHIND those guardrails!

I went to Puyallup Raceway (did I get that right) in Washington years ago for a Funny Car show with the late Steve Evans and Bill Doner. I asked them about a photo pass and Evans said, "Hell, just go on out there. No one's gong to stop you."

The crowd was almost standing on the racing surface. "Who sanctions this place?" I asked.

"OHRA," replied Evans.

"What the hell is that?"

"Our Hot Rod Association!"

When you really think about it, and compare some of those old places to venues like The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, or Bristol, or the Motorplex, or Route 66 Raceway, or Norwalk, it's a wonder everyone wasn't killed long ago.

As to the ambulance issue, one of the responses was dead on (an unfortunate word choice, that!). I witnessed a fatal Top Fuel crash at an Illinois track where the ambulance was literally a relic from the late 40s (this incident took place in the late 60s). Not only did it take them almost 20 minutes to get it going, the "attendant" was just some kid working at the track. Had the driver still been alive there was absolutely no way he would have received life-saving assistance. The coroner had to be called before the car and body could be removed from the racing surface.

Safety is an on-going issue that can never be ignored. When I was lucky enough to do some driving in association with the Frank Hawley Drag Racing School I always wore far more gear than was required for Super Comp. Everything from full Nomex underwear to a suit that was "approved" for much faster classes to an eye-hole Belaclava underneath a full face Bell helmet. Even though those cars don't run 300 MPH, they can crash (Just ask young Ms. B. Force about that), and gasoline does burn.

The "It'll-never-happen-to-me" theory doesn't work in racing, and the list of injured drivers that DRAW assists every year attests to that.

Two years ago I watched the winning Super Comp driver at a POWERade race climb out of his car at the top end -- with no socks on! I don't know where the staging lane people werre when the guy climbed into his car, but what, if anything, was the guy thinking? "It'll-never-happen-to-me," probably.

Some years ago a Comp racer sued NHRA after getting burned because he didn't have his firesuit bottoms on. Who's at fault in that situation, NHRA or the idiot who climbed behind the wheel?

You know my answer.

Don't just make sure about yourself. Keep an eye ouut for what the other people are, or in this case aren't doing. It could save your life.

Jon Asher

I remember back when Fremont was going to close, that it was said the reason was the property was worth something like 25 million, which was too valuable for use as a drag strip. The story going around was it was going to become a huge shopping mall.

Say what you will about the lack of walls right against the track, but I saw numerous vehicles, cars and bikes, leave the racing surface and get back on without acquiring any damage.

Anyone else remember seeing Robby Knievel make a jump and miss the landing ramp there?

Jay

Terry, MIR in Maryland was like that as recently as the mid/late 80's. Turn around on the track and back up the side. There are other places where you need to evaluate the tracks layout as well. For instance, the return road at Lebanon Valley in NY is a bit odd. Like all others, it runs back up alongside the track, which has concrete retaining walls. The problem is, the return road is level with the TOP of the concrete and right next to the track at the most dangerous points, from the finishline to just beyond. The rest of the road is below the barrier and away from it a bit. When we tow back from a run, we try to time it in between pairs.

As for the safety equipment, it amazes me of the stories I hear, and see with my own eyes. Even after NHRA issued warnings about removing gear while still on the track, you still see it. Even the Pro's are doing it on TV.

Not only do you physically need to prepare yourself safety-wise, but mentally as well. I always try and visualize my upcoming runs and be aware of turnouts, wind, track conditions, etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back