Goodyear Statement - no response from NHRA? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
From the Goodyear statement regarding Hillary's crash - "As a conservative measure, we have suggested to the Top Fuel and Funny Car teams that they not use the tires within that production frame until this examination is completed." Quote police - don't start - this was a public announcement.
That being said . . . does anyone know if Goodyear has provided fuel teams with numbers on the tires that would indicate what this "production frame" is?
Has the "suggestion" been provided in writing to fuel teams? And . . . why is there no response from NHRA?
Only a few days until the start of the season with more questions than answers.
As usual, this is only my opinion and is not intended as criticism of NHRA or Goodyear. Any thoughts?

Re: Goodyear Statement - no respose from NHRA?

As usual, this is only my opinion and is not intended as criticism of NHRA or Goodyear. Any thoughts?

I would think good judgement would prevent comments until the engineers at Goodyear are done examining the tire. NHRA is probably doing the same with the pictures and video that they can obtain. I doubt either organization is looking for another round of bashing.

Why would the NHRA make a response? It wasn't an NHRA event. It was pre season testing at a non NHRA event. I wouldn't look for the NHRA to spend any time or money on looking into the situation. I might be wrong but I don't think so. lol

Why would the NHRA make a response? It wasn't an NHRA event. It was pre season testing at a non NHRA event. I wouldn't look for the NHRA to spend any time or money on looking into the situation. I might be wrong but I don't think so. lol

It's an NHRA sanctioned track. ;)

Las Vegas is an NHRA Sanctioned Track, and NHRA was well represented at this event. Both Danny Gracia, and Rich Shrek were on hand and inspecting the car with Hillarys crew and Goodyear. They did sonic checks and were inspecting everything.

Both Danny Gracia, and Rich Shrek were on hand and inspecting the car with Hillarys crew and Goodyear. They did sonic checks and were inspecting everything.

'Nuff said. Like someone said before, until the investigation is complete, it's not only unnecessary, but irresponsible for them to have a response.

If they were there and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb like Ralph said, then their responsibilities to this point are being fulfilled.

Sean D

I would think its best to wait until the results come out before making any official statement. I suppose the goodyear one could have been a joint statement but there's really no need until something is known.

'Nuff said. Like someone said before, until the investigation is complete, it's not only unnecessary, but irresponsible for them to have a response.

If they were there and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb like Ralph said, then their responsibilities to this point are being fulfilled.

Sean D

If that's true then why haven't we heard anything regarding Darrell Russels accident? :confused:
How long has it been?
It's well known that Julie,Darrells widow, was sueing to get it but nothing more has been mentioned.
I wonder why?

We still really don't know what cataclysmic event made the earth, but I don't see anybody trying to get off because they don't know.

Sometimes you may have no answer because there simply isn't enough information to find it. I doubt very much if there is any conspiring to hide the truth.

If that's true then why haven't we heard anything regarding Darrell Russels accident? :confused:
How long has it been?
It's well known that Julie,Darrells widow, was sueing to get it but nothing more has been mentioned.
I wonder why?

I don't know what the latest status of that deal is, but if that investigation isn't complete, then I guess I don't need to have a statement on it, either.

I understand what you're saying, Bob, but as a consumer and participant of this great sport, I have no desire to listen to empty dialogue just for the sake of politics. I'm a meat-and-potatoes kind of a guy, and I would rather the powers-that-be spend that energy getting to the bottom of the problem.

We've rolled the Darrell Russell story over and over (and this one will be no different) and I will stand by my original opinion from the old 'Mater. These cars perform at a level to which there is no training ground to gather useful data. I mean, 330+Mph in a quarter-mile from a standstill? Wow!!! Without anything out there to gather data from, the tire manufacturers are almost forced to learn as they go, and unfortunately, that comes at a price. I just think the technology of the cars and crews has overrun the technology of the tires, and the manufacturers are just having trouble catching up. That being said, if the tires truly are at fault, then we need to either slow them down until the tire technology catches up, or be more accepting of the possible consequences, as bad as they have the potential to be.

Ok, go ahead and haze me.

Sean D

Sean,
Or, we could go ahead and have a choice besides one spec. tire... long, long ago we had Firestone, Good%Year, and M&H... Is there anyone else out there that wants to play now?

Sean,
Or, we could go ahead and have a choice besides one spec. tire... long, long ago we had Firestone, Good%Year, and M&H... Is there anyone else out there that wants to play now?

I agree Karl 100%!
NHRA needs to 86 that practice.
Making a decision to use a single vendor and make it mandatory definitely makes them very much burden a large portion of the liability.
Competition is a good thing for both participants and the sanctioning body on and off the track.

I don't know what the latest status of that deal is, but if that investigation isn't complete, then I guess I don't need to have a statement on it, either.

I understand what you're saying, Bob, but as a consumer and participant of this great sport, I have no desire to listen to empty dialogue just for the sake of politics. I'm a meat-and-potatoes kind of a guy, and I would rather the powers-that-be spend that energy getting to the bottom of the problem.

We've rolled the Darrell Russell story over and over (and this one will be no different) and I will stand by my original opinion from the old 'Mater. These cars perform at a level to which there is no training ground to gather useful data. I mean, 330+Mph in a quarter-mile from a standstill? Wow!!! Without anything out there to gather data from, the tire manufacturers are almost forced to learn as they go, and unfortunately, that comes at a price. I just think the technology of the cars and crews has overrun the technology of the tires, and the manufacturers are just having trouble catching up. That being said, if the tires truly are at fault, then we need to either slow them down until the tire technology catches up, or be more accepting of the possible consequences, as bad as they have the potential to be.

Ok, go ahead and haze me.

Sean D

Sean I wouldn't haze you! ;)
I see your point and agree,I don't want to start a debate either, I was just stating a fact.
I know Darrell's family was against what Julie did but the judge agreed that she has a case and that is unfortunate for everyone involved.
I'm just glade we didn't loose another up and coming star like Hillary and because of what happened in the past it will always be considered a serious issue!

Registered member said:
I'm just glad we didn't lose another up and coming star like Hillary and because of what happened in the past it will always be considered a serious issue!

This is EXACTLY why I started this thread! Goodyear has recommended that fuel teams not run tires produced within an unspecified "production frame".
So . . . you are a fuel team owner or crew chief. Do you ignore this warning and hope that your driver makes it down the track without a tire delaminating?

Fast Jack was lucky at Phoenix and Hillary was VERY lucky at LVMS. I hope one of our heros does not run out of luck at Pomona.

Should NHRA be involved in this? YOU BET YOUR ASS THEY SHOULD!!

Hoping for a safe race this weekend - JIm

Does any other tire maker make that same size tire? Years ago when D. Gwynn was still driving he had a violent explosion and he said something like that if GOODYEAR stopped making fuel tires they (racers) would not have any tires to race with....

Registered member said:
This is EXACTLY why I started this thread! Goodyear has recommended that fuel teams not run tires produced within an unspecified "production frame".
So . . . you are a fuel team owner or crew chief. Do you ignore this warning and hope that your driver makes it down the track without a tire delaminating?

Fast Jack was lucky at Phoenix and Hillary was VERY lucky at LVMS. I hope one of our heros does not run out of luck at Pomona.

Should NHRA be involved in this? YOU BET YOUR ASS THEY SHOULD!!

Hoping for a safe race this weekend - JIm
I agree.

If I was a paid top fuel driver, I'd certainly like to know what the heck is going on with the tires BEFORE Pomona. The season hasn't even started and there are all ready problems. How long until another accident, or someone else is killed? When will the luck run out? :confused:

Chris Andrews
ColoradoDragRacing.com

Last edited:
Sean,

This was a thread on the Old Mater I think.... Basically, it comes down to Goodyear being the only game in town at this point, as none of those other manufacturers has made a drag racing tire that has gone over 275mph... The amount of technology and engineering (and the costs involved) necessary from Firestone, M&H, Hoosier, Toyo or any of the other manufacturers of racing tires to design and create a new nitro slick far overwhelms any possible profit that could be gained by the introduction of a new tire. Not to mention the liability insurance necessary.

Goodyear, for all their faults (if any), are lightyears ahead of any other tire manufacturer in the creation of a safe, reliable, consistant tire for drag racing. To achieve that kind of level, any other company would possibly need years of R&D to produce the same results. And, sadly enough, those results are always variables when it comes to the extremes generated in the nitro classes. Every day someone tries to make all of this safer. And every day somebody tries to go faster. That rubber band can only stretch so far.

So, he asked, can a fuel car hook up without doing a burn out? Let's say, oh, a dry hop and go.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back