Good job by ESPN Sunday..... (1 Viewer)

I watched the entire broadcast last night and I thought it was pretty decent other than Elmer Fudd still screwing up a few drivers/crew chiefs names. I too think they should have just let Doug alone a little more but I understand the reasoning.

PP had a silly comment after one of the many 'JFR returns' segments or maybe it was after TP had his wreck. He said something like 'They are making the cars safer, but they will never be safe enough'. Huh? What in the world is out there on the road, dragstrip or in the sky that is safe enough? If that is all he has to comment, he ought to just be quiet.
I also was very irritated that the only interview that Cory got was in his pit area after he had won 2 rounds already. He never got a top end interview the whole night, and that isn't fair. Ashley Force got an interview when she lost though, imagine that. Cory should have gotten one right after he won at least one of the 3 times. It seemed they went to commercial each time and didn't get back to talk with him upon return. Not fair to that team at all.
They need to leave Doug alone, and hopefully after this first race, the JFR and Doug Herbert stories will be done. I couldn't take seeing Doug in another interview, it made me sad, can't imagine how he felt. But he may have just been glad for the exposure that he normally doesn't get, who knows.
All in all, I am glad the season has started. It seems like a long winter without it!!

Good show and great racing and the commercial's are just a fact of life. The production show needs to bring back the top row spectator camera and it would be nice if the pit roaming camera was an HD for the eye candy!!!
"Be safe out there!"

Well Force is always going to get the majority of the air time. Thats just the way it is. He is the NHRA and I completley understand they have to put the superstars on more often than not. However I think they should atleast interview every winner starting in round 2.

I also think that 3.5 hours is a long broadcast. I'd be much happier with a 2 to 2.5 hour broadcast and cut out half the fluff stories. Ofcourse it cuts commerciall money for them. And speaking of commercials, and it might just have been here in Houston I dont know, but werent they the same ones over and over again? I mean hell, I could repeat the Carquest/Hendrick Motorsports one word for word today. It played ever break I kid not. Also along with the promo for next weeks Camping World 300 at Daytona!

Registered member said:
I am with you there. We were really sick of the Carquest/Hendrick Motorsports one for sure. I started hitting mute or changing channels the minute that parts guy appeared on the screen!! And do they promote NHRA's next event as much during NASCAR broadcasts? I don't know cause I never watch them.

And wasn't that one an OLD Hendrick commercial? Did you see Jr's car in that garage?

Oh, and btw....Ron got ZERO TV time this whole weekend. Unfortunately, he wasn't the story, so they never even talked to him. It sucks for a brand new sponsor!

I thought the coverage was really good. I see a big improvment in Paul Page. As far as people saying the show is too long, WHAT????? Have you guys ever been to an event? How long do you stay at the track? The show could be 10 hours and I think it would be great. Keep saying it's too long and ESPN and NHRA will work on giving us an hour long show. I'm just glad the season has started and there is something to look forward to.

Dave

Oh, and btw....Ron got ZERO TV time this whole weekend. Unfortunately, he wasn't the story, so they never even talked to him. It sucks for a brand new sponsor!

You are right, and he is nice to look at and listen to. Big let down for the ladies!!

All in all it WAS nice to have Drag Racing back on my TV! I loved the long show, I just wish it wasn't so redundant.......not really complaining, just giving my dos centavos!

Agreed Kelly! And I do realize it is the "John Show" but I do believe there were several interesting and worthwhile stories that went totally uncovered--how bout a quick little interview with Urs? I think that's a little bit of a unique story there--Max Naylor's new sponsor, etc etc. I just hope we are done being subjected to all the "John struggling in therapy" stills that just kept reappearing over and over.....

At one point I said to my TV, 'Hey, there's this thing called the Internet. Some of us have used it.'

OK, I know there are casual fans who haven't kept up with all the changes over the off season, and while I don't post much during the off season I read the 'Mater daily ... which is likely why all this stuff seems especially redundant to those of us who try to stay connected to drag racing whether there's events going or not.

I DVRd all of the coverage this weekend for various reasons. I ended up fast forwarding through the second go-rounds with Doug Herbert and John Force. It was painful to watch Doug tortured. I didn't talk to anyone about my dad's death for a year afterward. Granted, I was 7 years old and not necessarily prepared to cope with it, and Doug is handling the pressure admirably. Still, I agree, give the poor guy a break.

I think I'll DVR the next race, too, so I can fast forward through the stuff I've seen repeatedly. Didn't even bother watching Race Day though I had recorded it. I like John Force, I'm glad to see him racing again, but watching him too much is like eating ice cream too fast ... gives ya a brain freeze.

I find stat guy kind of distracting, to be honest, it's a bit jarring. Like a parenthetical statement smack in the middle of a sentence in a newspaper article.

I am disappointed Saliva's 'Ladies and Gentemen' has not found its way into the coverage. It feels like it was meant to be about drag racing. I actually have purchased all of their albums since first hearing them last year.

I do like the new graphics they're using and John Kernen continues to be an asset to the show. I was also impressed with Paul Page's performance as it is clear he is more comfortable in the booth and talking about drag racing. He's what we've got so I am learning to like him. :)

One down. Twenty-three to go. Yay!

To all of you who believe we are being a crybaby about this, we are upset because it could have been a whole lot better. They have the tools, the right people but whoever is running the production truck simply does not have a clue.

Why oh why would you think it would be ok to torture a man multiple times who has lost both of his sons.... Ratings??????

Or why would you continue to show the same JFR stuff over and over again??? After awhile you just get numb to it.

Or why would you continue to show the T Ped crash so many times??? The production truck people must have been in production with nascar before because they don't understand the people who go to Drag Racing are there to watch the races and NOT the wrecks.... Be it personal or physical.

This is not rocket science folks. Show the winners with interviews. If there is time then show some short personal interest storys. But show the racing and the racers. Why is this so hard to understand?????:confused:

jim

As far as people saying the show is too long, WHAT????? Have you guys ever been to an event? How long do you stay at the track? Dave

When I am at the track, I watch the racing, roam the pits, BS with other Maters, head to the RV for some cold ones and I am usually there for at least2 days, usually 3. There is a rythym to the weekend. I don't see/hear the same interviews over and over nor do I see the same replay of 2 cars striking the hides 15 times. And I dammed sure don't hear one utterance from PP. It is as much a social event as it is a racing event.

3.5 hours of redundant TV on my couch on Sunday night doesn't compare to being at the track so I choose not to compare the 2. I am glad the racing is on TV same day and all ... but it could be better with minimal effort.

Anyone who doesn't think so just watch the old National Event replays on ESPN Classic every morning. A whole National Event condensed to 1 hour and you don't really miss out on anything. I say the present National Events could be produced in the same manner with a few more interviews and human interest stuff thrown in to stretch the show to 1.5 hours, schedule it to a regular timeslot in early primetime so the folks on the East Coast aren't up too late and watch the ratings grow.

this thread needs a big dose of
Wine.jpg

and
cheese_oh_cheese.jpg

Lack of Ron Capps face time MAYBE in defference to the event sponsor - maybe same story re: Max's new drink.
I DID feel badly for Jim Dunn. Only time I saw the car was in the background when they were talking to somebody else.

That said, Jim OUGHT to get them to do some pet-oriented feature for the next broadcast. Heck, it's a new non-traditional sponsor.

I think it was great!! I guess I would not mind if the show was 16 hours long. It has been a lonnng winter without NHRA drag racing. I guess I can never have enough. Trying to figure out which races to attend this year now. Already looking forward to Phoenix, at least there is the Daytona 500 to fill up next weekends TV time.

To all of you who believe we are being a crybaby about this, we are upset because it could have been a whole lot better. They have the tools, the right people but whoever is running the production truck simply does not have a clue.

Why oh why would you think it would be ok to torture a man multiple times who has lost both of his sons.... Ratings??????

Or why would you continue to show the same JFR stuff over and over again??? After awhile you just get numb to it.

Or why would you continue to show the T Ped crash so many times??? The production truck people must have been in production with nascar before because they don't understand the people who go to Drag Racing are there to watch the races and NOT the wrecks.... Be it personal or physical.

This is not rocket science folks. Show the winners with interviews. If there is time then show some short personal interest storys. But show the racing and the racers. Why is this so hard to understand?????:confused:

jim

Jim,

I was thinking the same thing watching the show. It would be nice for them to come up with something they haven't done already. Here's a novel idea, when showing things like the JFR wreck and recovery, feed us something that hasn't been shown 100 times before, and instead of asking the same questions over and over, ask something different.

I felt very sorry for Doug Herbert, but although he probably wanted to put their mics where the sun don't shine, he handled things very well.

The Hendricks commercial is a year old, and REALLY overused!

Perhaps they should sell NHRA to John Force.....he already gets the majority of attention.

Poor Tony....bad enough he just blew up his car and burned his hand....."Tell us how you feel".

Loved Scelzi's spot. He's not right......LOL.

Too long and repetitive......just my opinion.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back