Good job by ESPN Sunday..... (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
....Chamber of Commerce weather...some "exciting" action....good story lines. A very watchable show - worthy of prime time broadcast. Hope it'll attract some new viewers.

On the whole I would agree with you but why did they have to keep sticking a mike and camera in doug herbert's face over and over again? It was painful to watch.

Attn ESPN:
Speaking of over and over again, I am begining to wonder if the production crew at ESPN thinks we have a an attention span about an inch long???? The JFR pieces were nice and the original Doug Herbert pieces were also nice. Then the coverage of TP's blowup was again pretty extensive but enough already!!!! How many times do you have to keep showing the same stuff over and over again again????? More importantly while you were fixated on repeating these things a lot of other interesting stuff never got covered...

Ok rant over. It is just that the coverage had the time to be so much better. I guess i just don't understand and of course my opinon means nothing as I am just a fan and a retired racer.

jim

On the whole I would agree with you but why did they have to keep sticking a mike and camera in doug herbert's face over and over again? It was painful to watch.

It is just that the coverage had the time to be so much better.

jim

Absolutely fair criticism. That said, 'kinda hard to avoid the story - Agree - they didn't have to keep coming back to it (Even worse as I had just watched the qualifying show on TIVO and some of the feature were repeats.
Nonethelss, those blue skys and the snowy mountains sure looked GREAT!

While I appreciate what Steve Pearcy is doing for the sport, his song is a poor substitute for Saliva's "Ladies and Gentlemen" as the theme song. It just doesn't have the punch and impact that Saliva's tune does. They need to bring Saliva back.

I watched the entire broadcast last night and I thought it was pretty decent other than Elmer Fudd still screwing up a few drivers/crew chiefs names. I too think they should have just let Doug alone a little more but I understand the reasoning.

way to long for 3 pro classes.......3.50 hrs? why?
because it's a 2.5 hour show with 1 hour of commercials.
ridiculous.
i'm not as riveted to nhra broadcasts as i have been in the past.

They did a nice job all in all. This also was my first 52" HD Plasma, Surround Sound experience!! My only beef is.... even though the stories may be "big" at the time, I still don't like how they recap practically everything they showed earlier on NHRARaceday and during the qualifying show too. I think I had the Castrol GTX logo burned in my retinas.....

As much as Mike's co-host is dissed I thought I saw effort to get better. When he errorred on stats or pronunciations he corrected himself right away. Unlike previous years. give him sometime, maybe five years?

Lee
Nitroclovers

I like Lewis the stat guy. I'm really tired of hearing about John Force's wreck & recovery & do you really need to stick a mic. in Doug Herbert's face after every run & ask him how he does it?
Let him be.

I thought it was pretty good,and got to watch on my new HDTV,its amazing. you can see everything.

3.5 hours is WAY TOO LONG. Especially for you East Coasters and folks in the flyover states.

The reason it was way too long is the same reason mentioned earlier in this thread, way too many replays over and over again and the same fargin' interview over and over again. One replay per pass is enough unless something interesting happens. Let's cut out the interviews altogether unless the driver actually wins the meet or something interesting happens that he/she has to explain or they actually say something interesting.

There is a very tight, well-produced show that only lasts about 1.5 hours in there somewhere, they are just making no effort to find it. This is where HDP's failure to acquire NHRA ultimately disappointed me the most as they are TV people and I am sure they had some ideas on how to properly package and air the product they were intending to sell.

Luckily I am on the left coast(ish) and have a DVR. So I didn't watch the first hour or so and then fast-forwarded through the commercials so I actually only had about 2.5 hours invested in viewing the show and it still felt too long and I didn't have to stay up until 11pm like some of ya'll.

Don't get me wrong, it is better than when I was a kid when you would get to see the race a month later on TNN's American Sports Calvalcade so I am not complaining so much as it would appear as I know we are very lucky to get qualifying and eliminations same day.

If you really want to get me going on a rant ... Paul Page ... ahhh nevermind ...

i don't get all the complaining. i'm just stoked that NHRA is back. i could care less about intro songs or commercials (DVR fixes that).

i don't get all the complaining. i'm just stoked that NHRA is back. i could care less about intro songs or commercials (DVR fixes that).

Even on my DVR, the show topped out at over 2 hours and it sure felt like it ... don't get me wrong, I realize how good we have it now compared to back in the day and I hope that my rant is not taken as "cry-babying" rather than constructive criticism as it was meant ...

It did begin to feel a little repetitive. I imagine they did that to 'update' the looky loo's that were channel surfing and landed on our beloved sport. I guess it was intended to keep THEM updated and interested enough to stick around and check out all the misery? Who knows.

my favorite interview of the weekend was when Dave Reif questioned Kenny Bernstein about regretting retirement, after watching TJ JR. not qualify. For about 2 seconds KB gave reif a look that any 4 letter word could describe, but quickly changed and gave a standard 'we'll get'm next time like' response

I thought it was a great broadcast, John Kernen is a great addition to the shows.
While I appreciate what Steve Pearcy is doing for the sport, his song is a poor substitute for Saliva's "Ladies and Gentlemen" as the theme song. It just doesn't have the punch and impact that Saliva's tune does. They need to bring Saliva back.
I thought to myself, "I wonder why no theme song?" Definitely was not in your face like Siliva was last year.

Okay,
Part 1, Mike stumbled on as many names as P.P., Only thing I don't understand about Paul is that he still won't know a great pass if it bit him on his @$$.
The stat guy is fun...

Part 2, First round of Fuel took 27 minutes to run, first round of flopper 49 minutes, including cleaning up after T-ped... here's a shocking Idea... show everything on the track and a 10 second re-run of the pass itself...
First rd total track time with 4 classes 1:30hr, second rd 45minutes, 3 rd 20 minutes, finals 10 minutes, 2 hrs 45 minutes total of racing, every car/bike get plenty of air...
Then fill with the 'human interest' stuff... In a 4 hour package you have 3 hours racing and fluff, one hour of commercials (counting top end interviews as commercials)

more after werk

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back