Good job by ESPN Sunday..... (1 Viewer)

I am not trying to come across as a cry baby. Too much 'my life has changed forever' exchanges from Doug Herbert (that is all they wanted to know, not his team or sponsors), too many 'tremendous recovery from John Force (yes it was, but lets move on) and too little from some winners at the end of the track. I didn't mind the length of time of the show. All my friends talked about this morning was the grammy's. That wasn't much better from what I hear.
Have fair and even coverage of who is making the news at the races, not the month or two before, and for God's sake, interview the winners after each round. Lord knows some of them (and their sponsors) don't get that each week. Cory's team deserved some air time. Period. And Doug Herbert deserves some peace. Let him find it on his own, not with camera's in his face. I still have a hard time talking about my mom, and that has been 4 months. Get a clue ESPN!!!

When I first saw that we were getting that much time for this weekend, I was pumped. There have been a lot of changes. I thought we would see more Capps, Naylor, Dunn, etc. Teams that brought new, non-traditional sponsors got a comment like "here is so and so with a new sponsor" but they would rarely mention who that was.
As everyone has said, what John Force has done is amazing. but, once per show, done. Herbert, I cannot describe how I would feel, why would I expect him to do it over and over. The website sounds like it will be great.
I will take as much coverage as I can get.
Didn't John Kernan come on here last year and ask for ideas? Maybe logical, constructive thoughts could be relayed to Production?

Yes i did ask for your ideas. that was for my own personal use, so that i would know what the hard core fans wanted to see. i thank you for the ideas and i have tried to implement those ideas when i do my research for the shows that i am involved in.

also, thanks to those of you who stopped me in the pits to say hi. i'm sorry that i didn't have a lot of time to chat but it seemed as if every time someone came up to say hello i was being sent to some other part of the pits. i apologize and i'll see y'all in gainesville!!!!!

John. Thanks for coming on again.
Would you be able to pull together a piece like someone mentioned with Jim Dunn/Tony Bartone with the pet food sponsor? Or just spotlighting a new team or sponsor during qualifying? Something like that?
Thanks.

You guys just can't quit whining about something can you, just be thankful that we can watch dragracing on tv more than once or twice a year like the old wide world of sports days, or would you people rather wish that dragracing wasn't on tv at all!!!!!!!!!!

To all of you who believe we are being a crybaby about this, we are upset because it could have been a whole lot better. They have the tools, the right people but whoever is running the production truck simply does not have a clue.

Why oh why would you think it would be ok to torture a man multiple times who has lost both of his sons.... Ratings??????

Or why would you continue to show the same JFR stuff over and over again??? After awhile you just get numb to it.

Or why would you continue to show the T Ped crash so many times??? The production truck people must have been in production with nascar before because they don't understand the people who go to Drag Racing are there to watch the races and NOT the wrecks.... Be it personal or physical.

This is not rocket science folks. Show the winners with interviews. If there is time then show some short personal interest storys. But show the racing and the racers. Why is this so hard to understand?????:confused:

jim

excellent post...

it's not about being a "cry baby", it's about wanting ESPN to present NHRA in better fashion...

Too bad Diamond P isn't still around, they were the best at making drag racing shows.

The ranting I'm tired of hearing of is, the show was too short, the show was too long, etc, etc, it's like the only thing they ever read was Goldilocks, and the Three Bears book.

Granted they could do a better job, but I'm sure the higher ups at the NHRA got the cheapest production package that ESPN offers so that they can afford new Bentley's, attorneys for DUI arrests, and other personal things.

Last edited:
I hope my posts didn't come off as whiny. I was trying not to at least. Overall, the show was pretty good. It is hard to make drag racing interesting for a new fan, die hard fans and everyone in between. Especially when the small group of fans on here have a hard time coming to agreement of their perfect show.

Although I'm with many of you that think Page has gotten better, I would still like to see some true veterans of drag racing broadcasting get their shot like Bret Kepner or my ol' buddy Brian Olson. I realize they've primarily been involved with the IHRA as far as broadcasting goes, but these guys have not only been around a long time, they've been around drag racing a long time. They're both great on the mic, and having fostered many personal relationships from within the sport, I think they could add something a little extra from both the booth and the field. Especially Brian, since he's been so deep in Evan Knoll's operation for so long.

Sean D

Registered member said:
I thought the coverage was really good. I see a big improvement in Paul Page. As far as people saying the show is too long, WHAT????? Have you guys ever been to an event? How long do you stay at the track? The show could be 10 hours and I think it would be great. Keep saying it's too long and ESPN and NHRA will work on giving us an hour long show. I'm just glad the season has started and there is something to look forward to.

Dave
Dave Labs

Here here.

Jeez people. What does it take to make you folks happy? Free tickets to the events for all? Every Monday, I log onto the Mater, and see everyone pi$$ing and moaning about this or that. "Too long!! Too short!! Too Repetitive. The commercials suck!!! (At least the lady with the Popeye arm wasn't on.) Beggars can't be choosers. If you don't like what you see, get your own darn network.

I for one enjoyed the show, and am tickled racing is back on. I thought the show's length was just about right for me, so that proves you can't make everyone happy. Remember that the show's audience aren't all as rabid about the sport as we are.

John, as always, you did a great job, and am glad you're part of the mix this year.

Since when did voicing opinions become whining? Oh, yeah.....on the internet! LOL

We'll see who starts 'whining' when y'all see this.....

Phoenix Checker Schuck's Kragen NHRA Nationals
February 22-24
Phoenix, AZ
02/24/2008 Qualifying 2:00:00 AM - 3:30:00 AM ET (ESPN2)
02/24/2008 Repeat Qualifying 11:00:00 AM - 12:30:00 PM ET (ESPN2)

:p

I found the repetitive questions to DougH painful and annoying too. I don't think ESPN should be replaying things over and over again that 90 percent of the audience can go find on nhra.com or youtube if they were in the can and missed it.

For casual observers channel surfing, let em figure out they missed something and get curious. you don't have to hit people over the head with it.

if they think they missed something interesting , and are the kind of person that will want to know more - you've got em. Play it 10 times in a row and all you do is annoy the crap out of us.

I 'm not sure I needed to see a close up of TP 's blister on this thumb either.
How voyeuristic can it get.

it's like rollerball. we're getting there folks.

watch the 1976 original sometime and think about it.

.........Remember that the show's audience aren't all as rabid about the sport as we are............

exactly my point taking 3.5 hrs. to show 3 pro classes.
when trying to attract tv audience - i would think the first 1/2 hour
of any 3.5 hour show/movie/drama/documentary/whatever had better
hook you pretty good to get you to watch for an additional 3 hrs.
i think it's asking a lot for a new fan to capture his/her attention
on one channel for that long.
not to mention the nhra, just like other motorsports, has a problem
with putting the same faces in the winner's cirlces week after week.
(aka - same story)

WTF, 2 o'clock in the morning, what's the matter with those idiotic, no drag racing showing, basketball game, hot dog eating contest, goofball poker game playing................:D

Since when did voicing opinions become whining? Oh, yeah.....on the internet! LOL

We'll see who starts 'whining' when y'all see this.....

Phoenix Checker Schuck's Kragen NHRA Nationals
February 22-24
Phoenix, AZ
02/24/2008 Qualifying 2:00:00 AM - 3:30:00 AM ET (ESPN2)
02/24/2008 Repeat Qualifying 11:00:00 AM - 12:30:00 PM ET (ESPN2)

:p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back