Gilby returns to Edmonton after 30 years (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Thirty years later Gilbertson returns to Edmonton's Castrol Raceway for the IHRA Rocky Mountain Nationals

Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson is returning to a track that he last raced on 30 years ago, Castrol Raceway in Edmonton, Alberta Canada for this weekend's IHRA Rocky Mountain Nationals.

Gilbertson, who last raced his Alcohol Funny Car there in 1977, is really looking forward to going back to Northwest Canada where he competed many times during his career.

"It's going to be way cool to go back to Edmonton and see how the place has changed," Gilbertson said. "I ran there a lot during what I call the "golden years" of drag racing, the 70s and I've got many good memories from that track. Hopefully I can add another good memory this weekend by claiming the Funny Car victory."

Gilbertson, who's currently 6th in the Torco Race Fuels Funny Car points standings is cautiously optimistic going into the event based on his most recent performances and is looking to claw his way back up the points standings.

"Our car will run 4.80s on a hot track and depending on the weather conditions we should be able to hopefully capture the last man standing points and qualify well enough to gain points on the leaders," Gilbertson added. "Another cool thing about going to Canada is the fans up there are rabid about drag racing. They only get to see the nitro cars once a year and they're very enthusiastic which gets me and the team pumped up. To give them something to cheer for we'll be running our popular orange "Jungle Jim" tribute car body that won the best appearing car award last year and "Jungle" will return to Edmonton , a track he ran at many times in the 70s."

Count me in as one of those rabid fans, I can't wait.

Hopefully a couple local guys, Bykowsky & Duchene fill out the funny car field. Top Fuel and Pro Mod looks to be well attended. We get our once a year visit from the Pro Stocks. Long range weather forecasts look to be great. The kids and I are looking forward to a fantastic weekend.

I saw this headline and read it in his blog too - I knew they were coming because I emailed BB back in Feb. and he said "you bet". I'm quite excited to have (probably) full fields in TF and FC - I'm assuming that King will be doing double duty again this year. I don't remember Gilby racing at the old Speedway Park 30 years ago - but I was just a wee lad then and I probably turned my nose up at a "mere" BB/FC (I was a nitro snob then - totally in Bonin's camp).

Should be great!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back