Gilbertson heads to Epping to defend Nitro Funny car title (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON HEADS TO EPPING TO DEFEND NITRO FUNNY CAR TITLE

Charlotte, N.C. -- It was one year ago at the 2006 Amalie Motor Oil North American Nationals at New England Dragway in Epping, New Hampshire that nitro Funny Car pilot Bob Gilbertson got one of the biggest wins of his 30 year career. Gilbertson was not only the number one qualifier but he also won the race and in the process set both ends of the IHRA World Record for the class at 4.786 seconds at 318.09 mph, a record that still stands today.

Gilbertson and his Terminator Motorsports team return to NED for this weekend's event and will be running the same "Jungle Jim" tribute car body that they blew the side off during the final round last year when the engine exploded at the finish line.

"I had Jungle riding with me last year in the final and he bought me some luck," Gilbertson said. "Since then we've had the body repaired and it's always been the most popular Funny Car body at any race we go to. Jungle has a lot of history at New England Dragway and the rabid New England fans remember him and his antics here in the 70s. I'm proud that I can keep his memory alive and hopefully he'll help me out again this year."

Gilbertson is also hungry as he needs a win this weekend to keep his points hope alive, with a good showing he has a chance at the 2007 title.

"It's make it or break it time for me and this team," Gilbertson added. "A win here will give us the points we need to stay in contention for the championship so we're going to pull out all the stops, if we can duplicate last year's performance and get the qualifying points, the record points and win the race we'll be in good shape to fight down to the wire for the title. We've got four more races after Epping and if we get on a roll we'll be there at the end."

TELEVISION SCHEDULE:

Tape delayed coverage of the North American Nationals will be televised on Saturday, November 3, 2007 on Speed TV from 5 to 6 PM.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back